RIP Vermont: update the restrictions passed the House

Not so fast. I read a story today from True North Reports titled "House Committee approves slew of gun restrictions despite flood of opposition from Vermonters". Sorry for my technological shortcomings and no direct link, but the story covers complaints from Vermonters that their phone calls and emails are being withheld from legislators.

Family and friends who live in VT told me today that they will definitely remember who voted in favor of this.

[QUOTE="Dennis in MA, post

Why not hole-in-the-ground Assbackastan? Because eventually you/we are going to run out of fall-back positions INSIDE the US. Maybe stay and fight? Nah.

Rock on Dennis in MA [cheers]

Not so fast. I read a story today from True North Reports titled "House Committee approves slew of gun restrictions despite flood of opposition from Vermonters". Sorry for my technological shortcomings and no direct link, but the story covers complaints from Vermonters that their phone calls and emails are being withheld from legislators.

Family and friends who live in VT told me today that they will definitely remember who voted in favor of this.

Problem is once it's done it's over. There is no going back.

Problem is once it's done it's over. There is no going back.

That’s precisely the bottom line of all of this. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Power never goes downhill once it’s gone uphill. Venezuelans can’t take out Maduro as private firearms were banned in 2012 and now we see Brazilians begging to get their gun rights back as well. Be careful , VT.

I have been thinking about how many times, one or two counties or cities in a State will decide an issue for the rest of the State. The election of Governor is one example. Perhaps it is time to apply the Electoral College to State elections. You must win a majority of Counties to win the Governor's Office. And/or State referendums. All too often a section (or counties) in the State will impose its will on the rest of the State. We see this sometimes in Maine with the Ballot referendums.

I have been thinking about how many times, one or two counties or cities in a State will decide an issue for the rest of the State. The election of Governor is one example. Perhaps it is time to apply the Electoral College to State elections. You must win a majority of Counties to win the Governor's Office. And/or State referendums. All too often a section (or counties) in the State will impose its will on the rest of the State. We see this sometimes in Maine with the Ballot referendums.

Connecticut electorally speaking = Hartford, New Haven and Bridgeport. [puke]

I've often suggested one chamber of the legislature should be comprised, rather than popularly-elected representatives, of town appointees, 169 of them in total. Nominated by each municipality's executive branch, and ratified by its legislative. (Mayor/city council for the cities; Board of Selectmen/Town Meeting for the towns.) Laughter ensues. That ship has long since sailed. The current system puts the cities firmly in command, and the cities will never allow it to change. The only thing that could happen to put that into place, save nukes judiciously applied, would be a Detroit-style implosion.

That is a fine idea. Perhaps along with repeal of the 17th Amendment the people would have more control of the government. But your point about the cities is well taken, they will never give up their power base.

I live next door to the NEK. Yes, it's full of granola munching off-grid old-school hippies who carry guns and knives. They have to defend their goat herds, after all. (Seriously, I love the folks across the river.)

State v. State aside, this was just a committee vote. Vermont hasn't banned guns just because some carpetbagger committee recommended more restrictions.

Knowing lots of those NEK folks just across the river, I know they wouldn't even care if the bill became law... after they eventually heard about it... 16 years down the road...

Yeah. LOL. Or not. I've known plenty of north-of-nowhere VT and NH people that are far more liberal than you and I. It's easy to blame the transplants. But this was bound to happen at some point. VT's been user-liberal for a long long time. Eventually, all of their policies align.

Why not hole-in-the-ground Assbackastan? Because eventually you/we are going to run out of fall-back positions INSIDE the US. Maybe stay and fight? Nah.

+1
There ARE no free states, just states that are less not-free.

Deserved to be said a second time.

This fight is in EVERY state. Im sure some lower-cased 3-letter poster will come and tell us that VT sucks and MA sucks and everywhere else sucks but where he is because it's aw'suuummmmm. The battle is everywhere. Falling back is admitting defeat.

Yup.... buy more stuff, or take nons or newbies to the range..... best way to counter protest.

some rando: "Did you hear about the protest?"

us: "I was too busy at the gun show / range / insert other shooting activity here to care about what some freedom hating idiots were shouting about in the town square."

-Mike

SADLY WHAT MIKE SAID IS PAINFULY TRUE.

Not only did the house pass everything, the senate has already passed the original bill.

The Senate passed S.55 with provisions to raise the legal age to purchase guns to 21 and expand background checks to private sales.

The House Judiciary Committee amended the bill to include a ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds and so-called bump stocks, which can turn firearms into automatic weapons.

Vt. House debates gun bill

All that needs to happen now is for the senate to agree to the additions of mag ban and bump stock ban. Per the article VTski4x4 posted, the governor sounds like he will sign it.

Republican Gov. Phil Scott said Thursday that lawmakers had done some good work on the bill and said he could see himself supporting a magazine limit depending the details of the provision.

Here are the vote totals, most sections of the bill passed by wide margins.

The House approved the underlying bill which lays out how the state will deal with guns in its possession on a 141-2 vote. It also approved the bump stock ban by a 119-25 margin. And the provision to expand background checks passed 83-61. The most controversial measure-- the magazine limit-- passed 79-66.

VT is lost.

Gun owners finally thought we could take a deep breath and let out a sigh of relief upon Trumps election but instead we're getting shafted royally. My condolences to those that love freedom in VT. and now have to deal with this crap.

Wow, so VT finally did the CO jump. Let it be a lesson that national party agendas can and will play out in state politics, even where that agenda is almost irrelevant. It's package politics, and big national money is there to see it ALL happens.

I am frankly shocked.

I am too, quite frankly- but for some reason I think the fat lady hasn't quite sung her last tune yet.... I could see them pushing UBC and other throwaways, but the mag ban etc? That's going to piss a lot of old school
vermonters off, regardless of political affiliation.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom