Rugers version of the AR15

I think this rifle will be a winner for Ruger. It would have been better for them if it had come out last year, as the buying craze seems to be slowing, but I still hope they sell a metric shit ton of them.

Ruger is dead, get over it. As a company we won't see his brand of treachery again.

The barrel is a hammer forged chrome lined one. It should last a hell of a long time. It has great potential to be very accurate as well (the FN bolt guns use the same thing, as does the M-240). that alone puts it ahead of most of the competition. Additionally, the Troy rail and sights are included in the purchase price.

Regarding the 1x9 twist, I'm willing to bet that there are more people firing lighter bullets through their AR's than the heavy bullets, which are mostly shot by match shooters. This, obviously, isn't a match rifle. 1x9 is the best compromise for what most folks are shooting- 55 grain or 62 grain.

I think it's a pretty good deal.

Regarding the 1x9 twist, I'm willing to bet that there are more people firing lighter bullets through their AR's than the heavy bullets, which are mostly shot by match shooters. This, obviously, isn't a match rifle. 1x9 is the best compromise for what most folks are shooting- 55 grain or 62 grain.

Heavy bullets are not just for match shooters anymore- they're also superior in terminal ballistics as well. Research has shown that things like MK262
Mod0/1, Tap 75 gr, etc, are far better at stopping bad guys than lighter bullets. I just don't see the point in something which is marketed as a "fighting rifle" being sold with a 1/9 twist barrel. Further, 1/7 and 1/8 twist barrels will still run the lowest common denominator 55/62 grain stuff well enough to get by. At least ruger should offer a 1/7 as a no-extra-cost option. Remember, this gun is going to compete against established favorites like the Colt 6920, which comes with 1/7 "by default".

Ruger should take a hint from things like:

Colt 6920 = 1/7, standard
FN FS2000 = 1/7, standard
SIG 556 = 1/7 on some models or optional (forget which offhand)
Robarms XCR = 1/7 offered as a choice
MSAR STG = 1/8 on 16" (possibly others)

I don't have specs for it yet, but $10 says the FN SCAR and the Bushmaster/Magpul Masada will have 1/7 standard, or at least as a
config choice.

See a pattern here? [grin]

-Mike

Last edited:
I was at an all hands meeting at Ruger today and they said that they are going to come out with a AWB version of the SR-556 soon. Also a target model and have a few more diffrent calibers for the SR-556. They didn't say what they would be or when they would be out but it is something that they are working on. Just thought you all would like to know.

I was at an all hands meeting at Ruger today and they said that they are going to come out with a AWB version of the SR-556 soon. Also a target model and have a few more diffrent calibers for the SR-556. They didn't say what they would be or when they would be out but it is something that they are working on. Just thought you all would like to know.

Nice. Tks.

Are you able to offer an objective opinion on the SR556?

I have not gotten a chance to play with the gun yet. I do see them packing them up everyday to ship out. Me personaly I like the gun. If I was to build one it would be almost like there version.

Thanks for the heads up, keep us posted

I know a friend who has one and he loves it ( I haven't fired it as he lives on the other side of NH west of me). Then again, he got it for just under a grand and it is his first and only AR15 so...

Ooh, a winter camo model in .17 Fireball would be good medicine for predators.

Back
Top Bottom