• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Saiga .308 range report

The Goose

NES Member
About a week or so ago I picked up a Saiga .308 at Collector’s Guns in Stoneham, it was a total impulse buy. I was not looking for a rifle, but it caught my eye. I liked the way it felt when I brought it up to my shoulder, it just lined up right naturally.

Over the weekend I brought it to the range twice and put a total of about 400 rds through it. Wolf steel case, some battle pack stuff, Remington commercial and some real old crap that I had stashed away. It functioned flawlessly. I like the iron sights on this rifle. The rear sight has a deeper notch then my SKS’s and AK’s and it is easier to see. At 25 yards I was able to get some 1” and 2 “ groups. At 50 yards it was more like 4”. After 50 yards my old eyes give out on iron sights. I suspect that this rifle is more accurate then I am, but what a joy to shoot. Just plain fun. I just received a side mount scope mount that puts a rail low over the top of the receiver. I have a Burris 2 – 7X short magnum scope that I am going to mount on it. I have some Warne tactical mounts on the way.

It occurs to me that if a fellow could only afford one rifle, especially in a rural setting, this might make a very good choice. It would make a good brush / hunting rifle, certainly the .308 is adequate for most North American game, accuracy is also adequate and it is short and handles well. It could also fit the bill as a SHTF or battle rifle. The magazine capacity is only 8 rds., but the mechanism is certainly sturdy and reliable. I was most impressed with it’s “feel” and construction. I highly recommend the Saiga .308. At under $350 it is a hell of a deal.

Saiga002.jpg

Ya the price is right on that one.. I have wanted .308 for awhile but just have not found the rifle yet... I will be looking more into this thanks for the report.

I've seen those converted to Dragunov type design and they look incredible. I always wanted to buy one of the Saiga centerfire rifles and do the conversion but I'm too lazy to build an AK kit, let alone swap some parts and move the trigger on a Saiga.[sad2]

Though bad juju in Mass I would imagine, I have seen postings of Saiga projects where they have been fully tricked out with AK accessories and 20 round mags. Stock however, they are still a sweet rifle and I must pick one of these up one day. Nice report!

Though bad juju in Mass I would imagine, I have seen postings of Saiga projects where they have been fully tricked out with AK accessories and 20 round mags. Stock however, they are still a sweet rifle and I must pick one of these up one day. Nice report!

the AK conversion can be done...basically moving the trigger goup forward to accomodate a pistol grip because it has no bayo lug or flash hider...just cant get 20 round mags here...which sucks...i have one of these carbines in every caliber available...love em

Wonder what is the legality of someone with a license like Zero Hour has if they bought Saiga .308s and converted them to Dragunov style for sale with 10 round mags.
Now theres a group buy I'd get in on.

but itd suck cuz we could only have the 10 round mags...rather them do it with the 7.62x39s or .223 versions

Back
Top Bottom