• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark IV recall

fyi - did you guys see this? recall on Ruger Mark IV's:
http://ruger-hosted.s3.amazonaws.com/email/MarkIV-Recall-Bf28Cz9s46H8.pdf

"HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOUR PISTOL NEEDS THE RETROFIT
All Mark IV™ pistols produced prior to June 1, 2017 are potentially affected and therefore are being recalled.
This includes Mark IV™ Target, Hunter, Competition, 22/45™, 22/45™ Lite and 22/45™ Tactical models. These models bear serial numbers beginning with “401” (2017 models) or “WBR” (2016 models).
Mark I, Mark II™ and Mark III™ Pistols are NOT affected.

Newly manufactured Mark IV™ pistols will begin with serial number “500.” Thus, if you have a Mark IV™ or 22/45™ pistol with a serial number beginning with the number “5,” your pistol is not subject to the recall.

Mark IV™ and 22/45™ pistols retrofitted with the updated safety mechanism are easily identified by the letter “S” in the white safety dot that is visible when the safety is engaged"

The original thread
Ruger MKIV Recall

Mark IV Recall

Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time. View Safety Bulletin PDF

Yeah I think there were a few threads when it came out. I had mine done. Very quick and painless.
Maybe painless for you but I use mine for NRA competition and have the Volquartsen kit installed (2-1/2 lb trigger and no magazine disconnect) . So if I send it to Ruger they will take all that out and return it with original parts to make it MA compliant. I have used Ruger Mark series for many years in competition and have yet to use the safety. My only alternative is to take it to my gunsmith, remove the Volquartsen kit, reinstall the Ruger parts and when it comes back reinstall the kit. Very expensive.

Fun stuff, this is also the reason Volquartsen's trigger kit was a nightmare- they sent me a kit for the original "unsafe" sear and were generally incompetent in determining what the problem was.

Maybe painless for you but I use mine for NRA competition and have the Volquartsen kit installed (2-1/2 lb trigger and no magazine disconnect) . So if I send it to Ruger they will take all that out and return it with original parts to make it MA compliant. I have used Ruger Mark series for many years in competition and have yet to use the safety. My only alternative is to take it to my gunsmith, remove the Volquartsen kit, reinstall the Ruger parts and when it comes back reinstall the kit. Very expensive.

You'll need to have Voltquartsen retool the sear as well. Sounds like a PITA. What does Ruger's recall actually change? I think the trigger kit changes 95% of what's in the frame of the gun, maybe only the safety itself is original.

If you modified it then maybe ignore the recall. That’s even more painless.

fyi - did you guys see this? recall on Ruger Mark IV's:
http://ruger-hosted.s3.amazonaws.com/email/MarkIV-Recall-Bf28Cz9s46H8.pdf

"HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOUR PISTOL NEEDS THE RETROFIT
All Mark IV™ pistols produced prior to June 1, 2017 are potentially affected and therefore are being recalled.
This includes Mark IV™ Target, Hunter, Competition, 22/45™, 22/45™ Lite and 22/45™ Tactical models. These models bear serial numbers beginning with “401” (2017 models) or “WBR” (2016 models).
Mark I, Mark II™ and Mark III™ Pistols are NOT affected.

Newly manufactured Mark IV™ pistols will begin with serial number “500.” Thus, if you have a Mark IV™ or 22/45™ pistol with a serial number beginning with the number “5,” your pistol is not subject to the recall.

Mark IV™ and 22/45™ pistols retrofitted with the updated safety mechanism are easily identified by the letter “S” in the white safety dot that is visible when the safety is engaged"
Yeah we saw it.....like a friggin year ago......read the recall and the date on your own copy paste.....JUNE 2017!

They screwed the pooch with the Mark IV's. May I suggest you dump that POS and switch to a gently used Mark III ? Use the advanced search feature here and use my screen name to pull up the for sale post and then....

;-)

Back
Top Bottom