Rod & Gun Club question

I am new to hunting and am looking into local Rod & Gun clubs north of Boston. Are some better than others? What are some things I should consider before joining?

Well, what are you looking for? I'm definitely taking my time finding a "home" but that's because I want some specific stuff. Have you decided what you want from a place?

Rifle range beyond x yrds
Archery Range
Skeet/ Trap
Indoor pistol
Indoor Rifle
etc.

Get those things figure out, then shop based on location, and such.

I guess I would echo davemata advice. I would find a club that has a strong group of people that are involved in whatever you are interested in. If you are interested in skeet/trap, then make sure the club has that. If it is pistol, see if they belong to a league or have organized shoots.
If the club that might be most convenient to you doesn't have what you are interested in, then I would try to get a sense of how enthusiastic the club president would be about expanding the club to allow you to start an new group in whatever you are interested in

If you're new to the sport, try to find a more "general" club - if you don't have a strong interest a plase that "has some of everything" might serve you best. I've had pistol shooters turn into Trap lovers, to their surprise....

Try everythign: Not all will be a "fit" ( I shoot Trap, I'm terrible at Skeet, for instance), but you never know until you try.

I'm looking into the clubs that have the most options at this point. I'm taking my Hunters Ed. course at one here around Lowell, so we'll see if that's a place I might want to join.

If you're new to the sport, try to find a more "general" club - if you don't have a strong interest a plase that "has some of everything" might serve you best. I've had pistol shooters turn into Trap lovers, to their surprise....

Try everythign: Not all will be a "fit" ( I shoot Trap, I'm terrible at Skeet, for instance), but you never know until you try.

Thanks for the advice. What club do you belong to?

I'm looking into the clubs that have the most options at this point. I'm taking my Hunters Ed. course at one here around Lowell, so we'll see if that's a place I might want to join.

Haverhills got a great club, just a few minutes off 495. Outdoor rifle and pistol ranges, skeet range, indoor pistol, boat launch into Chadwick pond and a great bunch of guys n gals.

HHRG

You might want to look at Andover Sportsmen's Club. They have nice setup for most varieties of shooting. I don't shoot arrows but their archery range also has a trail through the woods to practice 3-D. The indoor range has motorized target carriers and you can set the target where you like from 25' to 50', which is a nice feature.
http://www.andoversportsmensclub.org/

Not to hijack this but does anyone know any clubs in MA that has strong interests in skeet. I belong to Westford and they have everything I need except skeet. I recently got hooked on it and am looking for a good club for it.

Last edited:
To the OP - I belong to Southborough Rod & Gun CLub www.srgclub.com

To TPD5 - you say that you have everything that you need except trap, but a strong interst in skeet. They're different games.

Look in the back of the Outdoor Message (Not a GOAL member? JOIN!) and you'll see a lot of clubs that have both - most that have one have the other, but that's not carved in stone. Some that have both have more of one than the other.... If you provide your location, you'll get more info.

Did not mean to write trap. I know they are very different games. Westford has trap but no skeet. Looking for another club to join with that hasa good skeet participation/focus. Live in Westford. I have looked at the clubs that offer skeet but just wanted opinions on the good vs the bad/mediocre.

Thanks

Haverhills got a great club, just a few minutes off 495. Outdoor rifle and pistol ranges, skeet range, indoor pistol, boat launch into Chadwick pond and a great bunch of guys n gals.

HHRG

+1 I can show the OP the grounds if you would like to see
Weekends are best for me

You might want to look at Andover Sportsmen's Club. They have nice setup for most varieties of shooting. I don't shoot arrows but their archery range also has a trail through the woods to practice 3-D. The indoor range has motorized target carriers and you can set the target where you like from 25' to 50', which is a nice feature.
http://www.andoversportsmensclub.org/

That sounds like a cool place and it's not too far from where I live. Thanks for the recommendation.

that's a much better question. Although, I'd say the MIT club... only it's really not worth it to join, I was told to look somewhere else because non-MIT students only get 3 hours of range time per week.

Not to hijack this but does anyone know any clubs in MA that has strong interests in skeet. I belong to Westford and they have everything I need except skeet. I recently got hooked on it and am looking for a good club for it.

TPD5 - North Leominster http://www.northleominsterrodandgunclub.com/
It's mostly trap oriented but there'e a nice crowd shooting skeet

Thanks chris I was actually looking into North Leominster. Heard it is very shotgun oriented.

Minuteman in Billerica. They have 10 skeet fields.

Yea i have shot at minuteman. It is a great place but it is a little expensive for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom