Ruger photo contest

Kevin l

NES Life Member
NES Member
Ruger invites you to take your best shot – photo that is – and send it to us! We’re looking for great photos of Ruger owners and their firearms to use in upcoming advertising and marketing materials. If your photo is approved and published on www.rugerphoto.com, it will be eligible for use in future Ruger publications! If we publish your photo on rugerphoto.com, you’ll receive a $10 gift certificate for Ruger merchandise and apparel as a “thank you.”

What’s more, if your photo makes the cut and we use it in our ads or marketing materials, we’ll give you a gift certificate for $500 to be used toward a Ruger firearm* or Ruger merchandise and apparel! You will receive one gift certificate for each photo that we use and there is no limit on the number of certificates you can earn, so submit as many photos as you like!

I've seen some pretty impressive photography work on this forum, would be even better to see the work of some NES members in Ruger's next catalog!

Read the terms carefully, and don't post your pics in the public domain, they can't be used!

Good luck.

So rather than pay market price for photography, they're going to give you 'the chance at a $500 gift certificate'? Sounds like somebody wants to snooker people into basically giving them free advertising photos.

So rather than pay market price for photography, they're going to give you 'the chance at a $500 gift certificate'? Sounds like somebody wants to snooker people into basically giving them free advertising photos.

My thoughts exactly … reading the terms and conditions, basically every submission becomes eternally theirs to use however they please.

Not a snooker, It's a win win. I think one of us could come up with a pic as good as a marketing firm. And Ruger would rather give the money to us and have a real pic of an American with HIS gun and not a model with a borrowed gun playing dress up in the woods.

If we found out S&W paid $2000 for a pic of some dude with a revolver. I think we would all say that putting it out to the real customers is a good idea. I like the contest Ruger is putting on.

Not a snooker, It's a win win. I think one of us could come up with a pic as good as a marketing firm. And Ruger would rather give the money to us and have a real pic of an American with HIS gun and not a model with a borrowed gun playing dress up in the woods.

If we found out S&W paid $2000 for a pic of some dude with a revolver. I think we would all say that putting it out to the real customers is a good idea. I like the contest Ruger is putting on.

It's only win-win if you actually win. Otherwise, it's a waste of your time. You're also giving up any copyright on the photo.

It's only win-win if you actually win. Otherwise, it's a waste of your time. You're also giving up any copyright on the photo.

It's like any other photo contest in the world, only with a cooler prize. I for one would be honored if my photo was used by Ruger. If you got a cool pic send it in. If you think it's a big scam then don't.

I just submitted a photo of my SBHH.

SBHH_01a.jpg

Would it count if I took a picture of myself in front of a big banner with a big Ruger label on it that says.
NO LAW ABIDING CITIZENS NEEDS MORE THAN A 10 ROUND MAGAZINE, BILL RUGER.

What do you think?a winner ? Ready to go into the next American Rifleman?

Thats why he made 15 rounders?? Did he really say that?

Would it count if I took a picture of myself in front of a big banner with a big Ruger label on it that says.
NO LAW ABIDING CITIZENS NEEDS MORE THAN A 10 ROUND MAGAZINE, BILL RUGER.

What do you think?a winner ? Ready to go into the next American Rifleman?

Not a snooker, It's a win win.

If you think your photography is good enough to be used in a commercial advertisement, I'd advise you'd to spend your time going after multi-thousand dollar contracts, plus expenses, plus additional use fees, rather than a small chance at a $500 gift certificate for signing over the copyright. And if you don't think your photography is good enough, don't waste time entering.

It reminds me of the CNN I-reporter stuff. "Hey folks, send us your good news footage for nothing! What a great idea!"

Mike-Mike said:
I for one would be honored if my photo was used by Ruger.

Then certainly don't listen to a curmudgeon like me [smile].

Last edited:
There are pics I have of my dad with an old Ithaca pump hunting ducks. If Ithaca had a contest I would send one. This is where the confusion lies. If I had a pic I would send it in. I didn't say I was going to setup a photo studio and try to win this contest. They are offering this. If you don't want to participate you don't have to. I did go to school for photography but choose to use it for pleasure and not as a job. Also, I think that WE could actually come up with BETTER photo's of us and our guns etc. Because we know the demographic better because we are the demographic. Like anything else, We have all seen adds for guns or tools, and as soon as we look at them we can tell the people in the pic never used them and doesn't know how they work because of the way they are holding them etc. Might have correct lighting,hyper focal distance, exposure length and framing but it still sucks.[wink]

If you think your photography is good enough to be used in a commercial advertisement, I'd advise you'd to spend your time going after multi-thousand dollar contracts, plus expenses, plus additional use fees, rather than a small chance at a $500 gift certificate for signing over the copyright. And if you don't think your photography is good enough, don't waste time entering.

It reminds me of the CNN I-reporter stuff. "Hey folks, send us your good news footage for nothing! What a great idea!"

Fair enough. Obviously if you enjoy the idea, who am I to get in the way? My point was only not to under-sell your property just because somebody makes a call for commercial photos by calling it a 'contest'.

Thats why he made 15 rounders?? Did he really say that?

Quotations from Chairman Bill Ruger:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."

"I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."

"I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."
And, sadly, that too must be part of the Ruger legacy.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

Fair enough. Obviously if you enjoy the idea, who am I to get in the way? My point was only not to under-sell your property just because somebody makes a call for commercial photos by calling it a 'contest'.

I agree with you if you where going to sell the pics to someone else. I got a few of my pics in a newspaper and they gave me $50 I was pretty happy with that.

Me I would rather see my gun on the cover of a magazine and get $500 for a new gun.

Hey, I'm still looking for my fifteen minutes of fame and time is fleeting! [smile]

I actually think I'm a good enough photographer to do it for a living. In fact, I've made enough money at it as a side job to pay for most of my camera equipment.

That said, going after those contracts requires a level of self marketing and business administration that I really don't want to do.

So, in retrospect, maybe I do agree with Mike Mike. If it's fun to take the pics and you wouldn't have sold them anyway, go for it.

I could care less if someone from Ruger comes knocking at my door, shakes my hand, and then leaves.

The $10 will buy next to nothing from the Ruger web site, everyone knows that. Its more or less bragging rights to say... yep, thats my picture.

I risk the same thing every month when/if I enter the Parallax forums photo contest and we all risk it when we post our pictures here where anyone can get them and use them w/out our consent.
::cough:: tacticool Mosin pics ::cough:: [rolleyes]

I could care less if someone from Ruger comes knocking at my door, shakes my hand, and then leaves.

The $10 will buy next to nothing from the Ruger web site, everyone knows that. Its more or less bragging rights to say... yep, thats my picture.

I risk the same thing every month when/if I enter the Parallax forums photo contest and we all risk it when we post our pictures here where anyone can get them and use them w/out our consent.
::cough:: tacticool Mosin pics ::cough:: [rolleyes]

I take pictures for my enjoyment and for the enjoyment of others. I doubt my pictures
will pay my bills. If I thought they would I might be more diligent about protecting them
but, C'est la vie.

Just what is the Market Price going for?

Lets get a Group Photo with maybe 100 of us holding a Minni 14/30 and a Ruger Mk something. I have heard that they make other guns also.

Maybe we can get some big sponser like NES or the OBAMA campaign to throw us some big bucks for T shirts/Hats/Turbans etc...

Make one hell of a photo.

Have to do it in New Hampster as I hear some people are not allowed to bring toys to Mass.

Back
Top Bottom