Ruger: Safety recall on SR9 pistols!

Sturm, Ruger & Company Recalls Malfunctioning SR9 Pistols, Issues Safety Warning - Update [RGR]

4/9/2008 6:10:43 PM Wednesday, after the bell, Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (RGR), a manufacturer of firearms, announced that Ruger SR9 pistols, manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008, can fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the off or fire position and a round in the chamber. This is under certain conditions. The company said the pistols would not fire if the manual safety is in the on or safe position.

The Southport, Connecticut-based company said that it wanted to make its customers conscious of this safety concern at the earliest. In the meantime, the company is designing a new trigger assembly, which would prevent firing when the pistol is dropped. Ruger said it would retrofit all its SR9 pistols with a new trigger assembly having serial number prefix 330, free of cost.

When the company is ready to retrofit its malfunctioning pistols, it will send a shipping box, label and instructions for the free return of the SR9 pistol to its factory in Prescott, Arizona. The company would carryout the work of retrofitting free of cost and return the pistols to the consumers at the company's expenses. All owners will receive a free SR9 magazine for their patience and cooperation.

Meanwhile, the company has cautioned all owners of SR9 pistols not to use their pistol until it has been retrofitted with new factory parts. If the owners want to use their SR9 pistol, the manual safety should be kept in the on or safe position except when actually using.

Article

Additional information:

"As a responsible manufacturer, we want to make our customers aware of this safety concern as soon as possible," the company said in a statement.

The company will retrofit all Ruger SR9 pistols with serial number prefix "330". SR9 owners can obtain information or register for the recall by contacting the company.

Stay safe.

Thanks Ruger, give MA and the rest of the anti-gun a**h***s fuel for their stupid legislation. I wonder if they sent it for testing and thats how it was found.

I can't believe a company like Ruger (or any other gun mfg.) is not doing their own in house testing capable of finding things like this before they ship.

Thanks Ruger, give MA and the rest of the anti-gun a**h***s fuel for their stupid legislation. I wonder if they sent it for testing and thats how it was found.

I can't believe a company like Ruger (or any other gun mfg.) is not doing their own in house testing capable of finding things like this before they ship.

They probably do test the guns. This might be an issue of a part change or something, or it's possible it only does it under certain conditions.

I'm not surprised that the SR9 is having teething problems. I've heard some fairly nasty rumors about those guns, but nothing I can put an authoritative finger on.

FWIW, I wouldn't go so far as to blame a manufacturer screwup for stupid compliance laws we have here in MA. There will always be some industry a**h***s like Jiminez arms making junk for the antis to whine about. Even if junkers didn't exist they would just invent stuff to whine about. (Look at what the AG did, for example.... the AG's regs were pulled out of thin air with no real basis. They can "invent" rules to suit their anti-gun agendas. IMO they will just invent new BS to "comply" with in an effort to reduce the
amount of available guns. It's just another form of gun control by any other name.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom