SBR conversion on post ban rifle

So looked thru the posts in the NFA section but most seem to apply to pre-ban firearms.

My question is this: In MA is it legal to convert a new, registered, PTR 9R with a 16 inch barrel to an SBR?

Yes. ATF will issue the tax stamp. Just comply with the rifle AWB. Though if I was going the PTR SBR route I would start with a 9KT or 9C and just add a stock vs messing with the 9R barrel.

I'll be going through the dance for my TNW 9mm next month. With that PCC, though, once I get the stamp I can just order a 10.5" barrel from TNW.

You don’t have to wait for the stamp to order parts, order it whenever you want and keep it in it’s factory boxes and your good👍🏻
and until you get the stamp you should hang a sign on it "DIY Felony Kit, some assembly required." [smile]

The issue with that is purchasing those in MA
No real issue. A dealer has a PTR 9KT in stock. You want it. The dealer manufacturers (they need to be an 07 FFL) the pistol into a receiver. They transfer the receiver to another dealer. That dealer does the transfer to you (you do a 4473 and federal background check). You get your tax stamp. Then you go back to the first dealer and get the rest of the gun.

You don’t have to wait for the stamp to order parts, order it whenever you want and keep it in it’s factory boxes and your good👍🏻
TNW won't accept the order otherwise. From their website:

"This Item is subject to the ATF Ruling 2011-4. This Specifies that you can not own a pistol barrel if you own just the ASR Rifle without having an SBR License. When ordering this part we will need the serial number of your firearm so we can confirm you own a pistol or receive copies of your SBR License. Click Here to get the paperwork needed to get your SBR license."

Whether their interpretation of the law is correct or not doesn't really matter; it's only a few days of extra delay.

TNW won't accept the order otherwise. From their website:

"This Item is subject to the ATF Ruling 2011-4. This Specifies that you can not own a pistol barrel if you own just the ASR Rifle without having an SBR License. When ordering this part we will need the serial number of your firearm so we can confirm you own a pistol or receive copies of your SBR License. Click Here to get the paperwork needed to get your SBR license."

Whether their interpretation of the law is correct or not doesn't really matter; it's only a few days of extra delay.
What the hell is an SBR license!😂😂😂 and who the hell is TNW😂😂😂. If a vendor wants to see a copy of your tax stamp i would tell them to pound sand.

Back
Top Bottom