• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 500 serial numbers

NH Phantom

NES Member
Looking at buying a used sw 500 tomorrow i do not have the serial number right now but would like to check out age when i go look at it.
Any one have manufacture date to serial number lookup info for that gun?

Looking at buying a used sw 500 tomorrow i do not have the serial number right now but would like to check out age when i go look at it.
Why do you want to know the age?

If the gun looks good, buy it.

Last edited:
Already looked at the gun. Looks absolutely new condition. Wanted to do a little research on accessories that comes with it. Just curious on date of manufacture.
Why? The age of a gun tells you nothing. Knowing what to look for does. It could be a year old and had hundreds of over pressure hand loads through it. Do you at least know what to look for? Is it a tight lockup? Is the forcing cone in good condition?

You will probably need to go to a S&W forum.

Nothing wrong with wanting to know the birthdate of a gun. Sometimes it matters. For example, Monson Era DW revolvers are typically considered best of the vintage DW's. The very first gen 1 Delta Elites had some issues but that was soon corrected. JM Marlins, anyone? Many more examples.

You will probably need to go to a S&W forum.

Nothing wrong with wanting to know the birthdate of a gun. Sometimes it matters. For example, Monson Era DW revolvers are typically considered best of the vintage DW's. The very first gen 1 Delta Elites had some issues but that was soon corrected. JM Marlins, anyone? Many more examples.
Not with a SW 500.

I did a quick search while I was at the barber. Couldn't find a tool or list but found links to several forums asking the same question and someone almost always had an answer, but didn't post how they got the answers.

Gun forum people s*ck. [laugh]

Why? The age of a gun tells you nothing. Knowing what to look for does. It could be a year old and had hundreds of over pressure hand loads through it. Do you at least know what to look for? Is it a tight lockup? Is the forcing cone in good condition?
Yea looked at that. Seems in awesome shape. Its a consignment at a dealer and says it’s new but has to sell as used. But you know how that goes. But it does look new. I’m going to “pull the trigger” today so to speak

Yea looked at that. Seems in awesome shape. Its a consignment at a dealer and says it’s new but has to sell as used. But you know how that goes. But it does look new. I’m going to “pull the trigger” today so to speak
Most people buy these guns, shoot them 5 times and never touch them again. This is very typical of people that don't reload. Ammo gets expensive and there aren't a lot of choices.

It is amazing how many people buy guns without thinking how much it will cost to shoot them.

Not with a SW 500.

I did a quick search while I was at the barber. Couldn't find a tool or list but found links to several forums asking the same question and someone almost always had an answer, but didn't post how they got the answers.

Gun forum people s*ck. [laugh]
Not all of them suck. Some of them blow. [rofl]

Most people buy these guns, shoot them 5 times and never touch them again. This is very typical of people that don't reload. Ammo gets expensive and there aren't a lot of choices.

It is amazing how many people buy guns without thinking how much it will cost to shoot them.
So .45-70 gets the NES Skinflinting Seal of Approval?

So .45-70 gets the NES Skinflinting Seal of Approval?
Not sure what that means.

But this thread is related to 500 SW. What I said applies to all big bore.

But talking about 45-70, there are fewer people that own those and very hard to find used. I think it is because you have to look for the guns and do your research therefore they attract more informed buyers. (Just my opinion).

The SW 500 can easily be found anywhere and there is a lot of marketing behind them.

This......until the economy goes bad then everyone is buying a .22 LR.

Like short barrelled 45-70....most of these big ass guns have low round counts.

Now I want to SBR an 1895

Bruh
Those make sh*t SBR. The capacity goes from like 6 to maybe 3. Lol.

I might have looked into this.

If you can get a lever action that is mag fed, like the Long Ranger, that would be awesome. An SBR Long Ranger in 45-70, 460, 475, 500 ... any of those calibers would be awesome.

Adding ... you could SBR a trapdoor, Sharps or any other single shot.

Ruger number 1 SBR ...🤤

That would be pretty awesome.

Those make sh*t SBR. The capacity goes from like 6 to maybe 3. Lol.

I might have looked into this.

If you can get a lever action thsr is mag fed, like the Long Ranger, that would be awesome. An SBR Long Ranger in 45-70, 460, 475, 500 ... any of those calibers would be awesome.
I mean, I hear you.
But if it’s a range toy and has a side gate, capacity doesn't really matter. And if I'm actually using it hunting, 3 is probably enough for most of my uses.

Of course, a mag fed 45-70 SBR would be pretty sweet. But then, isn't that what 450 Bushmaster is for?

I mean, I hear you.
But if it’s a range toy and has a side gate, capacity doesn't really matter. And if I'm actually using it hunting, 3 is probably enough for most of my uses.

Of course, a mag fed 45-70 SBR would be pretty sweet. But then, isn't that what 450 Bushmaster is for?
The 45-70 has the BC of a brick. Hunting with a 45-70 SBR is probably a terrible idea unless all your shots will be inside of 50 yards.

I am tlaking about single shot and lever actions. The 450 is only in single shots and semi. Indont think there are any lever actions for that round.

Not sure what that means.

But this thread is related to 500 SW. What I said applies to all big bore.

But talking about 45-70, there are fewer people that own those and very hard to find used. I think it is because you have to look for the guns and do your research therefore they attract more informed buyers. (Just my opinion).

The SW 500 can easily be found anywhere and there is a lot of marketing behind them.
Just kidding about .45-70 handguns and cost of ammo vs. cost of 500 S&W ammo. Messing around aside, either one can be reloaded for relatively short money w/ cast projectiles but those who buy into the hype and aren't shooting their 500's probably are not the reloading type.

Mrs. Mountain brought home a pretty large empty case as a souvenir from her Women On Target class. I said cool, you were shooting a lever action? Her to me: "No you pussy, that was a revolver!" It was a .460 Mag case and she absolutely loved shooting it.

You can probably call SW and ask. I've done it with rifles to verify preban status when I had to worry about such nonsense

Perfect caliber to embark into handloading (if not already ?). Pretty sure the last time I researched the cost of 460XVR ammo it was around $48 for 20 rounds (and that's if you can even find ammo). The 460 and 500's are also great candidates for bullet casting .

I shot a 4" 500 SW yesterday with "wrist breaker" ammo.

Not bad at all.

Definitely not a bear defense gun [laugh] ... but I could have shot 50 rounds no problem.

Back
Top Bottom