Rifle advice

Search the forum. Or search other forums. There are literally thousands of threads like this out there. Or go stop by a reputable shop like Four Seasons and see what they have available.

Also, it's not an assault rifle.

My advice, stop calling them assault rifles.

x2000........"AR" does not stand for assault rifle.......it stands for "armalite" the company that designed the platform.

- - - Updated - - -

so what would it? lol

The force is NOT stong with this one apparently. The term "assault rifle" is a made up class of rifles by the anti gun grabbing pussies of this nation. The more you use that term the more you feed the beast. You are looking for an "AR platform", "semi automatic rifle chambered in 5.56".

Learn young padawan........learn.

Last edited:
Assault Rifles are regulated by the NFA. They require a $200 tax stamp, approval from the ATF, and a MG license from MA, $100. You only have $500 left.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but a 70's era registered M-16 starts at around $13k? Probably over budget.

I suggest a nice modern sporting rifle. You can purchase one new for around $800. My prefered brand is Windham Weaponry. Probably a little high for your budget, but a nice rifle.

x2000........"AR" does not stand for assault rifle.......it stands for "armalite" the company that designed the platform.

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware of that... colt bought the design from them and produced it for the military. I beleive armalite was having some trouble at the time or something. Armalite also produced the AR-10.

I had the opportunity to have an M16A4 attached to my rack and clean it while on PI but that's as far as I got.

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware of that... colt bought the design from them and produced it for the military. I beleive armalite was having some trouble at the time or something. Armalite also produced the AR-10.

I had the opportunity to have an M16A4 attached to my rack and clean it while on PI but that's as far as I got.

What the heck are you trying to say? If you are trying to prove you are knowledgeable and possible a veteran than you should know better......even the military does not use the term "assault rifle".

Assault rifle advice

People make mistakes... I don't think myself as a vet like others that actually served. I got injured 2 weeks into training and sat in a rack for 2 months. I'm no vet but I do know my way around that platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
People make mistakes...

Don't sweat it.

$800 can get you a nice AR15, or an AK, a few mags, and a case of ammo. The AK will likely be cheaper to shoot and train with assuming you want something more then a conversation piece. The AR in 556 would be a more reasonable choice for home defense when you take ballistics into account.

Assault Rifles are regulated by the NFA. They require a $200 tax stamp, approval from the ATF, and a MG license from MA, $100. You only have $500 left.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but a 70's era registered M-16 starts at around $13k? Probably over budget.

I suggest a nice modern sporting rifle. You can purchase one new for around $800. My prefered brand is Windham Weaponry. Probably a little high for your budget, but a nice rifle.

An ar15 type rifle would be preferred. I don't need an M16 as much as the ergonomics of one. Do AK's run cheaper?

People make mistakes... I don't think myself as a vet like others that actually served. I got injured 2 weeks into training and sat in a rack for 2 months. I'm no vet but I do know my way around that platform.

Great. Still suggest you go green......it pays dividends. What has you sold on an AR platform? There are other platforms out there that fire 5.56.......i'm a 20 year army guy.....plenty of time behind an M16, M4..........they really are not all that "awesome" in my opinion. But......they are so common and parts availability is amazingly plentiful so that is the only plus in my book. Shoot some AKs and 5.56 stuff from sig before you decide is my recommendation.

Assault rifle advice

Don't sweat it.

$800 can get you a nice AR15, or an AK, a few mags, and a case of ammo. The AK will likely be cheaper to shoot and train with assuming you want something more then a conversation piece. The AR in 556 would be a more reasonable choice for home defense when you take ballistics into account.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks for the tip and your service.

Great. Still suggest you go green......it pays dividends. What has you sold on an AR platform? There are other platforms out there that fire 5.56.......i'm a 20 year army guy.....plenty of time behind an M16, M4..........they really are not all that "awesome" in my opinion. But......they are so common and parts availability is amazingly plentiful so that is the only plus in my book. Shoot some AKs and 5.56 stuff from sig before you decide is my recommendation.

The amounts of parts and upgrades. If I could afford one from JJFU I would...

- - - Updated - - -

The force is NOT stong with this one apparently. The term "assault rifle" is a made up class of rifles by the anti gun grabbing pussies of this nation. The more you use that term the more you feed the beast. You are looking for an "AR platform", "semi automatic rifle chambered in 5.56".

Learn young padawan........learn.

and try to remember to NOT stare directly into whacko's avatar. Returning back to reality is very difficult...

An ar15 type rifle would be preferred. I don't need an M16 as much as the ergonomics of one. Do AK's run cheaper?

Ok, I'll write slowly.

AR-15's, especially those sold in MA are not assault rifles. Even under the strictest definiton, read, CA or NY, they would be considered Assault Weapons. But since MA compliant AR's have only one of the five cosmetic features defining an AW in MA, they are not even considered assault weapons.

Now, Assault Rifles are those that can fire fully automatic. An M-16 is an assault rifle. You can't have one. Especially not for $800.

AK will be cheaper to run, as Ed mentioned above. Ammo is cheaper. I have both, and I prefer the AR. The AK is lot's of fun though.

Back
Top Bottom