Safety Glasses while cleaning guns

wear a full face shield, it goes over your glasses and provides a great
deal of protection.

Your eyes are delicte and can't be replaced.

JimB

Actually that's a good idea, I would have never thought of that. Then again I'm not very bright.

I got a tiny piece of .22 gauge wire in my eye while wearing safety glasses and had to go to the ER to have it removed. The metal got in through the sides behind the glass. Years later, gas splashed upwards and got me in the face while I was filling my snowblower's gas tank. Another trip to ER for an eyewash in a booth. It took about 45 minutes. There was no permanent damage from either incident. I use safety glasses and I have safety goggles as well.
Anytime I'm working with "tools" or liquids, I make sure I have my safety glasses or goggles covering my eyes.
Have you noticed the style changes in safety glasses over the years? I have a couple of old pairs made by Fenwall that were used in the 1970's, 80's and 90's. They sure are funny looking compared to the modern styles. I wonder if they'll ever become "fashionable" again.
Best Regards.

I had a blast of gunsrubber hit me in the face. It hurt so bad, I thought was going to be permanantly blinded. I wear glasses whenever I clean now.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has a horror story for giving us the benefit your experience! Lest I get complacent and start slacking off on the safety protection.

hoppes #9 really hurts eyes to. i get that into my eyes EVERY FRIGGEN TIME I USE IT.
i need to stop rubbing my eyes and touching my face.

You should be thank full that you did not use this product.. Aircraft Remover

I have used it for years, it takes anything off.. down to bare metal.

I am not saying to use it for firearms, but I laughed one day when a buddy was using the product then went to take a piss.. He came back and in seconds was scratching and swearing like a drunk sailor in port.. [rofl] I told him to wear gloves when using the shit!

I have got it on my arms and it frigging hurt like hell!

i never wear safety glasses :) i mean for cleaning, shooting..... only thing that's "safety" that i wear is the ear plug. no problems here unless some smartass decides to frick things up.

i never wear safety glasses :) i mean for cleaning, shooting..... only thing that's "safety" that i wear is the ear plug. no problems here unless some smartass decides to frick things up.

1) semi-automatic guns discharge hot brass cases. If one of those cases hits your eye (typically a case fired by someone on the line next to you), you could lose your vision in that eye.

2) On occasion (albeit rarely), guns come apart. Gas, unburnt powder, and cartridge case shards propelled by 40,000 psi chamber pressures can do a number on your eyes if you are not wearing safety glasses. I know that I wouldn't want my eye in the way of the debris thrown by this:

glock4.jpg

3) Some guns will strip off a curl of brass if they are out of adjustment. Garands and M1As are known for this. It was not that long ago that a member of the USAMU lost vision in one eye as a result of this.

There is a reason that every range I've been to requires eye protection.

You, sir, are a fool. I sincerely hope that you never reap the rewards of your foolishness.

1) semi-automatic guns discharge hot brass cases. If one of those cases hits your eye (typically a case fired by someone on the line next to you), you could lose your vision in that eye.

2) On occasion (albeit rarely), guns come apart. Gas, unburnt powder, and cartridge case shards propelled by 40,000 psi chamber pressures can do a number on your eyes if you are not wearing safety glasses. I know that I wouldn't want my eye in the way of the debris thrown by this:

glock4.jpg

3) Some guns will strip off a curl of brass if they are out of adjustment. Garands and M1As are known for this. It was not that long ago that a member of the USAMU lost vision in one eye as a result of this.

There is a reason that every range I've been to requires eye protection.

That wouldn't happen to be a glock would it?

hey hey, relax... not every one uses safety glasses.... relax big guy.

Don't apply for welfare or SSI if you blind yourself.

After all, you are bearing the consequences of your stupidity, so we should not have to subsidize it or you.

That wouldn't happen to be a glock would it?

Yes, that is a Glock. But I've seen pictures of blown up HKs, FNs, etc. I've seen in person a S&W snubbie with the topstrap severed from an overpressure round. And I've got a bulged Colt 1911 barrel that I bought off a gunsmith for $5 -- I use it as a teaching aid when describing squib loads.

Yes, that is a Glock. But I've seen pictures of blown up HKs, FNs, etc. I've seen in person a S&W snubbie with the topstrap severed from an overpressure round. And I've got a bulged Colt 1911 barrel that I bought off a gunsmith for $5 -- I use it as a teaching aid when describing squib loads.

Oh I know, I know. When you do a google search for "Handgun kabooms" 5 of the first 10 links are about Glocks on page 1 and 5 out of 10 on page 2, but really they don't blow up any more than other guns.

I would get more numbers but I don't have to right? Glocks blow up just as frequently as other guns. [rofl]

hey hey, relax... not every one uses safety glasses.... relax big guy.
Thus proving my point - if you do not use safety glasses, you are a fool.

You also won't be shooting at my range, nor will you be shooting at any range where I'm RSO or instructing.

My advice to you is that if you dislike safety glasses, you give up the idea of shooting a big boy's gun and stick to Nintendo. Unless you LIKE the idea that folks may call you Odin or Ol' One-Eye someday.

you guys take the internet way to serious. quite funny. once again, relax and hold your horses for once and for all.

Like i said originally, if you actually know what you're doing then you're fine with out safety glasses. Thus you have no business being around firearms in the first place if you dont know what you're doing. It takes an idiot to loose an eye, it takes an over catious person to use glasses and worry about things a tad bit too much....

you guys take the internet way too seriously. quite funny. once again, relax and hold your horses for once and for all.

Like i said originally, if you actually know what you're doing then you're fine without safety glasses. Thus you have no business being around firearms in the first place if you don't know what you're doing. It takes an idiot to lose an eye, it takes an over cautious person to use glasses and worry about things a tad bit too much....

Well, I'm glad to see that we agree on one thing. All it will take is ONE ricochet or splashback of lead and you'll see how fast you can lose your eye.

Oh, and I corrected your 8th grade spelling and grammar errors. Try investing in a good dictionary and a copy of Strunk's; people might give a little more credence to your juvenile babblings if you don't sound like you're in eighth grade. And flunking it, to boot.

you guys take the internet way to serious. quite funny. once again, relax and hold your horses for once and for all.

Like i said originally, if you actually know what you're doing then you're fine with out safety glasses. Thus you have no business being around firearms in the first place if you dont know what you're doing. It takes an idiot to loose an eye, it takes an over catious person to use glasses and worry about things a tad bit too much....

We've had a lot of trolls and democrats on this board... but this is one of the least intelligent statements I've seen.

Guns fail, ricochets happen, brass from other shooters, etc.

You wear eye protection on my range or I'll throw you off. Permanently.

Because this thread is already off of the rails, let me ask this: Why do any of you care what "bvet4dog" does? And why is the additional safety offered by wearing safety glasses so important when, just for example, the additional risk offered by shooting guns at a range is just fine (say, as compared to hiding under your bed at home)? This is like saying that it is perfectly reasonable to ride a motorcycle, but just stupid to do so without wearing a helmet. Both acts are risky, both entail costs and benefits, and I can't see how any of us can tell someone else what is best for them. Life is full of risks, and we accept them for any number of reasons, with simple pleasure being one. If this guy really hates safety glasses and can only enjoy his life without them, then why do we care (accepting, of course, Scrivener's point that any injury he incurs should not be our problem; I will add that if it is our problem, then the government is at fault, not "bvet4dog")?

Bottom line, I like to wear safety glasses, but I don't care what others do. I can't imagine why I would care. If you do, can you tell me why? And if you can, can you differentiate this view from any arbitrary desire to control someone else's life when their actions have no direct effect on your life or property?

Because this thread is already off of the rails, let me ask this: Why do any of you care what "bvet4dog" does?

I'm Vice President and chief range safety officer of my gun club. Our club, like almost all clubs, requires the use of eye protection on all ranges. That is for the safety both of the shooter and those around him. I don't want someone who is holding a loaded gun to suddenly get smacked in the eye -- that would endanger both him and everyone around him as he does the funky-chicken dance and is no longer carefully keeping his gun pointed in a safe direction.

In addition, the reality is that if we did not enforce the safety rule and bvet4dog was injured on our range, both the club and the officers would be far more exposed to a civil judgment. Yes, we require members to sign a waiver. Any attorney will tell you that such waivers are a fig leaf at best. So the reality is that if he gets injured it IS our problem. You may wish that wasn't the case, but that, and $3.50, will get you a latte.

Your libertarian beliefs are all well and good. But our legal system doesn't work that way. Welcome to the real world.

I can't imagine why I would care. If you do, can you tell me why? And if you can, can you differentiate this view from any arbitrary desire to control someone else's life when their actions have no direct effect on your life or property?
Nice pop psychology, pal, but completely wrong in this case. I don't give a flying @#$@ what bvet4dog does on his own land. Notice, however, that my post read:

You wear eye protection on my range or I'll throw you off.

He can practice his stupidity elsewhere. But he won't on my range. Nor at any other gun club I've ever belonged to since they had similar rules. But I guess that is because all of us at gun clubs have an "arbitrary desire to control someone else's life." Either that, or we just want to make sure that our gun club is still open next year.

Last edited:
Your libertarian beliefs are all well and good. But our legal system doesn't work that way. Welcome to the real world.

You had a nice, intelligent response going until this last sentence. Those who compromise and bend to social pressure, who take a pragmatic course in fear, and who justify their actions not with ideas but in deference to a "system" imposed by others deserve the world they create.

Back
Top Bottom