Road Trip and LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a LTC and am planning a trip accross Route 66, I was wondering, is it legal for me to carry from state to state?

Thanks
-James

Of course it is- if you have a non-resident LTC for each state you will be traveling through. Or if you have a non-resident LTC for a state that each state reciprocates with. Which you probably don't. But if you have time before your trip you can research the gun laws of each state you will be in and find out what you need.

Check http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and then refer to each state's own official website (NEVER take the word of anyone anything you read on the Internet without verifying with an official source)!

The answer no doubt is NO! If you have FL CCW or Utah CCW in addition to MA, you might be legal in many states, but as a "for instance" NY issues NO NR permits and doesn't recognize ANY other state's permits, so you'd be out of luck there. NJ is most likely the same way (check, not my expertise).

And even if legal, you MUST abide by the state you are in's laws on WHERE you can carry and where you can NOT carry (e.g. restaurants, malls, posted places, stores that sell alcohol, etc.). Each state is different!

If you're only doing it once it's probably a pain in the butt to get
true 100% compliance across all those states WRT carry. I know for a
fact that an MA license doesn't get one very far. So this means you will
have to go through the hassle of acquiring additional licenses for other
states.

Additionally, any "commie" states are pretty much off limits for CCW. You
can basically forget about CCWing in IL or CA, for instance. When traversing
through commie states your gun will have to be locked up in the
trunk or out of reach. (in some cases it might be worse than that,
especially if you have to -stop- in a commie state, like IL. )

-Mike

For starters, you can't travel Route 66 for the simple reason that it doesn't exist. In some places the highways that used to be part of Route 665 exist; in a lot of others, they simply don't. Pedantry aside, you most likely won't be able to carry at either end of the trip (California and Illinois), but it would be possible over a lot of the rest of the trip (AZ, NM, TX, OK, MO).
R_66.JPG

Ken

That would require some actual effort on the OP's part. Given what he's posted so far, I think you expect too much.... [rolleyes]

Scriv, ahem . . . NO INSULTS!!

For your information, I now know CrabPirate having spent a day shooting with him and his girlfriend.

- He is a very serious young man, more mature than his 22 years.
- However, he is inexperienced in the world of guns and is trying to learn and absorb like a sponge.
- Thus, he asks a lot of questions because he doesn't know all the answers.
- He also lives in a situation where his Parents don't like guns, so he can't ask them anything. Thus he comes here. [BTW, my Parents were 100% anti-gun as was my Wife for very many years. Never got my Parents to turn around, but my Wife finally did.]

I do not know how soon his proposed road trip is to happen, so indeed he may not have the time to get the course, paperwork and waiting period to get a UT CCW before hitting the road! And we've already ID'd states in this thread where no permit is going to help!

In closing, I'm proud to know CrabPirate and have no doubt that one day he'll be on here giving other new shooters advice.

So either offer constructive advice to him so he can learn, or keep quiet, but keep the sarcasm/insults to yourself as they won't be tolerated here any longer, regardless if they are aimed at him or someone else.

Anyone who can place a post on a forum can use the "SEARCH" button on that forum.

Or run a query through GOOGLE.

Or Ask.com.

Or use the knowledge presumably already acquired by his time on this board and, therefore, seeing numerous threads about reciprocity, interstate transport and references to other sources, particularly www.packing.org.

Note also the initial post:

I was wondering, is it legal for me to carry from state to state?

Now tell us just what evidence of your friend being "serious" is contained therein - or anywhere else on this forum?

Scriv, knock it off!

The search mechanism on this forum sucks big ones! Even when I use Advanced Search to narrow something down so I can post the link in a person's query, we're now getting 17-25 pages of hits (at 40/page)! That frustrates the hell out of our users and I understand that. As the forum grows bigger this will just get even more unmanageable.

Querying this forum thru Google takes knowing the trick which most I'm sure are unaware of. Even I am unaware of how I can do that and narrow it down to ONLY hits on NES within the Gun Laws sub-forum.

Packing.org is full of mis-information, very sadly out of date. There was a thread here about that. handgunlaws.us is now a better venue . . . but one should still "trust but verify" before relying on it.

First, let's dismiss your minor rationalizations and distractions:

1. Why limit a GOOGLE search to this forum? A full search would uncover many useful links. The same is true of Ask.com.

2. While packing.org is not what it was, it has enough information to answer the simple question presented.

3. GOAL's FAQ's section would have helped - had your friend made ANY attempt to do his own research.

4. Anyone with as much time on this forum as your friend should have seen a number of posts addressing reciprocity, interstate transport, etc.

What you are desperately trying to distract us from is the obvious deficiency: Your friend did NOTHING to investigate his pipe-dream pilgrimage of carrying guns across state lines down a no-longer-existing road. Period.

I don't think making expecting someone who wants help to make some effort to obtain what he needs on his own first is unrealistic.

Given the objections to welfare and the "nanny state" on this forum, it would be inconsistent for us NOT to expect such an effort to first be made.

Keith, since all these things are (as you constantly point out) so obvious, simple and clear, we can well do without your annoying habit of constantly repeating it. We probably wouldn't object if you managed to do so in a friendly and inoffensive manner, but since you seem either unable or unwilling to do so, the next time you feel outraged by someone's failure to meet your standards, please either STFU or take a hike. If you find the way this forum is managed to be in any way offensive to your standards, you're always free at any time to pay for domain name registration and a server, install and manage the software, and start your own forum, operated totally in conformance to your desires.

Ken

Hey everyone just settle down, I didn't take offense to any of what Scrivener posted, and yeah Tony D I came here first, so it was a bit lazy of me, I just thought it was a yes or no answer sort of thing, like yes it's legal, or no it's not legal without permits and the work to ascertain said permits outweighs the benefit of going on the trip armed. Also, when I said travel route 66 I meant just explore what I can of it. I just didn't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere and have a deliverance-esque encounter with the locals.

-Thanks
James

Last edited:
from what i am told. if you are just passing through another state and you get stopped you should be fine. However where ever your destination is you may want to check local laws there.

rom what i am told. if you are just passing through another state and you get stopped you should be fine. However where ever your destination is you may want to check local laws there.
The original post asked about carrying (presumably, carrying concealed). Doing so in a state for which you are not licensed is a good way to wind up in jail.

from what i am told. if you are just passing through another state and you get stopped you should be fine. However where ever your destination is you may want to check local laws there.

WRONG - the common consequence of passing on what you are told without actually checking its veracity.

One cannot legally carry in a state which requires a permit to do so without that permit or one which that state recognizes.

Further, one cannot even TRANSPORT legally unless:

1. The possession is legal in the state of origin; AND

2. Legal in the destination state.

And that presumes the transport requirements are complied with.

Still want to tell us how he "should be fine?" [rolleyes]

Keith, since all these things are (as you constantly point out) so obvious, simple and clear, we can well do without your annoying habit of constantly repeating it. We probably wouldn't object if you managed to do so in a friendly and inoffensive manner, but since you seem either unable or unwilling to do so, the next time you feel outraged by someone's failure to meet your standards, please either STFU or take a hike. If you find the way this forum is managed to be in any way offensive to your standards, you're always free at any time to pay for domain name registration and a server, install and manage the software, and start your own forum, operated totally in conformance to your desires.

Ken

Indeed. Give me a break. I normally bite my literary tongue when the sarcasm, patronizing comments and belittling behavior occur, but I must agree here.

Enough is enough.

I mean, hasn't Scrivener been given a suspension once already for just this sort of thing?

And Keith, before you attempt to flame me with some pious example of your supposedly superior vernacular and ogre wit, understand that none of us go on the offensive with you unprovoked. The pattern is the same time and time again:

1: Someone asks a question, and admittedly often it is a new poster asking something that may have been covered in detail before, or says something that may be incorrect either operationally or legally.

2: You jump in and anihilate them.

3: The OP, and others (regular posters and mods alike) get irritated and ask you politely to refrain from being nasty.

4: You most often play "I can use bigger words than you" and further distance yourself and make others upset.

A simple "This has been covered before, please do an advanced search on blah blah blah" or "Your assumptions/statements are not correct, here is the correct information" would solve 95% of the "stupid" questions asked here. (I subscribe to the concept that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, but I know this is not the case with everyone) Other posters and mods have taken this tactful approach, and consistently the thread either ends up in a useful exchange of information, or "dies on the vine" with the OP doing his or her own research.

This is an example of what, in my opinion, a functioning and pleasant online community should be like.

Please treat us with respect online, just as (I assume) you would were we standing in front of you.

Indeed. Give me a break. I normally bite my literary tongue when the sarcasm, patronizing comments and belittling behavior occur, but I must agree here.

Enough is enough.

And it took you over 11 weeks to reach that conclusion? Because that's how old the post you quoted is.

If, on the other hand, you feel compelled to leap to Red Cow's defense, please identify at least either, and preferably, both, of the following:

1. In what way, shape, manner or form was Red Cow's post accurate, or even remotely useful?

2. In what way, shape, manner or form was my post inaccurate, or not useful?

If you admit Red Cow was wrong, you favor the posting of misinformation as part of your misguided sense of community.

If you object to my criticizing those who mindlessly repeat misinformation - on a subject already well-covered - then you again favor ignorance over information, while knowingly tolerating those who disseminate falsehoods, all to give you the "warm fuzzies."

Please treat us with respect online, just as (I assume) you would were we standing in front of you.

I'll bite - are you truly saying we should encourage the internet equivalent of graffitti and rumor because it deserves respect?

If so, we hold widely divergent views of what is worthy of "respect." I'm interested in hearing how you arrived at your position.

In order,

1:I did not take 11 weeks to reach any conclusions. I have been holding my tongue for 1 YEAR, ever since you utterly incinerated me for misspelling Para-Ordnance (the ultimate crime, I know) when I first joined the board. I drew my conclusion THEN that you were rude and combative. I just gave you the benefit of the doubt and reserved comment until now. If you think that the impetus for my post on this thread had ANYTHING to do with the OP's post, as opposed to your incessant Machiavellian BS, you sir, are truly as detached from the rest of humanity as I feared.

2: (Your "point" one) Red Cow's post is irrevelvant here. If you could see past your own nose and actually have read (and by read, I actually mean attempt to at least acknowledge someone else's point) my post to you, you would have seen that I do NOT condone someone, new or not, asking basic questions without doing a little research first. My point was that there's a "nice" way to handle these situations, a "firm but still civil" way, and then a rude way. Then there's YOUR way.

You know: The "I've got my masters or doctorate or post doctorate and I'm highly educated and I've got a 400,000.00 vocabulary and I just can't wait to make you feel like crap with my superior intellect and oh won't I show you a thing or two etc etc etc." way.

That way.

That way is in direct relation to your second question.

How was your post not useful (or inaccurate)?

Inaccurate? I have NEVER (and will never) quote you as being uninformed about your profession. Nor did I infer in any way that your post was not accurate. I'm quite sure that the information in your post would stand up in a court of law.

Not useful? AHA! Now we're getting somewhere! Although it is clear to me now, that you lack either compassion or basic people skills to understand this; I'll spell it out anyways:

Even the best advice's value is greatly diminished when it is "applied with a sledgehammer". Do I really need to elaborate on this? Have you ever been treated rudely? Have you ever been talked down to or been given a verbal "slap in the face" simply because you sought knowledge? I'm sure you have, as we all have at one point or another. How does it feel? Perception is 95% reality. You know it. I know it. We do NOT live in an empirical truth vacuum.

If you object to my criticizing those who mindlessly repeat misinformation - on a subject already well-covered - then you again favor ignorance over information, while knowingly tolerating those who disseminate falsehoods, all to give you the "warm fuzzies."

I object to you criticizing in general. Look around you on the board; does anyone else treat new and old posters alike such as you do? Don't bother to page through 3,650 posts to try and "research" this, because the answer is no. I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of people on this board, and my experience has largely been an excellent one. You have no right to belittle anyone, period. As for the "warm fuzzies", you obviously do NOT know me. I do not favor ignorance over information, I favor decency and consideration for my fellow shooters, and yes there are times when people need to be "put in their place", but these are rare and extreme times. Not EVERY time someone misspells a word, or makes a comment that is not raw fact. Nor are all of these posts "mindless". I'm sure there topics that you know utterly nothing about (as there are for all of us), so if you asked a question, made a statement or voiced an opinion about said topic, without having all the pertinent info on hand, are you "mindless"?

Goddammit man, give me a break.

Last edited:
1:I did not take 11 weeks to reach any conclusions.

The calendar indicates otherwise.

Even the best advice's value is greatly diminished when it is "applied with a sledgehammer".

No argument.

There are those, however, incapable of "grasping the concept" by lesser means. Posting easily-answered questions for which they have admittedly made NO effort to research, or parroting drivel where their input is as irrelevant as it is erroneous are two such examples.

How does coddling either assist your online community?

For once Scriv, you and I may agree on something, although we approach it from two different angles. I think you're reffering to one of my favorite quotes:

"There's no cure for stupid"

And yes, there are those who deserve everything they get. The mouth-breathing 85 IQ pinheads that are a literal black hole of intellect.

One of my concerns is making sure that you know that I, and most others on this board are not those people. A few are, most aren't.

Good night.

There are those, however, incapable of "grasping the concept" by lesser means. Posting easily-answered questions for which they have admittedly made NO effort to research, or parroting drivel where their input is as irrelevant as it is erroneous are two such examples.

How does coddling either assist your online community?
By not driving members away. By your scathing sarcasm, Keith, you alienate people who might otherwise have good contributions to make.

By humiliating them, by heaping withering scorn on them, all they take away is that this is a place where they dare not admit ignorance, for they will be made fun of... and who likes to be on the receiving end of that?

I suppose that all of the rest of us could start making fun of how grumpy you are, and how you haven't had your coffee that morning, etc, but then we'd be driving YOU away... and I, for one, would not want that to happen, as when you DO reply, your answers are always worth reading.

get your Kicks on Rt 66

There are parts of Rt66 that still exist. RT 44/Rt66 but it would drive you nuts going on and off and the ruts would give you saddle sores. Be sure you ride the Chisom trail while your in Yukon,OK

I have not traveled all the way from Chigago to LA on Rt 66 but have done maybe half of it. Its see-nik to say the least. Quite a few areas you would be wise to carry protection.

Speaking of: If your on a motorcycle. How do you carry locked in a trunk?

Maybe a metal lock box bolted inside a saddlebag? Anybody have experance with this?

DO NOT DRIVE INTO SMOKE!

100_0279_small.jpg

How does one post an Advatar?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom