Ruger broke-How to ship??

My brand new Ruger Vaquero froze up after only 100 rounds. That's one issue. I called Ruger and they tell me I have to ship it back to them through an FFL. Is that true? That'll cost me another $100. I'm not a happy camper today.

Can someone enlighten me???

Thanks much [oops]

Look in both of these places:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/25thedition/index.htm

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2000_ref.htm

Last I knew, you could send TO an FFL/Manufacturer legally, as long as it's not a violation of state law. You can also receive your firearm BACK without going through an FFL, since you already own it. Both situations assume that state law doesn't prohibit it.

I'll bet that Ruger is being chicken, and playing it safe. That's not out of character for them, or any other manufacturer these days. I'd suggest taking it ti the FFL you bought it from. If he won't ship it for you, ask him WHY. If he doesn't give a decent reason, find a new FFL to do business with, that will stand behind his merchandise.

I have to say, I've had to send a pistol back to Para Ordnance for a repair. As have another guy I work with.

We just went to a UPS store, handed them the already boxed up and packed pistol. Clamed 1000 bucks in insurance and labled it as machined parts. They sent it, and Para sent it back to our house without any issues.

I would think that Ruger would do the same thing.

Did you have any action work done? I don't kown if they will say something if you did. If so, I know a guy that's a wiz with single actions.

That is BS. Fed Law (the only one that is important in this case) allows Interstate shipment BY THE OWNER of any gun to any FFL, mfr, gunsmith for work/repair. USPO prohibits anyone (Fed Reg or law) other than Dealer from shipping any handgun. Thus, you need to deal with UPS or FedEx . . . both of whom have internal policy that requires air shipment for handguns since they can't control their parcels from being stolen by employees (but this is NOT law, only company policy).

You MUST ship by either going to a UPS/FedEx depot (no storefronts like Kinkos or UPS Store), have UPS/FedEx pickup at your house/business, or it APPEARS legal (and OK by their policies) to setup a pre-paid account online, create your own shipping label (properly declaring contents) and handing the package to the local UPS/FedEx driver. I have done "some" research on the last idea, but never got or asked for a "ruling" by either company that this was acceptable or not (it would be a company policy thing).

I have shipped handguns to the mfr for repair before with no hassles. I have also brought the defective gun back to the dealer I've bought it from and had them deal with shipping it back (at no expense to me).

Addendum: It is AGAINST FED LAW to not declare the contents as a firearm when shipping. I know that a lot of folks don't declare the contents to avoid hassles, but:

- If anything happens to the package (even inspection) and they find out, you could be prosecuted and become a Fed Felon!

- You will NOT collect a dime in insurance money if you don't declare it properly. So why bother paying for insurance if you are going to do that.

That was my uptake on it as well. I knew Fed law allows it, but some states don't. Then I read this part of the original post:

"I called Ruger and they tell me I have to ship it back to them through an FFL."

Sounds like Ruger doesn't want him to ship it direct. That wouldn't be that far from some of the stuff I've heard about Ruger's policies. AND, if it is their policy, shame on them.

I find this all hard to believe. Ask anyone, wheel guns NEVER malfunction of fail to fire.

(PS - I had one do that very same thing during my very first qual with LE)

Nickle said:
That was my uptake on it as well. I knew Fed law allows it, but some states don't. Then I read this part of the original post:

"I called Ruger and they tell me I have to ship it back to them through an FFL."

Sounds like Ruger doesn't want him to ship it direct. That wouldn't be that far from some of the stuff I've heard about Ruger's policies. AND, if it is their policy, shame on them.

And Ruger can stuff their policy! If UPS or FedEx delivers a package, they'd have no idea if the sender was a FFL or not. On repairs, FFLs do NOT forward the copy of their FFL to the receiver. What is Ruger going to do, open it and return it broken? That would be breach of warranty and actionable in court. They will still fix it . . . they wouldn't want a lawsuit (Ch. 93A could be your friend . . . up to 3x damages {cost of the gun plus taxes} plus legal fees for consumer fraud . . . failure to live up to their contract of warranty) in a MA court.

I had a S&W SW9VE that the extractor died in about 6 months. They repaired totally free of charge under warranty. They mailed me a FED-EX shipping label next day and told me to put the gun in its original plastic case that it came with and to then place it in a unmarked box. Then I was instructed to drop it of at a Fed-Ex location such as Kinko's. Every thiing went smooth.

Len, I'd pay good money to watch Ruger squirm on that one if it went to court. Can't say that I'd have any sympathy for them.

Just so you know, Ruger has had some fairly bad policies pertaining to employees. Seems that old Bill had a strong dislike for motorcycles. So he had his insurance carrier refuse to pay for health care to any employee that was injured on a bike. It may have only been when they weren't wearing a helmet (perfectly legal to ride without a helmet in NH). I've heard that they extended it to any motorcycle related injuries later.

And this can probably still be researched on AMA's website. (That's American Motorcycle Association, not American Medical Association.)

So yeah, send it. If Ruger refuses to repair it, sue the crap out of them.

The FFL we go through ships it for us and all we pay for is the Shipping cost. I would go back to the dealer (if that's who you bought it from) and tell them there's a problem and ask them to ship it. I won't retype what Len's alreay said about the fed laws. :D

Sturm Ruger is just trying to play it safe. They have been sued up the ass, and are sick of it, so they are trying to avoid it by making these rules. I can understand that.

By the way, how the hell does it cost $100 to ship a handgun through an FFL? That one has me really confused.

Going_Commando said:
By the way, how the hell does it cost $100 to ship a handgun through an FFL? That one has me really confused.

Me thinks the FFL is making a "few" extra bucks. Shipping should run around $30 +/-, depending on who's used (UPS charges more) and the weight of the gun.

I'm not going to pretend to know the BATFE Rules for Dealers, but I'll throw out one possibility in defining the costs. [REMEMBER, I do NOT know if this is true or not.]

- $30-35 for shipping by air. Maybe more due to "fuel surcharge" increases.

- IF an FFL must book the gun into their books to take in their shop, they will charge a transfer fee . . . some dealers are charging as much as $45 because of the MA BS. **

- IF Ruger ships back to the dealer, is the dealer required to do NICS before giving you the gun back? **

** I don't know if these items are fact or not, but if so I can see an FFL charging high fees (shouldn't be $100 though) to do this for you.

I still say that the OWNER has to be a fool to put up with this BS. Just ship the gun to Ruger by UPS or FedEx overnight and be done with it. This violates NO MA or FED Laws/Rules and that is all you have to do.

Otherwise, call Ruger and demand a "call tag" or prepaid label to ship it to them at their expense. Don't mention FFLs to them.

S&W sent me a pre-paid label for FedEx overnight when my 1911 had to go back to them.

Len, I do know the laws as they pertain to FFL's, since I used to be one, and my father still is.

You pretty much nailed it, but the dealer doesn't have to go through the transfer process, unless Ruger ships back a different gun. He's suppossed to run it through his books the same as a gunsmith does. No checks are required before returning it to the customer. This can be verified through the BATFE's Federal reg's.

Most gunsmiths would charge an hour or a half hours labor, plus the shipping charges. If the FFL is the one that the individual purchased the gun from, the dealer (or gunsmith) should waive the labor charge.

Your advice as to what to do is definitely the best course for the individual.

Back
Top Bottom