Saiga rifle conversion

A while back big daddy mentioned a place that does saiga conversions.
i recently picked up a Sagia 5.45x39 that i wanted converted. I called up the place that was recommended but the price of the conversion with parts and labor was over $1,000, which is really pushing the point of being reasonable for a AK. I mean, seriously, who wants to pay over $1,400 -$1,500 for a friggen AK (not including optics).

Does anyone know of a place that does conversions for saigas that wont run up huge costs in labor? the place i had quote me had the labor around $600-750!

Dench, send me yours and I'll convert it before I convert mine free of charge. [wink]

thats the problem i have with having a person whos no a gun smith convert it. if i give it to someone on the board to do it, and they F' it up im shit out of luck basically. its not like im going to go to small claims court over a $360 rifle if the person that converts it doesnt want to pay for damage.

I have no experience with any sort of metal working tools at all. Zero. None. Zilch. i also have no space in my apartment, i have 2 rooms and theres not even a desk to work on, not to mention my absolute 100% lack of skill regarding anything that requires patience and precision.

So, back to my original question, does anyone know any place that does saiga conversions? [rofl]

I recently converted a 7.62 x 39 Saiga. I have no experience doing anything like this and few tools of my own, but I purchased all the necessary parts from Dinzag Arms, and borrowed some of my father's tools.

I made a mistake with mine because I did not have a drill press (tried drilling by hand, BIG mistake) and because I had never used a tap before. I ended up drilling the hole slightly off center, and then broke the tap off in it. This is really about the worst thing you can screw up on the rifle when converting it yourself, but it's such a sturdy rifle it can take this kind of abuse and still work just fine.

I ended up fixing it and continued the conversion, and got a very nice rifle out of it which I then sold to another member here to fund a second one. I haven't started that one yet.

I'm happy to answer any of your questions if you decide to do it on your own. There are some very good step by step guides on the internet to doing this yourself, but Dinzag arms sells everything you need, including the drill bit and tap, as well as all of the compliance parts. Just make sure you have a drill press, or don't bother.

Dench, You could have left the trigger where it was and bought a Tapco handguard from Tapco, a stock from Centerfiresystems and you would have been good to go. Only would have needed a screw driver.
Oh well maybe the rifle went to a good home.

I've got a 7.62x39 version Saiga that I'll be doing. I've never done one before but with so many "I have zero tinkering experience/ability" posts from people who have successfully converted theirs, I figured there is no reason for me not to do one.

Back
Top Bottom