• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W has a MA compliant M&P15-22 out.

Yea, but this one is built just for .22. NO need for any type of conversion kit to mismatch.

I've been waiting for this to get released since it came out. I will have to get one here soon. I NEED one!

+1 I agree. I'll grab one when they show up.

I like this. This looks like as much fun as an AR without the price of .223 ammo. Maybe I should use this instead of my 10/22 for Appleseeds.

Edit:

I spoke too soon. The upper and lower are polymer according to the specs. This is more like a toy, not an AR. I think I would rather get a dedicated .22 upper and use a real AR lower instead of a polymer one.

Last edited:
I like this. This looks like as much fun as an AR without the price of .223 ammo. Maybe I should use this instead of my 10/22 for Appleseeds.

Edit:

I spoke too soon. The upper and lower are polymer according to the specs. This is more like a toy, not an AR. I think I would rather get a dedicated .22 upper and use a real AR lower instead of a polymer one.

I was shocked they are only $500 MSRP. This explains it.

It's not a toy, really. It's got the same feel and ergonomics as a normal AR, but is purpose-designed for the .22lr.

Polymer uppers and lowers aren't a problem on full-caliber ARs, why would they be an issue here?

The main draw back in my opinion is that it is not an AR with a convention 22 conversion (Ciener) or dedicated upper. This means that all the goodies made for the AR (you will have to do something about the seven pound trigger) probably won't fit. Also, I'll bet that the beautiful new Black Dog mags won't fit either. Knowing how S&W operates, all of the accessories for this rifle will be proprietary, available only from S&W.

The price is right, however, considering that I spent over $1000 building a dedicated AR for 22 LR. But, with the advent of a 22 LR class at the local tactical rifle matches, I'm not sorry I spent the grand on the 22 LR AR.

One thing I'd be interested in finding out is if the selector operates correctly. On the new Colt .22, the swing from safe to fire is 180 deg, not 90 like on a real AR.

Thats a deal breaker for me since the whole point of spending $500 on a .22 ar is to practice with a clone of the real thing.

Otherwise, you're better off spending your $$ on an accurized 10/22.

For my dollar, the dedicated spikes upper with a 6" bbl is probably the sweet spot. I've already got a suppressor (well, any day now for the paperwork) and a pre-ban, registered SBR lower for it.

Don

The page says that the operating features and accessories are all the same, and the pins appear to be in the right place. I suspect the fire control group is the same or largely similar to a regular AR. What would be interesting would be if they have a bolt hold-open mechanism that works with it now.

The description says it has a fixed stock. It appears to be adjustable. Is that a "mock" adjustable stock or does it come with a different looking stock then shown in the picture?

I have a buddy who works at SW and as of right now there are about 55,000 on back order.

On the plus side he said they fired 30,000 rounds through one and it worked flawlessly. So I'm sold [smile]

Since it's still an S&W, I'd assume its also got a lifetime warranty.

I'm not sure how you could go wrong.

The only downside I can think of is that it's probably not as accurate as a 10/22 custom build, right out of the box.

If you have to replace the stock, trigger group, etc as with a factory 10/22, it would sort of defeat the purpose of the AR simulation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom