Ruger Mk II Stubby

OK, finally got a chance (albeit brief) to put it on paper for some kind of group.

Just under 10 yards, American Eagle Suppressor .45gr Solids. This stuff:

4404.jpg

So, as you can see from the pic above, the front sight (which I'm liking more and more) is too freakin' high for the rear, so I'm aiming at a "point" way above on the target. Offhand. Enough excuses.

String one, 10 rounds.

IMG-1531.jpg

Not bad for what I was working with, sight-wise. Second string, 10 rounds Fed Bulk Pak 36 gr CPHP. This stuff:

:)[laugh]
1-20180131_142903.jpg

Not surprisingly, it stays subsonic. :) I had much less of a "spot" to aim at on this one, and I ended up stringing the group as I searched for a hold-over.

IMG_1532.JPG

So far, pretty damn happy. Now I need to get a real rear sight, or a red dot, and see what I can do for real accuracy. But it looks like I'm not throwing them willy-nilly all over the target.

Just remember the difference between accuracy and precision.

Accuracy means hitting point of aim. Precision means hitting the same place every time.

You could use those horribly mismatched sights to test the gun's precision, by using them to aim at the same place every time. The point of impact would be nowhere the point of aim, but the group would determine the gun's potential precision.

Then you just have to change the sights to make POA and POI align.

I think it will bring forth all the accuracy a 2" barreled .22LR has to offer...I'm probably not going to use it for Bullseye league.

But once I get a sighting system on it, I'll report back. I'll be interested to see how well the bullets are stabilized. I won't be shooting any of the heavy 60gr stuff, that's for sure.

I mean. How much accuracy do you need at arms length, amIright? [smile]

Just remember the difference between accuracy and precision.

Accuracy means hitting point of aim. Precision means hitting the same place every time.

You could use those horribly mismatched sights to test the gun's precision, by using them to aim at the same place every time. The point of impact would be nowhere the point of aim, but the group would determine the gun's potential precision.

Then you just have to change the sights to make POA and POI align.

You make a good point, and I was trying to see what precision I could get. I wanted to make sure the rounds were stabilizing and not flying all over the place. The problem was the gun shoots to low (which I expected with that rear sight) I didn't have a good repeatable reference point high enough to keep the round on the target I was using. I was almost holding "in space." New rear should get here this week, and I can learn more.

Next step in the on-going project: factory adjustable rear sight.

IMG_1550.JPG

And a fiber-optic front sight, just to be fancy.

IMG_1551.JPG

Gotta tell you, this part was a stone bitch. I had to hacksaw out the factory fixed rear, then spend a good 20 minutes solid of Kriol/steel wool to clean up the dovetail. Rusty looking stuff in there. Then the factory sight as no fun to pound in. Went in with light tapping to the 1/2 way point, then got obstinate. Because the reciever is round, I couldn't use either of my sight pushers, and it wants to "roll" in the vice when you're banging on the sight. I was paranoid about squeezing the receiver too tightly in the vise, afraid I was going to "egg" the receiver. That would have been a quick end to this project. But, with perseverance, a brass punch, and a BFH, I was able to get it in.

Can't wait to get it out to shoot it and see how POI/POA come out, hopefully tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom