• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle recommendations

You can't shoot animals without violating their civil rights, you have to just follow them around until they die of natural causes... [laugh]

Thanks bud [rofl]

My Mod 10 varmint in 308 is a tack driver .....even at 1000 yds .

I read on the internet that some guy was getting quarter sized groups at 1K yds with a stock Rem 700 in .308 and a fixed 4x power NC Star scope,was that you ?

I would also agree w/ 6.5x55 for both hunting and target. Ammo is fairly easy to find. Excellent round w/ great ballistics and game penetration. The CZ would be a great choice.

Thanks, I'm not a hunter but I couldn't tell if this was just a joke or not. I could use a big rock, they come right up to my property line and eat the plants. There are just too many deer in MA if they are doing this in two's and threes where I live. They look very healthy as well.

How come you can't hunt deer in MA with a rifle ?

Just to clear one thing up. Ballistics with similar bullet weights between the .308 and .30-06 are very similar.
The draw of the '06 for hunting is the versatility. They both shoot the exact same .308 diameter bullet. The case length is different; .308 = 2.015" and 30-06 = 2.494". That extra case length lets you load up to a 220 grain bullet. You can use loads all the way down to 55gr and up to 220. the .308 can't.
The .308 is a fantastic round and has all the tactical mystique that goes along with it. But plenty of people shoot 165/168 and 190gr sierras out of an '06 for target.
Their are a ton of great deer calibers that'll keep you on target out to 300m very accurately. The key to keep in mind is the availability and cost of ammo.
As for recoil; the .243 would serve you well if you are concerned about the kick but many manufacturers make reduced recoil loads that still perform well if you find your shoulder hanging off after twenty rounds.

Thanks, I'm not a hunter but I couldn't tell if this was just a joke or not. I could use a big rock, they come right up to my property line and eat the plants. There are just too many deer in MA if they are doing this in two's and threes where I live. They look very healthy as well.

Would you mind too terribly if I hung around your back yard with my bow for a couple days [wink]

I hunt with a Ruger 77 MkII in .270 and have used it for both Deer and Moose, I hunt with a 150grain round, it shoots pretty flat, I've had it shooting at 300 yards at NFGA and my grouping was about 7" (not amazing but on the black). My dad has used a .270 win for a little over 20 years he has a Winchester model 70 featherweight, the trigger on his is amazing and it's extremely accurate. I'm a bit suprised more people don't recommend the model 70 actually. He's also taken 2 Moose with his .270 one was a 953lb Moose at 368 yards.

Also know as 30-06:) Or at least that is the way I think of them.

Indeed. Why get a long action in .308 when it will fit in short-action receivers (at least Savage makes the .308 in a short action)?

If you want the length, get it in .30-'06 for a greater range of bullets.

Indeed. Why get a long action in .308 when it will fit in short-action receivers (at least Savage makes the .308 in a short action)?

If you want the length, get it in .30-'06 for a greater range of bullets.

There is no reason unless the extra 1/4 pound won't bother you and you want to shoot the heavy's.

Back
Top Bottom