S&W Sigma

I was wondering if there was anyone here with any information on the Sigma series from S&W.. Thinking about a new 9mm and as you know there is not a big choice in this state.. Mass... Was also thinking of a Glock but only used are available so am looking for some help here..
Will check local,Jurek's, tomorrow and Four Seasons on Saturday as we will be going by there,north on 128..
Are there any gun shops on Cape Ann at all ?? Was one in Gloucester years ago but he is gone and don't know of any others..

My experience with the Sigma (.40) was atrocious (S&W fixed it and replaced the broken parts . . . .broke after the 1st 20 rds of factory ammo was fed to it)! Chief Ron Glidden also outfitted his PD with them for a short while and then replaced them . . . lots of problems, but I didn't ask him for details. On MAF, there once was a guy who worked at S&W on the Sigma line and he confirmed for us that they were a disaster (QA problems).

Now I know that Lynne owns one (.40) and loves it, so she can offer her experience here and contradict me. [twisted]

Personally I wouldn't choose 9mm any more, but I'd look at the Walther P99 or S&W P99 in .40 or 9mm. More expensive but infinitely a better gun.

I had the SW40VE. In a couple thousand rounds, i never had a problem, not even one failure. I shot fallaing plates with it, as well as carryed it for a while.

I do understand though, that there were lots of complaints about them. I wonder if it was something isolated to the first series of them? That is what i heard. Maybe try holding out for a new, or later-model Sigma. They are denoted by "checkering" on the grip sides, as well as a 4" barrel where the earlier ones had a 4.25" i believe. The new ones also have an integral rail on the dustcover.

Also, FWIW- i have a friend who wanted a cheap handgun. In an effort to steer them away from a real cheap gun, i turned him onto an early Sigma, complete with a 15rnd mag and night sites, all for under 300 bucks (before the end of the ban, when those mags were 75 bucks a pop). He has since picked up 3 more 15-rounders at $15 a pop. He also, has never had a problem with it.

LenS said:
Now I know that Lynne owns one (.40) and loves it, so she can offer her experience here and contradict me. [twisted] quote]

Yep, she sure does, and I love that baby! Best gun I've ever owned. The only problem I ever had with it was I tried a different brand name on the ammo(it was a while ago and I can't remember which one it was) and it didn't like it. It would occaisionally mis feed, but other than that, I've never had one single problem with it. I did hear the they had problems with a few of the .40's, all of the 9's and the .380's when they first came out, but from what I understand those issues have been addressed. I was told if you can shoot a box of 50 through it without any problems, you'd be golden, and that came from the guy who used to be the supervisor of the Sigma line a few years back. Len - do you remember who I mean? He was on the other list for a while...I can't remember his name. BTW - mine is a .40C I could shoot a group a tad bit bigger than the size of a quarter at 21' with it...and that was defensive shooting, not target. Target was better than that.

Course, with all the hand surgeries I've had, I downgraded to a Smith 9mm to carry untl I could get hand strength back. Hubby started carrying it and he loves it. I think I've lost my gun. [lol]

Lynne,

That was the guy I was referring to, but I can't recall his name anymore.

Mine broke parts after 2 10rd mags full of 180gr ammo. Mag release spring and some other parts went, so mag dropped out as you raised the gun off the bench. Blew my confidence in it as a CCW piece! Got it back from S&W, test fired another few mags and sold it.

Replaced it with an H&K USPc .40 and later a Walther P99 and never looked back.

I do not like Glocks, but that is a personal choice.

As for used guns vs. new . . . after I buy them they all become used, so I don't mind paying less for a "tenderly pre-owned gun". If it looks good, comes with lifetime warranty (most do), doesn't look abused or worn out, what the heck. YMMV

Lynne,

Get them all!! [twisted]

If you want to try out 2 out of the 3, I can arrange it for you if you don't mind traveling to Braintree.

Lynne,

If you attend the SAS meeting (which I think is this Saturday at BR&P), we may well be there with the P99. I can bring the AR15 and/or CAR-15 (pre-ban w/AimPoint) if you want to try it out.

Just let me know?

LenS said:
Lynne,

If you attend the SAS meeting (which I think is this Saturday at BR&P), we may well be there with the P99. I can bring the AR15 and/or CAR-15 (pre-ban w/AimPoint) if you want to try it out.

Just let me know?

Thanks for the offer, Len, but I'm afraid I won't be able to make it. I have tried them all, btw, which is why I want them. :)

to those that do own a SW40VE,what brand ammo do you use??
don't want to spend alot to find out what mine likes and dislikes (of course every gun is different though i suppose)

I have used 3 different types in my SW40VE and never had a single failure.
Winchester White Box 180 gr FMJ
Blazer Brass 180 gr FMJ
Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP

If you are interested in the M&P instead of the Sigma, I know that while I was at the SSC, they still included 2 free extra magazines with the purchase.

Also, if you go to the SSC, you can try each.

(Shooting Sports Center at the S&W factory)

I owned and carried a S&W Sigma 40E, not the VE, for about a year. I bought it used from an auction, it had belonged to a PD out in Washington State, so it was pretty banged up when I bought it.

First day out, the extractor broke, so I called S&W. They took it back, replaced nearly everything except the frame (including the slide and barrel) and sent it back to me, a practically brand new gun at no charge. They even included a free hicap LE magazine!

After that I never had one problem, through about 1500 rounds or so. I even managed to qualify with it after my chief had told me that it was a piece of crap and if it had even one feed issue during quals he would fire me. I only got rid of it because I took a liking to anything in a .45 but now I wish I hadn't sold it.

I was told the VE series had even more of the bugs worked out than the E series, so the newer ones should be just great.

cool,at least i have an idea of which ammo to buy.

now i just gotta get rid of about 4-500rnds of 9mm ammo(for which i have no gun for..anyone local want it.it's WWB)

News Shooter,i've made the mistake before of not useing the search and heard about it..now i use it when ever.

hillman,i'm keeping my fingers crossed that all the bugs are worked out of mine..

now i just gotta find a decent OWB holster that's around $20-$30..(have read that some holster(not all) for the glock 23 might fit my 40VE..anyone know aout this personally?)

If you are interested in the M&P instead of the Sigma, I know that while I was at the SSC, they still included 2 free extra magazines with the purchase.

Also, if you go to the SSC, you can try each.

(Shooting Sports Center at the S&W factory)

They do the same with the Sigma.

I have a sw9ve and I love, I bought it used from a NES member. I have at least 1k through it with no problems, and who knows how many the previous owner put through it.
I had a M&P40 and got rid of it because I preferred to carry the sigma. IMO great gun for the money with life time warranty.

Back
Top Bottom