Savage Model 10 Question

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Savage Model 10 tactical rifle from Kittery and have a question for you Savage guys out there. The rifle is a heavy barrel, free-float in .223 with what looks to be an AR-style flash hider with two lugs on either side. In addition, the bolt features an oversize, teardrop-style handle. I have searched online for any reference to this gun, but have only found information pertaining to the newest models of the Savage tactical line. What is the purpose of the flash hider with the two lugs on either side? Is it an aftermarket part, or original to Savage? And, am I right in guessing that the two lugs are for attaching a surpressor? I believe that this model was/is used by various LE agencies.......

I'm not all that familiar with bolt-action tac-rifles.......I'm more of an AR guy, but the Savage in .223 is a nice companion gun for my AR. I can't wait to take it for a test drive to see how well she shoots.......

SigFan.

I have a Savage Model 10 also but mine has no flash suppressor or hider whatsomever. My guess would be that it was added after the original sale. They are nice rifles. Just remember, it is chambered for .223 Rem so do not use 5.56mm ammo in it.

SavageModel10FP.jpg

Do they look like these?

Bi-Lock%20Mounts.jpg

Gemtech Bi-Lock suppressor mounts......aftermarket.

Changing bolt handles on a Savage only requires an allen wrench, so your bolt handle could be a Savage tactical (like on a 10FP), or one of several aftermarket companies that have made them. For example:

Bolt_Handles.jpg

These are from Sharp Shooter Supply - a good Savage gunsmith with a very long waiting list. [sad]

Is your barrel marked Savage? Changing barrels on them is easy enough that finding one without the original barrel is unsurprising. Savageshooters.com has a lot of very useful information on the 10/110 series Savages. Make sure that the rear of the receiver around the safety and bolt notch isn't contacting the stock - that can do some odd things to accuracy. I leave enough space that I can slide an index card all the way around the back.

They are nice rifles, and almost everything on them is a do-it-yourself project. I like them because of their support of lefties, easy modification, accuracy - and I used to work a couple miles from the factory. Support local industry, and all that!

Sharp Shooter Supply has the factory oversize bolt handles listed on their site, but may not have any left.They used to make their tactical bolt in lefty, but don't list it any more. Those were nice - I got a couple before they ran out.

Stockade Gunstocks lists left hand tactical bolt handles, too. I haven't seen those yet, but it would be worth a try. I haven't seen their machine work, but the stock I bought from them is really nice.

Keep an eye on the Savageshooters forum. "Where can I get lefty parts?" is a fairly regular topic over there.

Back
Top Bottom