S&W Shorty 40 Magazine Question

I am a new member here but a long time shooter in the NE, so first let me say Hi!!!

I have a Shorty 40 MK-III and I am wondering if anyone has any experience shooting the gun with flat based magazines vs. the mags with the pinky extension that come standard with the gun?

I am comfortable shooting a P-12 and Kimber Ultra-Carry with flat base magazines, so I expect it would be no problem to shoot the Shorty 40 without the pinky extension.

Just thought I would seek out any intel or experiences before I purchased any 9-round mags with a flat base.

Thanks

Andy

Welcome to the Northeast shooters Andy.
Sorry I don't have any experience with the model you have, but I'm confident someone here does.

The Shorty 40 and the 4006 are two totally different firearms. The Shorty 40 is probably closer in size to the 4013TSW. They were produced through the S&W Performance Center and as far as I know have been out of production for a few years. I think the TSW lines tended to replace them for the most part.

Not 100% but I think the 4013 is the same frame/slide size as the Shorty 40, which is also the same size as the 6906. The Shorty series is simply a S&W Performance Center worked version of that pistol with likely a better trigger pull, closer tolerances, and an adjustable sight in lieu of the standard Novak. I shoot and carry both my 6906 and 4013 and find them to be easy to both carry and shoot. Each has the "pinky" extension for better grasp of the grip. FYI the 6906 accepts most 3rd gen S&W double stack 9mm mags so a spare will net you 15 rounds in reserve, or (12+1)+(15X2)=42 rounds of 9mm. Not a bad start.

Not 100% but I think the 4013 is the same frame/slide size as the Shorty 40, which is also the same size as the 6906

The 6906 and the 4013 are totally different. The 4013TSW frame similar to the 4006 with a sightly shorter grip Hence the two round difference. Magazines are available with and without the finger rest. I have no doubt that the 4013TSW magazines fit.

The 6906 and the 4013 are totally different. The 4013TSW frame similar to the 4006 with a sightly shorter grip Hence the two round difference. Magazines are available with and without the finger rest. I have no doubt that the 4013TSW magazines fit.

Sorry but they are almost identical. The 4013 and 6906 are identical in profile. They differ forward of the trigger guard where the 6906 tapers to a thinner cross section while the 4013 maintains full frame thickness all the way to the muzzle. This allows for more slide mass for the .40S&W pistol, and facilitates the addition of the rail in TSW models.

You are correct in that 4013 mags will fit the Shorty 40 without problems.

The 4013 is a single stack 40 S&W. It is usually confused with the 4013TSW which is a totally different frame.

As far as the 6906 and the 4013TSW being identical, it may look that way. However we authorized the 6906 and later the 4013TSW as duty firearms. Those that went over to the 4013TSW from the 6906 found that the newer firearm would not fit in the older holster, which was the Safariland 200.. I was one of them. The 4013TSW frame is closer to the 4513TSW than others in the S&W line.

Why S&W chose to reuse the 4013 designation is unknown.

Back
Top Bottom