Ruger SR9c for My Wife

iofneedle

NES Member
I have read a lot of reviews for the SR9c. They are mainly positive. However, some say it is very hard to rack the slide and is tough on the hand. After a few hundred rounds with the spring loosen up? SR9 owners/users please let me know. Thanks!

I didn't notice it loosening up, but I would have to try a new one now to see if there is any difference. My GF doesn't have any problems racking it, but I know a girl that couldn't do it. Great gun!

The first time my wife tried mine, it had about 600 rounds through it and she had a hard time. Even today, with 1500 or so through it, I notice the difference between it and my other 9mm pistols. That being said, the reward for the tough racking is a pretty soft shooting small pistol that's easy to conceal, with a trigger that's pretty damn good right out if the box. Where are you located? If you're close, and can get up to nh, I'd be happy to let you guys try it out.

Eta: I see you're in Hopkinton, so it's a little bit far, but the offer stands if you're ever in SE New Hampshire.

Just asked the gf, she didn't have issues with the SR9 her dad had, but he had used it a bit before he let her try it. Though everyone has different hands, has she tried the gun her self? Or what has she tried and liked or had issues with?

Just asked the gf, she didn't have issues with the SR9 her dad had, but he had used it a bit before he let her try it. Though everyone has different hands, has she tried the gun her self? Or what has she tried and liked or had issues with?

Going to rent one tomorrow at range...but of course the gun has been well used. Going to local shop this week so she can handle a few guns. Want to be able to tell her it might get easier as she uses it. I'll post what she thinks.

I probably have somewhere around 800 rounds through mine and it's the same as the day I got it. However my wife and sister had no problems racking it.

My wife bought 1 a few months ago and has no problems racking it. I honestly think its more a technique thing than hand strength. She is 5'3 100lbs. We are members at MRA and you and your wife are welcome to meet up with us and try it out.

let me know,
john

My wife bought 1 a few months ago and has no problems racking it. I honestly think its more a technique thing than hand strength. She is 5'3 100lbs. We are members at MRA and you and your wife are welcome to meet up with us and try it out.

let me know,
john

This.

Its definitely technique to a large degree. My 5'1" wife, who is admittedly a swimmer, so she has some upper body strength has no trouble racking any handgun I own, as long as the slide is large enough for her to grab. She prefers the overhand grip to the slingshot.

She holds the gun at chin level and punches the gun out while holding the slide largely stationary. It works for her and its fast. She's using all big muscle groups and is in a position of good leverage.

Don
p.s. I have an SR9c and we are talking about using it for her carry gun. She thinks the G19 is a bit large, the G26 a bit small. The SR9C may be just right.

Slide rack tension is definitely an issue and concern.

^^this
i like the sr9c...my wife actually inherited mine!
i have to say one problem is the right side of slide serrations are mostly blocked by the extractor, so on the right side of gun not much to grab onto. The FMK has the same issue. Gotta say though the sr9c is an amazing deal.

have you looked at the sig sp2022? I love mine and amazing value.

i still think the ultimate setup for a female or shooter having trouble racking slide is a glock with the brass stacker slide pull to assist.

I have one I use in Pistol classes and bought another one for my daughter. Everyone loves the gun. Racking can be more difficult than other guns. This is how I instruct those that may have some difficulty.

Hold the slide with the weak hand and the grip with the strong hand. Now push forward with the strong hand. This way you are moving the gun with the stronger hand while using the weak hand to hold the slide.

Hold the slide with the weak hand and the grip with the strong hand. Now push forward with the strong hand. This way you are moving the gun with the stronger hand while using the weak hand to hold the slide.
+1
My wife can rack mine using this technique. Rather than pull the slide, push the gun. You wouldn't think it would make a difference but it does...big.

Wife can rack hers, took a little practice. She got it figured out while doing mag change drills, also cracked a couple nails in the process. Funny, was on her middle finger, and she kept showing me the cracked nail...

If you must - You can also go to a lighter spring tension from Galloway Precision, but will increase the felt recoil slightly.

I have one and if you are a member at hopkinton or MFS i would be willing to let you try it out, or you could come down to where i live about 30 min south. My wife likes it but is hard for her to rack.

EDIT: my wife carries the sig P238 and it has to be the easiest racking gun I have ever touched. I truly recommend this gun or the P938 to anyone, they are nice small pieces.

Last edited:
One thing to remember about semi-auto guns in general.

There are 2 things that control slide speed.
1) the mass of the slide
2) the recoil spring.

For a given load, the heavier the slide is, the softer the recoil spring can be.

I've owned a fair number of 9mm handguns.

The one with the heaviest spring has the lightest slide, the Kahr PM9.

As the guns get bigger the recoil spring gets softer until we reach the G17 or 34.

When you step up to a 9mm 1911, the slide is very heavy, and the recoil spring is ridiculously light.

Don

This.

Its definitely technique to a large degree. My 5'1" wife, who is admittedly a swimmer, so she has some upper body strength has no trouble racking any handgun I own, as long as the slide is large enough for her to grab. She prefers the overhand grip to the slingshot.

She holds the gun at chin level and punches the gun out while holding the slide largely stationary. It works for her and its fast. She's using all big muscle groups and is in a position of good leverage.

Don
p.s. I have an SR9c and we are talking about using it for her carry gun. She thinks the G19 is a bit large, the G26 a bit small. The SR9C may be just right.

This right here.

With my delicate keyboard hands, I can't reliably slingshot mine either. I learned the overhand technique and use it for every handgun. It's efficient, reliable and capitalizes one improved leverage/muscle groups.

The SR9c is a fantastic gun. I absolutely love mine.

I bought my wife the same SR9c after reading hundreds of reviews, etc... She couldn't rack it and in the end wouldn't use it (it also didn't help that she's a lefty). She agreed that it was perfect on paper, but not for her in the real world.

So I did more research and we ended up getting her an H&K p30 which she can operate easily without issue. Easy rack, easy mag release and ambidextrous. Other than the price, it was perfect for her.

Now I have a sweet SR9c which is what i generally carry when out and about [smile]

All of that could have been resolved with a bit of instruction. Of course she would have had to have an open mind. And if she didn't like the grip or how it shot, non of that matters.

My 5'1" wife can pretty much rack anything. Its all about technique.

Running a G34 at Walls of Steel:

[video=youtube_share;pOrYjBq5V4Y]http://youtu.be/pOrYjBq5V4Y?list=UUfcbHi5eOtRK1iIcC-FNwxQ[/video]

Back
Top Bottom