Roofing question

After multiple rain-outs, the boys were back this AM to strip the final roof.

ORIGINAL 1994 roof (not the 1999-2000 addition). NO FREAKING TAR PAPER!!!!!!!!!

No wonder I had water damage from ice dams 3 years ago. There was NOTHING to prevent it. :(

Roof will be done today. Whew! Another worry off my head. House is getting well buttoned up. Jolly good!

Tar paper alone would help, but would probably not prevent ice dam leakage. I'm not sure when Ice and Water came out, I've been building stuff since the late 80's, and pretty sure it was around, as I used it, but it was not as sticky and flexible back then if I remember right, it was granulated surface on the roll. Think it was made by GAF. The newer stuff is better, made by WR Grace sticks like crazy and nailholes seal better. Pretty much use that on anything now. There are maybe better stuff out there, but I'm pretty happy with the Grace stuff.
Just don't mess up putting it down...because it will peel plywood pieces off if you try and pull it up.

Last edited:
Tar paper alone would help, but would probably not prevent ice dam leakage. I'm not sure when Ice and Water came out, I've been building stuff since the late 80's, and pretty sure it was around, as I used it, but it was not as sticky and flexible back then if I remember right, it was granulated surface on the roll. The newer stuff is better, sticks like crazy and nailholes seal better.

Hated the granulated stuff. Slippery af and barely stuck to anything.

Somehow my reply from yesterday never took.

Stripped the main roof, front yesterday AM. NO TAR PAPER! None. 2 roofing jobs (original and addition) and not a lick of it.

Now I've got ice-water half-way up the front roof. (That stupid farmer's porch causes more water problems. And the dumb-ass Guttah-Helmet gutter covers. Gahhh!!)

They'll be done today. They had some repair work yesterday and a s-ton of ice&water to put up.

This guy has the mind of a steel trap and the integrity of an Apostle. Gosh. He remembers crap that I changed to the quote back in May! In a conversation. If he were a better business manager, he'd probably have a couple of crews and a billion dollars. (Or a'billyun'dollurz as he'd say.) But he seems damned happy every day and moves like the dickens. I wish I had another roof for him to do. Just nice to have workers that give a poop about your property.

Somehow my reply from yesterday never took.

Stripped the main roof, front yesterday AM. NO TAR PAPER! None. 2 roofing jobs (original and addition) and not a lick of it.

Now I've got ice-water half-way up the front roof. (That stupid farmer's porch causes more water problems. And the dumb-ass Guttah-Helmet gutter covers. Gahhh!!)

They'll be done today. They had some repair work yesterday and a s-ton of ice&water to put up.

This guy has the mind of a steel trap and the integrity of an Apostle. Gosh. He remembers crap that I changed to the quote back in May! In a conversation. If he were a better business manager, he'd probably have a couple of crews and a billion dollars. (Or a'billyun'dollurz as he'd say.) But he seems damned happy every day and moves like the dickens. I wish I had another roof for him to do. Just nice to have workers that give a poop about your property.

Hired a mason who.was.that way. Made me wish I had more work for him. That's how you know he's a.good guy.

30 # felt over Ice & Water Shield is foolish.
No experienced roofer would do that.

You're lucky you didn't fall and break your neck.

If you're not a roof guy - stay off.
Especially, steep,high roofs.

I am a roofer.

Back
Top Bottom