• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rossi Ranch Hand feeding/loading malfunction - Help!

So I just got a Rossi RH in .357 today. I have yet to fire it, but am already having issues with it cycling, feeding, loading.

I took some photos to hopefull explain it as best I could. I'm hoping it is something I can fix without sending it to the distributor. I purchased at Cabela's so I can't bring it back there.

Here is what happens:

I load multiple rounds in the magazine tube. I cycle the first round usually OK, but most times the spring cover (loading gate) pops up and slightly out of the gun.

Photo 1: This is after the rounds have been loaded into the tube, before chambering the first round

2571035e.jpg

Photo 2&3: I've cycled the first round into the chamber fine, but the cover has poped up and out of the receiver which has allowed the second round to go slightly behind the gate which doesn't allow me to push it back in or load another round. You can see the rim of the second round in photo 2.

0faf5c83.jpg

4ded8d97.jpg

Photo 4: Now looking in through the ejection port the round behind the loading gate is visable as is the 3rd round that is coming from the magazine tube.

9131ab9f.jpg

Photo 5: This is what it looks like normally when the round is being fed correctly.

d561792b.jpg

Any ideas what this could be or what I should look at. I've checked the screws and they are all tight. This issue pops up with any amount of rounds greater than one. Happens 90% of the time at least. It doesn't matter how slow or quick I cycle the action. Also tried it with lead nosed .38s and same thing.

I am pretty sure if the gate didn't pop out it wouldn't allow the round to get behind it which wouldn't allow the rounds to double feed, but i'll consider any other ideas as i'm new to lever action firearms.

I'm new to this and am a bit bummed that my new gun isn't even cycling correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I will have mine by mid week and will have to check to be sure I don't have the same issues. I would think that .38 or .357 wouldn't make a difference as my rossi lever action 357 rifle feeds and shoots both with no issues. Sorry to hear you are having issues and hopefully you can get it resolved.

Negative. It didn't do the double feed, but chambering the .357 was anything but smooth. The case would hang up part way in where I would have to let go of the lever and stop pushing the round in, then continue pushing it in. So that isn't right either. Also, the loading gate pushed out too.

You said its new and unfired, did you take it apart and clean and lubricant it?

Also if you can work through firing 100 rounds or so it may loosen up a bit.

I really want one of these, but after the issues I had I'm going to wait a bit before I buy another. I brought it back to Cabelas and they actually let me return it. So I took the refund and kept my money for now.

I'll pick one up again eventually and hopefully next time my luck is better.

The only problem with the Henry is that its a Henry, and not an 1892. While I dont doubt the quality, fit and finish are far superior, the Braztech one is at least a copy of the right gun.

If you want a really nice short lever gun, and can swing twice the amount as the Rossi, I agree with Madball, go for the Henry. If you want a "Mare's Leg" the Rossi is a closer copy, albeit of lesser quality.

I cant speak for today's Rossi/Braztech guns, but I learned to shoot on a .357 Rossi 1892 made in the 80's and that thing was pretty solid.

Back
Top Bottom