Sailor's tricks for your fridge

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
A little late for this given the storm is on us, but you can plan ahead to minimize the impact of a power loss.

Only the very largest cruising sailboats have mechanical refrigeration. All the rest have iceboxes, and the average cruising sailor thinks nothing of planning for a week at a time.

If you fill plastic milk cartons about 80% full and put them in your freezer, they will freeze solid in a day or less. On a sailboat, as they thaw you then have drinking water. But two or three of them in your fridge will help keep it cool for several days. For a large cooler they usually freeze seven jugs. You can fill them higher for land use: the jugs aren't filled so high not only because of the expansion of ice, but also so the jugs will float high enough to be found if you ditch.

Opening and closing allows more heat entry. Most boat iceboxes are vertical with a cover on top, but another technique is to transfer the days food to a "ready cooler" so that the main icebox is only opened once a day.

You get the idea.

Great advice - it's been many years since I've done sailing but there are a lot of good ideas to take from it. You can also use your sea anchors to tie down your lawn furniture. :)

On a related note, Blue Moon now available in cans.

Aside from dealing with power outages, a freezer operates more efficiently if the majority of free air space is occupied, so I usually fill in any unused space in my freezer with refilled water bottles. Easier to work with than gallons, and seem less prone to leaking when thawed.

For a refrigerator, you want somewhat more space so air can circulate. I try to keep the fridge stocked with beer cans, but it's a losing battle, mostly due to the difficulty of getting good beer in a can.

Back
Top Bottom