Sandwich trooper guilty of improper storage

The gun was not loaded, according to Sandwich police, but during their investigation police found a loaded clip in the same unlocked drawer.

Every time I read an article that says something like this, all I think about is how terrible the writer is. If you're going to write an article about something, then take the time to do a bit of research and learn the terminilogy. Having watched "Boys in the Hood" does not qualify you as a Firearms Expert.

Every time I read an article that says something like this, all I think about is how terrible the writer is. If you're going to write an article about something, then take the time to do a bit of research and learn the terminilogy. Having watched "Boys in the Hood" does not qualify you as a Firearms Expert.

Agreed. This is the same guy that the press said his son got ahold of his "large capacity service revolver" ...

Found this loaded in my drawer this morning:

2707m.jpg

As this hearing was administrative in nature, I think they were sending a message that even though the DA's might not prosecute LEO's for improper storage of firearms (I believe Barnstable DA refused to prosecute Balduc), the administration intends to discipline those not following proper practice and procedure.

He was charged, but the judge granted the defenses motion to dismiss based on the recent Heller ruling.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090221/NEWS/902210317

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56913

The entire process was a show to convince the public he was being held accountable, but without converting him to a disqualified person - a deal few on this list would qualify for.

I am unsure how to feel about this. Part of me is happy that the judge threw this out on the basis of the Heller ruling. Part of me is sceptical that it was only thrown out becuase the guy is a Trooper.

I am doubtful (at least in the current state of mind) that a civilian would have been met with the same result.

Did I read that right? He only forfeited his vacation days as the punishment?
A law enforcement source said Bolduc, who earned a base salary of $95,092 in 2009, was allowed to give up 20 vacation days as punishment for the infraction.
If I did the math right, 20 days lost out of a $95K salary works out to a "fine" of a bit over $900.

If I did the math right, 20 days lost out of a $95K salary works out to a "fine" of a bit over $900.

Ummm... let's check the math.

Fifty two weeks per year divided into $95K is $1826 per week. Times 4 weeks (20 days) is $7304.

My math says $7280.00

If you work 5 days a week (5/7=.715)

365 x .715 = 261 days per year

$95,000 / 261 = $364 per day

20 days x $364 = $7280

ETA: richc beat me to it

And the Police officer in Wilmington who did have his weapons locked, but stored in an old house that was not habitable, lost his job (OK, he 'resigned'). This because some teenagers broke into the house and stole several firearms. They even admitted that they had to forcibly remove the locks and break into the cabinets.
He also was not legally charged with improper storage but is no longer employed as a police officer.

Fifty two weeks per year divided into $95K is $1826 per week. Times 4 weeks (20 days) is $7304.
Pre-tax dollars. Most on this list would prefer than penalty to lifetime disability if there were guilty of the same offense.

My bad. I figured 20 hours instead of 20 days. Some days I need to keep my fly open in case I have to count to 11.

Even so, $7,300 is a pretty hefty price to pay - legal fees notwithstanding.

Bottom line, maybe we can all benefit from aspects of Heller starting to be applied here in the People's Republik. The journey of a thousand miles and all that.

And the judge's decision to dismiss simply distorted Heller into an excuse to do what he wanted to do in any case. Anyone who believes that Heller, even after incorporation through the Chicago case, will impact storage laws such as Massachusetts' hasn't been reading carefully.

Ken

He was charged, but the judge granted the defenses motion to dismiss based on the recent Heller ruling.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090221/NEWS/902210317

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56913

That guy in Billerica is still being prosecuted for having an improperly stored hunting rifle. The Lowell District Court judge dismissed the case, but the Middlesex D.A. appealed it to the MA SJC. I hope his dismissed case gets upheld, based upon the same Heller case. Either way, a private citizen like this guy will almost certainly have his firearms license revoked, while the trooper gets to keep his. Still a two-tiered system, regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:
And the Police officer in Wilmington who did have his weapons locked, but stored in an old house that was not habitable, lost his job (OK, he 'resigned'). This because some teenagers broke into the house and stole several firearms. They even admitted that they had to forcibly remove the locks and break into the cabinets.
He also was not legally charged with improper storage but is no longer employed as a police officer.

Just proves that town cops are more vulnerable to the people's displeasure than troopers.

Back
Top Bottom