Ruger Mark III 22LR Ammo....

JohnnyC

NES Member
What is your experience with 22LR ammo for the Ruger MarkIII Target??? I first tried Winchester Dynapoint and they were terrible, many jams - both feeds and extractions. Next came Federal, and although better, it still had too many jams. Next came Blazer, it was the best so far.... Last and most recent is CCI, and it by far the best (also the most expensive). Are my experiences similar to your ??? Thanks.

i've had good luck with federal 550 bulk, no issues. -got one stuck in the tube with blazer 500 brick

I've run Federal blue box through my 3 Ruger MkIIIs without any significant issues... occasionally some F-T-Feeds, but that's all.

I've had less success with the wax-coated lead round nose (CCI Blazer?), as I got more F-T-Feeds with that.

I've had lousy experiences with Remington Thunderbolt (don't even try it!) and with Remington Golden Bullet (better, but failure-to-fire issues were still frequent).

For the extraction issues, get a Volquartson extractor. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Ruger Mark III and have tried different types of 22LR ammo with varying results. First Winchester Dynapoint, by far and away the worst. Most misfeeds, extractions, and overall jams. Next Federal, better but still not good. By this time I was having doubts about this pistol and thought I made a bad choice. Recently tried Blazer with much better results, and today tried CCI (standard velocity) with the best results... 200 flawless shots today. Needless to say I am feeling better about the purchase , but please let me know your 22LR ammo experiences with this weapon. Thanks... John

My Mark I needed about 500 rounds through it before it was broken in and stopped having missfeeds and fail to eject. My Mark II was used and already broken in. Sounds like you are just getting it broken in. Both of mine now do Federal just fine.

You are correct.. Believe I just passed the 500 to 600 round mark at the beginning of today, added another 250 today as it was finally a real pleasure to shoot.... CCI was outstanding but also at twice the price.

I sure hope so.... Loaded up with Federal on sale at Four Seasons. $18 for 550 box... naturally I bought a ton !!!

I can't recall all the brands I've fed through mine, but I had pretty good results with CCI Blazer and Wolf.

Try a couple packs of CCI Mini Mags (or similar in 1200-1300fps) to break it in. Some .22s can be finicky with ammo an you just gotta keep trying until you find one it likes. Try some of the hotter rounds first though, and if it's not that try some hyper velocity 1500fps rounds to rule out any break-in.

give it 1000 rnds and it will eat just about anything. I purchased a Mark III Hunter in April and have been breaking it in with MiniMags and it is almost flawless with those. My Mark II that I have had for almost 30 years feeds on anytthing.

Thanks. Did you purchase the Target? Compettion? 6/7/8 barrel?

It seems like it is getting better every 200 rounds or so.....

I got the Hunter with the long fluted stainless barrel & Fiber front site and adjustable rear. I also put the Volquartson trigger in it. Talk about a sweet shooter.

Winchester and Remington ammo are horrible.

you should have no problem with Federal, CCI, Aguila, RWS, Eley, Wolf, etc.

Like stated earlier give it about 500 rounds, then I installed a Volquartsen extractor and mine chews up anything 99% of the time now.

Federal 550 bulk pack or CCI mini-mags for plinking
Aguila SV or CCI SV for bullsye

Is this a new gun? If so did you pull the bolt and give it a good cleaning?

I've had lousy experiences with Remington Golden Bullet (better, but failure-to-fire issues were still frequent).

For the extraction issues, get a Volquartson extractor. You won't regret it.

I second both of these statements. I've had a lot of failure-to-fire issues with Remington Golden Bullet ammo. No problems with CCI.
I just installed the Volquartsen extractor and still need to test it out but I wasn't having much trouble in terms of failures-to-extract beforehand.

Velocitors are great, but they are expensive. I wish they came in 500 packs instead of just the 50 packs.

Velocitors are great, but they are expensive. I wish they came in 500 packs instead of just the 50 packs.

I believe those are hypervelocity rounds, which Ruger doesn't recommend. Your gun, your choice.

I just scored a few of the Federal 550s when I was down in Pennsylvania last week...rockin!

I have the MKIII hunter.......I have a large assortment of types. Thus far the centerion offered @ CMP has preformed the best both feed and eject, accuracy too. Although I have not even come close to shooting well enough for ammo to really improve my accuracy. Shooting with out the frustration of jams and stovepipes has done wonders! I ordered this back when you couldnt find any 22ammo. It went up in price since then . I wasted a ton of time and money looking around for ammo last year. It also works very well in my TacSol 22ar

PS there is a lot of info on magazine mods on rimfirecentral.com. Did this for my mkii.

Item ID: 419ASVGE
Description: .22LR Target Golden Eagle CENTURION
Manuf - Aguila-5000 rnds per case. 40 gr., lead projectile,
1200 fps. at muzzle-standard velocity. Brass cases of max
resistance, manuf for perfect feeding in any type of .22
rimfire weapon. Technically designed bullets which provide
max accuracy and due to their lubrication do not foul the
barrel. Clean combustion gunpowder & high velocities at low
pressures. ELEY prime process providing reliable ignition.
$305.00 per cs. $19.95 S&H per cs-cont US-$39.95 S&H per cs
to Alaska or Hawaii-CITIZENSHIP & CLUB MEMBERSHIP REQ

Last edited:
my friend uses the federal for his mark 3. he had problems with other brands, but it was new.

i baught one used and it might be it just takes a while to break in, ive never had one problem.. ive shot almost everything out of it. some have been more accurate than others but as for function even when it was a gummy mess in the action it still keeps ticking.

How much is too much?

I just got into shooting and purchased a beretta 92fs. The Federal 9mm ammo is alot cheaper than some of the other stuff out there but its still killing me cost-wise. So I've been looking into getting a .22 and the Ruger Mark III seems to be the best option since most people say it will eat anything, and lets face it here in Mass there aren't alot of options. I have read a quite a few people online saying that you might need to break it in (500 rounds or so). So that got me thinking, is there such a thing as too much ammo for a single outing? And is this anymore or less true during a "break in" period?

I hope to pick up a Mark III pretty soon (saving my pennies) and I figure if there is any break in to do I'd wanna just take care of it that first day. But obviously I dont want to put too much stress on the gun. I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I put 250 rounds through my MKIII the first day out.....ONLY after as real good cleaning. NEW GUNS are DIRTY. Had a few feed issues with one mag and that was it. I generally shoot my 22pistols till they stop feeding well, when I take them out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom