• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Air Magnum

George D

NES Member
I was at my buddy's house for dinner and we were out on the back deck getting ready to grille some food while our wives were hanging out in the house. I couldn't help but notice the makeshift range he had set up out in the woods of various soda and beer cans at different elevations and distances. As soon as I mentioned it, he went and got his Crossman BB pump gun and we spent probably a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes just terrorizing the cans. I decided that would be fun to do in my back yard as well so I looked at BB guns. I decided I really wanted a pellet gun so I start browsing and ended up with a Ruger Air Magnum, since 1,400 FPS sounds about right for plinking cans. [laugh]
I open the box, read the instructions (yes really), and decide to try it out. Its about 6:30 PM, neighborhood is fairly quiet. I prop open my porch door and cock the gun, which requires considerable effort. I load a pellet, sight in on a target I had set about 50 yards away. I am still inside my porch at this point and slowly squeezed the trigger.
The sound that came out of this thing was about a 1/2 decibel less than my 10/22 and the crack echoes throughout the area.
My wife yells from the other end of the house, "what the hell was that!"
I was laughing so hard I couldn't even answer. I am now thinking that maybe this is not the ideal rig for backyard plinking. [smile]
This is what happens when you don't do any research. Everything I read about it says that its fargin loud! So, anyone want to buy a nice air rifle? [grin]
http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com/blog/2010/12/ruger-air-magnum-combo-part-1/

Yes. If they go supersonic then you're going to hear a crack. I bet it sounded like a quiet .22 round.

I have a Sheridan S397. It makes cloverleafs at 30 yards.

Was it accurate? I have a pretty powerful one myself, in fact it is time to intoduce it to the boys. Thanks for the great idea :)

I have a gamo whisper which I've had modified with a nitro cylinder to replace the spring.... Very quiet at 1100 fps and the .22 pellet is very accurate..... Makes a great varmint gun...[smile]

I have an old old old Crossman .22 cal pump, it's incredibly accurate, I can shoot dimes with it from across the basement all night long. Pumps are nice b/c you can shoot at lower power to keep it quiet.

I bought a Gamo Big Cat a few years back. It shoots lead @ 1,000fps gold plated @ 1,200fps. My Savage Mako shooting .22shorts is much much quieter than the pellet gun. .22shorts out of bolt action rifles are extremely quiet and they pack enough punch.

Have an old (30yrs) crossman pump master that I use to shoot ping pong balls at 30yrds (BB's or pellets). Still accurate, powerful enough, and fairly quiet. Good for laughs.

I got a Diana that I've had for about 17 years. The thing is unholy accurate.
I haven't shot it in ages but I do remember one of the last times I shot it, I shot a .22 right after and it was night and day so I'm thinking it was pretty dern quiet.
Its a hoss too, damn thing must weigh 9 pounds or more.

I don't know what model it is but it goes thru sheet metal like paper at 50 yards. It's got the long rod on the side to cock it. Maybe all Diana's do, I dunno but it's pretty sweet.

Last edited:
I bought a red rider lever bb gun for my son a few years ago. Fun to plink with in the yard, but not very accurate. I have a little war going on between that red rider and a wood pecker that keeps chewing on my house.

I too have a gamo whisper. I average 25 rats a month with it. Not one complaint from the neighbors. I do plan to replace it with a nitrogen piston as the break action spring weakens over time.

Awesome gun...... The nitro conversion also allows you to leave it cocked for an extended period of time besides making it quieter and smoother.... Also added a "Charlie da Tuna" GTR-4G trigger conversion.... Much improved over stock.....[smile]

Last edited:
What's the legality situation shooting an air gun in your yard? Any issues? Would deffffffinitely like to plink once i move to my new place.

Hahahahahaaaa.... I'm laughing like an idiot reading this. Effin hilarious!

I open the box, read the instructions (yes really), and decide to try it out. Its about 6:30 PM, neighborhood is fairly quiet. I prop open my porch door and cock the gun, which requires considerable effort. I load a pellet, sight in on a target I had set about 50 yards away. I am still inside my porch at this point and slowly squeezed the trigger.
The sound that came out of this thing was about a 1/2 decibel less than my 10/22 and the crack echoes throughout the area.
My wife yells from the other end of the house, "what the hell was that!"

I bought a red rider lever bb gun for my son a few years ago. Fun to plink with in the yard, but not very accurate. I have a little war going on between that red rider and a wood pecker that keeps chewing on my house.

Though occasionally they do stupid stuff like peck on an aluminum gutter, typically they indicate a problem like carpenter ants, paper wasps or termites. I'd try to see what he is trying to get at.

I recently got a Benjamin Marauder in .22 cal bolt action complete with shrouded barrel...at 1100 fps it makes almost no noise! At first I thought it was defective....I am able to put holes in dimes at 50 yards, nail chipmunks and squirrels at over 100yds. Came with a 10 round magazine for faster shooting, but it does require a hand pump to fill the compressed air chamber. I get about 40 shots at 1100fps on a full charge... It's like have a 22 long rifle with a silencer. Pricey but worth it if stealth is a major concern.

Try HEAVIER pellets, that will help make it sound "less" loud.

There is a trick to shooting spring air rifles. This is what I do - shoot with an OPEN front hand w/ NO tension of if you have to wrap hands around the stop have them almost touching, but NOT touching the stop.

After you pull the trigger - WAIT for an extra couple of seconds BEFORE you move.

There two things WILL make you be able to hit things you are aiming at.

The listed speed is usually bogus - chances are it is a lot slower than listed. ;) The shop you got it from MAY allow you to return it (Bass Pro ??? is the only place I have seen those rifles, LOL). If you want to be able to shoot "quietly" - try a bolt action .22 w/ CB longs. :)

It sure is quiet!

[video]http://youtu.be/k35gPQ-_uT4[/video]

I recently got a Benjamin Marauder in .22 cal bolt action complete with shrouded barrel...at 1100 fps it makes almost no noise! At first I thought it was defective....I am able to put holes in dimes at 50 yards, nail chipmunks and squirrels at over 100yds. Came with a 10 round magazine for faster shooting, but it does require a hand pump to fill the compressed air chamber. I get about 40 shots at 1100fps on a full charge... It's like have a 22 long rifle with a silencer. Pricey but worth it if stealth is a major concern.

I’ve read the law and shooting a BB gun on your property is perfectly legal in Massachusetts. However, this is Massachusetts. This incident resulted in the homeowner being handcuffed, his wife being forced out of the house, his home searched, and etc.
Of course it’s illegal for the police to detain or search someone when they’ve done nothing that’s illegal but we all know how the POSs roll. What constitution? Cuz gun!

Back
Top Bottom