• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Transport Brain Exercise

Here's a question: What would happen if you carried your scary rifle around (where legal) in a properly locked case that happens to be clear/transparent so people can see it? I know I know - SWAT response, face down on the ground, loss of LTC, etc etc... but are you breaking any MA law? Perhaps they'd try to hit you with brandishing or some b.s.

Here's a question: What would happen if you carried your scary rifle around (where legal) in a properly locked case that happens to be clear/transparent so people can see it? I know I know - SWAT response, face down on the ground, loss of LTC, etc etc... but are you breaking any MA law? Perhaps they'd try to hit you with brandishing or some b.s.

Do you mean by "carry," on you person?

If it's on you person, then the law requires that it cased, and unloaded, unless lawfully engaged in hunting. Locked is not part of the laws.

There is no "brandishing" statute.

Of course a few years back, a SWAT response was called, for a guy with an umbrella, at Burlington Mall:

Man with umbrella causes rifle scare in Mass. mall

So....as I've said before...if you have to ask, you know the answer [laugh]

Your title says, "Transport"

If you mean in your vehicle, the rifle, if not large capacity, merely needs to be unloaded. There is no MGL requirement for it to be cased, or locked.

That said, see the linked article. [rolleyes]

BTW, I'm the one that coined the term, "Massprudence"

Ha ha. I remember when I was in college (early 1980's) I bought a car from a guy in Wakefield. He had a rifle rack with rifles in the rear window of his pickup truck. I don't suppose that would go over so well today.

Of course a few years back, a SWAT response was called, for a guy with an umbrella, at Burlington Mall

I passed by the mall that day, I shit you not MSP had a little bird hovering in the parking lot with a guy hanging out the door. They were not f***ing around with that umbrella.

1mltay.jpg

My old man used to drive around with the M1A in the back window rack, 12 ga 1100 under it and a .22 Lever fun on the lowest rack. We also used to take pot shots at old lobster buoys off Macmillan warf in provenctown in the off season

My old man used to drive around with the M1A in the back window rack, 12 ga 1100 under it and a .22 Lever fun on the lowest rack. We also used to take pot shots at old lobster buoys off Macmillan warf in provenctown in the off season

Shit like that was not uncommon on the lower cape until not all that long ago. I know of guys that used to sit on top of the dunes and shoot at seals with M1 Garands. Nobody gave a shit. Then the property values and taxes skyrocketed and it quickly began to lose the cool coastal redneck feel it had for most of it's history. Now you get dickbag moonbat yuppies calling the cops because they hear rifle fire coming from Nauset Rod & Gun Club.

I don't agree with anyone being denied 2A but this guy was just full on gunautistic.
From Simkin Case:
On November 6, 2009, Simkin traveled to Stoneham for a medical appointment. At the medical office, and in order to protect his privacy, Simkin used a pseudonym (“Horace Jones”) and registered under a Maryland address. He also declined to provide a phone number, and, at the conclusion of the medical examination, paid the $1,500 bill in cash. Prior to disrobing in the examination room, Simkin informed the medical assistant that he was armed and proceeded to secure his weapons (two firearms, ammunition, and four knives) in a locked briefcase for the duration of the examination. Employees of the medical office were “alarmed” and “concerned for their safety” based on Simkin's conduct, and one of the employees contacted Stoneham police much later that day to report their concerns.

Back
Top Bottom