Rifle Case for airline checked luggage

YES! The younger you are, the longer you will own it. Wheeled cases only sir!

I hate keys. you can get separated from your keys. High quality combo's only for me.

If you're talking about thumb wheel combination locks, check out Lock Picking Lawyer on You Tube. So far, a thumbwheel combination padlock that could not be decoded in seconds has not been encountered.

I have Pelican, Boyt and Plano hard cases.

I have no doubt that the Plano double case would suffice for air travel.

And while it's nice, it's definitely a lower quality than my Pelican or Boyt cases.
My favorite case is the Boyt. And the one I always grab first.

+1 for boyt. Buy at cabelas on sale and many shapes/sizes to choose from.

Whatever you use be sure to have a TSA compliant lock for EACH hole that is capable of accepting one. Four holes equals four locks. The TSA is enforcing this. I have flown with rifles and shotguns a lot including 3 times in the past 12 months and seen this enforced more lately. I would also suggest a high quality case, the oversized luggage seems to take more than its share of rough handling.

Leave yourself a little extra time I have run into problems with the airlines and TSA not quite knowing how to handle checked firearms recently.

I don’t know if it helps but I put a bunch of fishing stickers on my gun cases. I had a Uber driver ask me what was in the big case and I said a guns and then we both laughed like that was absurd.

Then the TSA is violating the law.

You are not supposed to use TSA locks on a gun case.

Another Pelican owner here great heavy duty cases for protecting anything valuable or delicate and as others have said down side is they are heavy. One rifle case combo combined weight is 30 lbs.

Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

Source: Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

I use a Pelican 1750 for two rifles along with 4 locks that are keyed the same. No one else should have the key under any circumstances, even if TSA asks you for it. TSA will bring you aside and ask you to open it again for re-inspection if they see something they don’t like. I usually declare at the agent counter, sign and lock everything up and all is good. Cases used to come up with the regular checked baggage, things have changed now and they are held my the airline in a special pick up location after verifying your ID and baggage claim number. Always use all the locks on the case. I’ve picked up my cases before and had one or two latches come undone. Lucky the locks are tight so it wasn’t a problem.

Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

Source: Transporting Firearms and Ammunition
Do you really think those goons care about the law? They think that THEY are the law and anything that they say is the law!!

Do you really think those goons care about the law? They think that THEY are the law and anything that they say is the law!!

I fly over a 100k miles per year for work. I have had many, many arguments with TSA goons who think they can make up their own laws. I have no problem calling them out on their BS and telling them to bring over a supervisor to set them straight...

Pelican all day. Get a set of three/four keyed padlocks (not tsa) and then bring a second pair just incase they cut the first. It happens.

Pelican case and your own lock and keys. Do not hand over key to TSA. You are the only one to have access to the weapon/s. Never give a to anyone, never.

Back
Top Bottom