S&W Governor? Shame on you S&W

My thinking is that if it makes money for an American gun maker, I'm ok with it. I have zero desire for one, but if a lot of newbies buy one (I am assuming that newbies buy most Taurus Judges, maybe I am wrong), then that's more gun owners and hopefully more voters opposed to more gun laws.

Besides, I don't think that 45 LC would be a terrible defensive round.

I suppose that on a property where there were a lot of rats or snakes, the little 410 rounds would be useful? I dunno.

It shoots .45acp too which sets it appart from the Judge.

The accuracy and velocity with 45ACP will be crap though. It'll have to go through like 2" of freebore, and then the cylinder gap and forcing cone. The Judge, and now the Governor, are for people who don't know anything about ballistics.

I'd never buy one but I would be surprised if it didn't suck far less than Taurus's rendition.

-Mike

The Judge series is Taurus' largest selling product. I'm sure that S&W wants a piece of that market share, and as drgrant states above, buyers may be more inclined to chose a S&W over a Taurus. By the way, Taurus has already countered with a 28-gauge offering.

Why in the world are you saying "Shame on you S&W?" If you don't like the gun, don't buy it.

I don't have any interest in it, any more than I have any interest in the Judge. But someone is buying all those Taurus Judge's, so clearly there is a market for it.

Why in the world are you saying "Shame on you S&W?" If you don't like the gun, don't buy it.

I don't have any interest in it, any more than I have any interest in the Judge. But someone is buying all those Taurus Judge's, so clearly there is a market for it.

Because a once proud company is making a piece of shit to cash in. It will make them money in the short term, but I'm not so sure it's a good thing for the company long-term.

I have to agree with Jar on this one. I'm surprised S&W didn't call it "The Me2, Me2." The least they could have done was give it a Model number and not a name so blatantly similar to "The Judge."

Because a once proud company is making a piece of shit to cash in. It will make them money in the short term, but I'm not so sure it's a good thing for the company long-term.

If it makes them money, whats the downside? It won't be the only worthless/pointless/image tarnishing product they sell.... but if it makes someone happy, so be it.

-Mike

How do you know it is a piece of shit?

I don't see the point in a .410 handgun, but then I don't have any use for a lot of what they make. The fact that I don't have any use for a 12 oz .357 Magnum J-frame doesn't make me love my Model 66 any less. I don't have any use for their .380 Bodyguard either. .327 Magnum handguns? Another answer to a question I've never asked. So?

I have to agree with Jar on this one. I'm surprised S&W didn't call it "The Me2, Me2." The least they could have done was give it a Model number and not a name so blatantly similar to "The Judge."
Sorry, but I just don't understand why this pisses you off so much. The S&W 1911 is very similar to other 1911s (minus a few dubious "enhancements"). The S&W AR15s are very similar to other AR15s. The M&P steals ideas from a number of different guns (striker firing, different sized grips, etc.).

What's the big deal?

Last edited:
How do you know it is a piece of shit?

I don't see the point in a .410 handgun, but then I don't have any use for a lot of what they make. The fact that I don't have any use for a 12 oz .357 Magnum J-frame doesn't make me love my Model 66 any less. I don't have any use for their .380 Bodyguard either. .327 Magnum handguns? Another answer to a question I've never asked. So?

Because it's a 410 out of a short rifled barrel. The shotshell loads are absolutely useless, and there are far better choices for regular cartridges. All of those other things are actually effective at what they say they do. All the marketing touts these 410 revos as gods gift to self defense, but that's a bald faced lie.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why this pisses you off so much. The S&W 1911 is very similar to other 1911s (minus a few dubious "enhancements"). The S&W AR15s are very similar to other AR15s. The M&P steals ideas from a number of different guns (striker firing, different sized grips, etc.).

What's the big deal?

It doesn't piss me off so much as simply disappoint me. The 1911/AR analogy doesn't hold, IMO, because unlike a well-established platform made by a number of manufacturers, "The Judge" (like it or not) is pretty much an exclusive item in the marketplace. S&W not only knocks off the gun, they blatantly knock off the name by calling it "The Governor." This is the genesis for my comment that they should have called it the "Me2," as in, "Me, too!" I was just hoping for a bit more innovation from S&W, or at least a bit more product discrimination, that's all.

I was just hoping for a bit more innovation from S&W, or at least a bit more product discrimination, that's all.

If I had a choice of a wheelgun for S&W to make, I'd say... where's the 6 shot .500/.460.... I realize that would make the guns stupidly huge, but it would be fun..

Then again, there's also the other issue, which I'm sure EddieCoyle would attest to... by the time you launch the 5th round, the 6th round might have unseated it's bullet due to all the recoil, so you'd have to be careful about the loads in play... but I can't imagine most of the boring factory .500 or .460 stuff would do that.

I realize these guns were mostly intended for hunting, but hell, most of the people I know that own them bought them with pretty much zero intent of bagging game with it.

-Mike

I'm a bit torn on this one guys. American gun makers should take advantage of all markets available. The Judge gets a lot of press, it seems every gunzine you open has a glossy lay out of it. If S&W can get a piece of that, why the hell not? If it turns out to be a POS, they'll pay the price in bad press and revenue loss. I personally wouldnt buy a Taurus, I used to drive one, that was enough for me..

For those that dont like the ballistics; a) In close quarters it would positively suck getting hit by a .410. b) For someone living in an apartment and worried about over penetration it might be a good choice.

That being said I won't be buying one. But if this stuff sells you can't fault the gun companies for making them.

I don't understand what the deal is with .410 why is it pointless? I imagine at inside of 15 feet it wouldnt feel good taking a round in the chest. I am sure its more effective than a .22 pistol or a .32 seacamp ... I think in that close of a situation it would be a can't miss round. But I could be wrong.

I don't understand what the deal is with .410 why is it pointless? I imagine at inside of 15 feet it wouldnt feel good taking a round in the chest. I am sure its more effective than a .22 pistol or a .32 seacamp ... I think in that close of a situation it would be a can't miss round. But I could be wrong.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm - Testing the Judge vs water jugs
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm - Testing .22lr and .32 vs water jugs

.410 buckshot - 3 pellets through 1 gallon of water, and into a second
.22lr - 1 round, split into pieces in the second jug
.32 - 1 round, penetrated 4 jugs.

So no. .410 is NOT more effective than .32, and is only more effective than .22lr if you count it by numbers of pellets.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm - Testing the Judge vs water jugs
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm - Testing .22lr and .32 vs water jugs

.410 buckshot - 3 pellets through 1 gallon of water, and into a second
.22lr - 1 round, split into pieces in the second jug
.32 - 1 round, penetrated 4 jugs.

So no. .410 is NOT more effective than .32, and is only more effective than .22lr if you count it by numbers of pellets.

Ok that makes sense what about the defensive .410 they make with the slugs and the pellets I wonder if that is as bad. Just small birdshot obv wouldnt be as effective but I am curious as to what advantage if any the 3 slugs give to the .410

Back
Top Bottom