• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rock Island Armory VR80

Nice... such a kewl gun... I have to make some time to play with mine again. Had some fun shooting trap with it, have to break it out again ...

PSA selling the VR60 for $299 right now. I think it has some polymer where the 80 has aluminum. Idk seems like a cool gun for the money.

PSA selling the VR60 for $299 right now. I think it has some polymer where the 80 has aluminum. Idk seems like a cool gun for the money.

There's a good reason for it... IMHO the VRBP100 and VR60 are pieces of dogmeat compared to the VR80. Way more recoil.

Palmetto Shitlicker is also selling the VR80 right now for $599. There is no way in hell I would buy a 60. At least if you buy an 80 and don't like it, you will sell it in
10 seconds and get most of your money back. The same cannot be said for the other two. That's why shitlickers is selling em for $299, because they're shit. [laugh]

I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. VR80A (FDE). Took it all apart and inspected everything. Found burrs everywhere. Little 320 crocus cloth and fine machine oil and an hour later smooth as a babies but.
I also have 6 10rd Panzer Arms mags the 2 five rounders it came with and the Promag 20rd drum. Might I suggest that you take all the mags apart that you can and check that the follower moves easily up and down inside the body. Of all the YouTube videos I watch is seems that the majority of the issues were FTF. Of my 6 10rd mags 5 would stick somewhere along the way.
Remove the baseplate watch out for the lower spring seat it will launch if not careful. Pull the spring seat and spring out. Turn the mag body vertical, the follower should slide to the bottom. If it doesn't, with a blunt rod push it down. Notice where it hangs up, continue to push push it out.
Now inspect the follower. Looking at the sides you will most likely find "tracks" where it was sliding on the forward indentations from the stamping process. Using fine sand paper 320, lay it flat and give it a few strokes on either side. Inspect the follower again you should see all the high spots from the injection molding process. Now focus your attention to the bottom square corners of the follower. They will have mold flash on them. Sand or scrape it off. Now recheck the fit of the follower. If it slides in and out easily apply a light coating if silicone spray inside the body, sides of the follower and the spring. Reassemble you're done.
If not, it's time to get mechanical with some brute force.
I used a piece of plywood 14" long by .800" thick, no more than 1" wide. I would have preferred a hard wood or UHMW as it doesn't compress but I had neither at the time.
These mags are stamped, folded and welded. Not very precision. You have to slightly spread the body apart between the stamped runners inside. With your tool mounted in a vise push the body on by hand making sure you are lined up on the runners. It will take a little force and may take several tries. Test fit the follower and repeat the spreading until the follower moves freely.
I had no FTF issues yesterday. I went through 20 1.25oz slugs at 1325, 30 9 pellet 00 Buck at 1345, and 10 #3 shot 3" at 1400. Not a single issue.
Except, the operating handle flew out of the bolt 3 times.

Since my problems I’ve shot 2 3/4 buck shot and slugs. Also 15 rounds of 3” buck shots. Totaling about 50 rounds and yet to have a problem. Just last week , I have received the 9 round magazines. Which I found on the manufacture website.
https://advancedtactical.com/products/
Which they do have them in stock.
I ordered the 4 free mags from advancedtactical promotion a month ago haven't received it yet.

Back
Top Bottom