RIP Vermont: update the restrictions passed the House

I can't believe Vermont has fallen. This is more upsetting to me than any other state passing BS gun control because Vermont was such a beacon of hope and freedom in this anti BS climate. If this is not a wake up call to everyone on this forum and every gun owner in America, I don't know what is...

The most disturbing aspect of this legislation is the speed with which it was just rammed through. You would think there would be a longer process to the whole thing, hearings, etc. So in addition to it being terrible it smells like some people conspired to get this rammed through quickly so that any opposition wouldn't have time to mount....

I wonder if VT has a voter referendum? the best way to crush this horseshit would be to put the population to the test, as crazy as it sounds. I bet it might be possible to defeat most of it that way.... I mean Maine just told Bloomberg & co to f*** off quite loudly recently with their UBC bullshit.... it was too close for comfort but shitberg spent like 6 million dollars drumming up full on moonbat votes in Maine. No reason why gun owners can't do the
reverse if VT has a referendum system. Or even if a referendum isn't possible in this cycle, there needs to be a drive to make sure that turncoat pieces of shit lose their elections in places where they are vulnerable.

-Mike

Sadly, this all proves my longstanding observation: "There are only two kinds of Blue States... those already with oppressive "gun control" and those just waiting for the right time to impose it." I guess this was the right time for Vermont.

The most disturbing aspect of this legislation is the speed with which it was just rammed through. You would think there would be a longer process to the whole thing, hearings, etc. So in addition to it being terrible it smells like some people conspired to get this rammed through quickly so that any opposition wouldn't have time to mount....

MA anti-bump stock was an "emergency" bill
FL anti bill was an "emergency" bill

there is a pattern here and so far it worked very well for the left, both D and R

I wonder if VT has a voter referendum? the best way to crush this horseshit would be to put the population to the test, as crazy as it sounds. I bet it might be possible to defeat most of it that way.... I mean Maine just told Bloomberg & co to f*** off quite loudly recently with their UBC bullshit.... it was too close for comfort but shitberg spent like 6 million dollars drumming up full on moonbat votes in Maine. No reason why gun owners can't do the
reverse if VT has a referendum system. Or even if a referendum isn't possible in this cycle, there needs to be a drive to make sure that turncoat pieces of shit lose their elections in places where they are vulnerable.

-Mike
This wasn't an emergency bill. It went through the normal process on the Senate side, though the House side seems to have been accelerated.

Sadly, this all proves my longstanding observation: "There are only two kinds of Blue States... those already with oppressive "gun control" and those just waiting for the right time to impose it." I guess this was the right time for Vermont.

You couldn’t be more right, except that in this case the supposed “r” governor did a complete 180 and actively encouraged the anti gun legislature to act immediately after the shooting in Florida.

You couldn’t be more right, except that in this case the supposed “r” governor did a complete 180 and actively encouraged the anti gun legislature to act immediately after the shooting in Florida.

I would say the flip is more gruesome.
After Florida Shooting, Vermont Governor Says No New Gun Laws
Feb 15th: After Florida Shooting, Vermont Governor Says No New Gun Laws

Gov. Scott says he's 'changed completely' on gun issues
Feb 22nd: Gov. Scott says he's 'changed completely' on gun issues

I work in VT. A lot of my co-workers are gun owners, but still have that "FUDD" mentality. "Oh, I don't mind universal background checks. Oh, well, I already have my 30rd magazines. Oh, well, I'm way over 21 anyway." Chip, chip, chip. Bit by bit, they just don't get that they are giving away the store piece by piece.

The people I know in VT are the same way. "Well, who needs that", "Well, so they have to wait a few years to buy a gun". They wont know the stoe is gone till its too late, then they will blame everyone else.

The people I know in VT are the same way. "Well, who needs that", "Well, so they have to wait a few years to buy a gun". They wont know the stoe is gone till its too late, then they will blame everyone else.

Next up will be safe storage laws. You have to be 100% sure that nobody under 21 can get their hands on guns. Probably ought to register them too, just to aid in recovering them in the event of a theft.

This is exactly what happened. The bill, S.55, started in the Vt Senate in July 2017 as a bill to regulate drug sales:

The title and purpose were then changed by amendment in committee in late February to a bill regarding the disposition of abandoned firearms:
The Committee recommends that the bill be amended by striking out all after the enacting clause and inserting in lieu thereof the following: Sec. 1. 20 V.S.A. § 2301 is amended to read: § 2301. APPLICABILITY OF CHAPTER Notwithstanding any other provisions of law relating to the retention and disposition of evidence or lost, unclaimed, or abandoned property, the provisions of this chapter shall govern the retention or disposition, or both, of unlawful firearms, as defined in section 2302 of this title, in the possession of any agency, as defined in section 2302 and the disposition of abandoned firearms in the possession of the Department of Public Safety.
And a second amendment was added putting in place universal background checks. From there the race was on and all the rest of the crap was piled on by amendment in committee. It is worth noting that the original title of bill, on the regulation of drug sales, appears to have been used the whole time in the Senate: talk about sleaze. Even once it went to the House, they only used the title having to do with the disposition of abandoned firearms (the current title of the bill), which is a complete misdirection on the actual purpose and content of the bill.

It appears the Vermont legislature, and governor, has taken the leap down quad black diamond slippery slope of gun control. I'm hoping for my VT friends this bill somehow does a Michael Kennedy, but it's not clear if or how that will happen.

2018 Make-up of VT Legislature:

House (150 members total) - 83D, 53R, 7I, 7P (P=Progressive)
Senate (30 members total) - 21D, 7R, 2P

I haven't looked too closely at the breakdown of votes on these bills but I don't think I have to. EJFUDD is right on the money. If you look at Oregon the same thing happened there recently.

Aside from hand-wringing I still think there are really 2 major things we can do to counteract this Marxist push:

1. Take everyone you know who's ever expressed even a lukewarm desire to try shooting, to the range;

2. Shout from the rooftops the well-established statistic that guns are used AT LEAST 10x (extremely conservative) as often annually to preserve life as to take lives.

If you personally know someone who actually used a firearm in defense of themselves or their families and as a result was NOT harmed/raped/killed, ask them (if willing) to tell their story to every skeptic you know. If you yourself has had this unnerving experience, share it.

Just my .02 cents worth.

2018 Make-up of VT Legislature:

House (150 members total) - 83D, 53R, 7I, 7P (P=Progressive)
Senate (30 members total) - 21D, 7R, 2P

I haven't looked too closely at the breakdown of votes on these bills but I don't think I have to. EJFUDD is right on the money. If you look at Oregon the same thing happened there recently. ...
Here's the breakout:
  • House (85 Y, 59 N, 6 NA):
    • Yea: 74 D, 7 P, 3 R, 1 I
    • Nay: 7 D, 0 P, 46 R, 6 I
    • Not voting/Absent: 3 D, 3 R
  • Senate (17 Y, 14 N):
    • Yea: 15 D, 2 P
    • Nay: 6 D, 7 R
As one can see the Democrats and Progressives carried the bill. The RINOs in the House that voted for the bill are Baser, Fagan, and Scheuermann.

IMNSHO there is some serious outside money involved somewhere for this to pass, particularly with the House margin and the flipping governor.

I would say the flip is more gruesome.
After Florida Shooting, Vermont Governor Says No New Gun Laws
Feb 15th: After Florida Shooting, Vermont Governor Says No New Gun Laws

Gov. Scott says he's 'changed completely' on gun issues
Feb 22nd: Gov. Scott says he's 'changed completely' on gun issues
To me people like this are very troublesome because they obviously stand for nothing or are too stupid to form their own opinions on subjects. All the shootings in the world can never change my outlook on firearms because I don't blame the dogs teeth for biting me, I blame the dog. This guy seems like even a bigger flip-flopper than POTUS

I would love to take people shooting but is there a place where you can do that and not have to be a member and them not licensed?

better idea is to shame the f*** out of FUDDS for betraying the Constitution and f***ing over their grandkids out of their rights. The best part is you don't need to look for them, they will come to you at the range.

I would love to take people shooting but is there a place where you can do that and not have to be a member and them not licensed?

As far as an indoor range, there are a few around where you can just pay by the hour (Mass Firearms School in Holliston comes to mind but there are several others).

www.massfirearmsschool.com

Even as ridiculous as MA gun laws are it's totally legal to allow a non-licensed individual to possess and fire a gun as long as it's under the direct supervision of a duly licensed adult. I'm sure someone will immediately correct me if I'm wrong.

Also please PM me if you want more ideas. I belong to a reasonably-priced gun club that's relatively close to Worcester that allows guests to accompany paid members and I'd be thrilled to have the opportunity to help introduce more people into the shooting world anytime, as well as help you do so.

I gotta say. I hate being right. I ignored this thread for a whole week. I come back and exactly what I said was happening happened.

"This is only committee." Unreal. Seems like some folks might be out-of-touch around here. People in and out of VT considered VT to be a "free" state when every indication was that it wasn't.

Will your state be next???? Or should we all just flee to Alaska or something? Maybe buy our own island in the South Pacific.

I gotta say. I hate being right. I ignored this thread for a whole week. I come back and exactly what I said was happening happened.

"This is only committee." Unreal. Seems like some folks might be out-of-touch around here. People in and out of VT considered VT to be a "free" state when every indication was that it wasn't.

Will your state be next???? Or should we all just flee to Alaska or something? Maybe buy our own island in the South Pacific.

For the record, nothing has been signed into law yet. This was updated about 10 minutes ago...

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Vermont legislation that would make it easier to take guns from suicidal people and perpetrators of domestic violence could reach Republican Gov. Phil Scott’s desk this week, and a spokeswoman says he would sign it.

Democratic Sen. Richard Sears said Monday he expects the Legislature to pass the legislation by the end of the week and send it to the governor. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Maxine Grad, also a Democrat, says she expects the legislation to pass, but she’s not sure it will reach the governor this week.

Separate legislation that would raise the legal age for gun purchases, expand background checks and ban high-capacity devices is expected to receive final approval in the Vermont House on Tuesday. That legislation will need to be reconciled with a Senate version.

Gun restrictions legislation expected to advance in Vermont

If it does pass, please post your home address so we can send you your trophy.

There's much more in the article that this, but I thought it was encouraging to see law enforcement protesting gun control.

He expects the senate may ask for conference committee be convened to work on the bill. A new group, Vermont Law Enforcement Against Gun Control, is holding a rally at the State House Tuesday opposing the bill. It begins at 8am.

Thousands sign ethics complaint petition amid controversial gun bill vote

I don't know much about this group and facespace won't let me see much on their page without signing in, but it can't hurt to have law enforcement on our side.

There's much more in the article that this, but I thought it was encouraging to see law enforcement protesting gun control.

Thousands sign ethics complaint petition amid controversial gun bill vote

I don't know much about this group and facespace won't let me see much on their page without signing in, but it can't hurt to have law enforcement on our side.

that's pretty much the only LEO group that I know of that's advocating against gun control. In MA all LEO orgs are solid with Dims.

Back
Top Bottom