1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rock Island Armory VR80

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Misfitmike63, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Misfitmike63

Misfitmike63 NES Member

did a search first, and couldn't find anything here

Has anyone looking into this shotgun? Just saw it the other day and I cant find much information about it. Hoping someone here might be able to shed a little bit of light onto it.

VR80 | Armscor International, Inc

Choctaw likes this.

2. looser38

looser38 NES Member

FWIW, my two cents is RIA is a solid company that sells solid products at a very reasonable price. What more could you ask for? Good warranty policy, etc. If this platform interests you, GO FOR IT! ENJOY!! Nice Christmas present for yourself.

3. Shotgun Scully

Shotgun Scully

Very cool looking.

4. Misfitmike63

Misfitmike63 NES Member

That’s the plan, just wondering if anyone had any feedback on these yet. Also, does emperor healey know about these

5. PilotRPI

PilotRPI

She does now. Annnnnnd ban.

6. 426wedge

426wedge NES Member

Only has a 5 round mag. Is that a pistol grip?

7. Misfitmike63

Misfitmike63 NES Member

“Thumb hole stock”

Technically not a pistol grip

8. Jimdev45

Jimdev45

Want one of these to, and can’t find any info

9. 01906

01906 NES Member

10. egouin

egouin NES Member

This piqued my interest also. Pretty low cost ($699 MSRP). Ordered one. Supposed to be delivered in April/May.

11. Davocop

Davocop

This is my personal review and the issues Ive had with this weapon. Last week, I purchased the Rock Island VR 80. At first look, I thought, this weapon has such great potential and could be a good weapon. Next , I thought who in their right mind would put such a goofy looking stock on this weapon. So I decided , that I had to do something about it. I did some research online and found out this weapon has a commercial buffer stock and standardized grip. So with that in mind, I decided to remove this hideous stock. Luckily, I had some left over commercial stock and handgrip. With two bolts, this finger hold California importer looking stock was off and my spare parts on.
    The next day, I just had to shoot it. Reluctantly, in disappointment it wouldn’t function correctly out of the box. Immediately, I called the manufacture which they said it needed to have a break in period. Big hog wash!! That’s crazy!! Never , in my lifetime have I broke in a weapon. Be mindful, I did follow the general rule of lubing a weapon prior to shooting. Which is expected and only is needed straight out of the box. After my first shot failed it to extract and load the second round. Strangely , I immediately thought this has a gassing issue. Which I’ve experienced with many suppressed rifles. Instead of returning it to the manufacture for several weeks, I decided to tear it down for further diagnosis. Ironically, I found out this weapon doesn’t have anything that I have seen. This rifle did have a gas system which looks like a direct injected gas system that expends gasses directly from the barrel into a sleeve bushing system. Which pushes the bolt back. Which you find out when you have the bolt to the rear and you hear an annoying rattling sound.
    After tear down and close inspection it appeared from the factory these holes were never cleared therefore caused the problem. To remedy the problem, I took a small punch and removed all of the milling debris. Which did open up all the holes. It appears due to all of the debris, it wasn’t allowing all of the gas into the sleeve and not cycling the bolt correctly. Unfortunately, i feel this could be potentially a problem if not cleaned properly. After a good strip down of all components and degreasing of this weapon it finally fired and cycled properly. I also polished the feed ramp which it too was a problem. I found it helped and prevented the rounds from becoming jammed when cycling rounds from the magazine and into the chamber. I’ve attached the before and after picks of my rifle with the standard commercial AR parts which does fit this rifle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    xjma99 and Misfitmike63 like this.
  12. cams

cams NES Member

Thanks for writing up that review, I’ve also been interested in one of these. Welcome to NES.

It would def help (us and you) if you used a little more attention to detail before hitting the “post reply” button so it reads more sensibly.

How long was your wait time to receive this and have you done any more shooting with it since that first excursion?

13. Misfitmike63

Misfitmike63 NES Member

Davocop, just out of curiosity, what state are you in?

14. Davocop

Davocop

Indiana

15. Davocop

Davocop

Not long and sorry next time I will use a computer verses an iPhone. It just makes it really hard to track my errors on such a little screen.

xjma99 likes this.
  16. Davocop

Davocop

Since my problems I’ve shot 2 3/4 buck shot and slugs. Also 15 rounds of 3” buck shots. Totaling about 50 rounds and yet to have a problem. Just last week , I have received the 9 round magazines. Which I found on the manufacture website.
    https://advancedtactical.com/products/
    Which they do have them in stock.

17. cams

cams NES Member

Thanks. No apologies needed, a lot of us use our phones to post, just takes an extra minute or so to double check it all. If it’s at least somewhat legible it can garner more attention and replies as opposed to people looking at an eye headache and just skipping over it to the next thread.

Keep us up to date on that shotgun as you shoot it more. Thanks again.