• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe question?

I have heard household firesafe safes can cause your guns to rust caused by the type of insulation they use. Gun safes that are fire proof are ok they use a different insulation. Is this true? Will your guns rust?[thinking]

A little bit of moisture absorber product (Damprid) should prevent rust. I never had this problem but I also open the safe and use the equipment often.

you can buy silica gel packs on line for short money and they are re usable.
type in silica gel in your search engine and have at it

Depending on the size of your safe, you may consider a "golden rod" to help with the moisture.

While we're on the topic, I've heard storing your guns in the foam that is commonly used in pistol cases can lead to corrosion. Any truth to that?

Welcome to the forum Grumpy!

Hmm, I doubt that foam part. I stored a Glock in the foam for like 2 yrs, no problems there. There is no reason why foam would manage to corrode a steel pistol. I think that such corrosion probably results from other factors, like someone leaving the pistol in the foam case in a wet environment. Those cases are NOT airtight, so the pistol will corrode. But it isn't the fault of the foam, that is for sure. I just don't see a chemical reaction occurring between the metal of the pistol and the foam, seems highly unlikely.

My safes are insulated. My safes are in a damp basement. I've got a golden rod in each safe and a dehumidifier outside the safes.

No rust.

I put my safe into the boiler room of the house, right next to the boiler. It is BONE dry down there due to the heater, hotter than hell though. Not sure if I should be worried about that. My stuff is warm to the touch when I take it out, but there definitely isn't moisture anywhere. I think if water got into the basement, it would evaporate in like 30 min due to the general heat in the room...

Be careful when storing leather slings in safes with humidity control products, especially milsurp slings that have been around for a while. If you're using humidity controlling products, make sure you use a protectant like Pecard's Leather Dressing on yoru slings because they can dry ouit and become brittle.

I have heard household firesafe safes can cause your guns to rust caused by the type of insulation they use. Gun safes that are fire proof are ok they use a different insulation. Is this true? Will your guns rust?[thinking]

True for some type of safes, particularly the Sentry document safes. Sentry document safes come with instructions to leave the door open from time to time to avoid excessive moisture accumulation.

Some guns will rust just by lookin' at 'em.

There's also cat litter pearls that are 100% silica. Flambeau rust stop capsules and RustBlox tabs.

Back
Top Bottom