RIA 1911 opinions

Looking into purchasing a Rock island armory 1911 and was curious as to personal experiences with them, if they are a good gun to start with and build up. It will be my very first 1911!

Dom

If I was going to start a project 1911 I'd go for something like this, which someone already snatched up.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/168572-Colt-1911-Series-70?highlight=colt

I would be much more willing to fiddle with an RIA than I would an original Colt series 70, but that's just me.

I have a nickel-plated RIA 1911 (yes, it's a wicked shiny pimp gun.) and it has functioned just fine through about 400something rounds. Pretty accurate for a bone-stock milspec 1911.

I have a Citadel Officers model (see avatar) and love it. Gotta say, for the money, it's a nice gun. Had to get through the first couple hundred rounds before I felt it was functioning clean. But since then the things been very reliable.

The parkerized finish on it is fairly weak but if you are not looking for a show off gun they are great.
I can carry mine and not worry about dings and wear too much. I think if I had a more expensive gun I'd probably feel differently.

The RIA guns are "series 70". They have no firing pin safety. Although you wouldn't really call it a series 70 because the RIA's have a solid barrel bushing, where the 70 guns had (or most of them at least) collet bushings.

ETA: I thought this was my RIA with my pimp hat from a few Halloweens ago. This is actually my Colt series 80 custom shop, but the RIA looks very similar. Bright-ass, pimp-ass, gangsta mirror finish. (NICKEL PLATED SISSY PISTOL)

Photo012.jpg

Last edited:
The best part of this is not that you own a blinged out pimp-assed 1911.

It's that you have TWO of them. What you need now is one of those double shoulder holsters, so you can carry one under each arm.

While wearing that hat of course.

especially when you are a P.layer I.n M.anagement P.osition! love the gun btw, very pretty

dont forget the suede shoes and pinstriped trousers and purple velvet smoking jacket to really kick it off!

the RIA 1911 is good, I have an officers model, I've put about 500 or so rounds through it at this time, mostly hard ball, but it has fed a couple mags of Hornady Critical defense with no issues, for the price I think it's a great starter 1911.

They are nice guns but for around the same price you get a nice American made, highly customizable 1911 JMO

The first 1911 I saw in action was a RIA. It would lock the slide back almost every time the trigger was pulled... Honestly, I think that was the person shooting creating the issue. His thumb must have been pressing up on the slide lock 24/7.

The first person who took me shooting has about 8 1911's. All sorts of em. Guess what his carry piece is? RIA officers model.

love my RIA, almost 3000 rounds through it at this point.
started as a GI 1911A1, now it has 3 dot sights, high rise beavertail, forward cocking serrations, new hammer & hammer strut, extended safety. ( all Ed Brown parts, except the beavertail which is from Fusion )
soon to be bobtailed i think

I have a full size tactical. I sold my first one and realized it was a mistake. I paid 425 brand new. If i was paying higher like 5 or 600. Id buy an american made gun like ruger or rem just becAuse the finish is better

They arent fancy but run good. My first one was rock solid reliable. This ones had a few blips but thats with reloads.

I bought a RIA 1911FS I love it,I wasn't a big fan of 1911 till there was a thread on here about them,I picked up mine for 380 on sale,no mods on it buy I have put about 700 rounds through it without an issue.

Count me as another satisfied RIA Compact customer. I have at least 500 rds through mine, not a single failure and it's more accurate than I am. IMHO, there is *nothing* that beats it for the price ... tough enough to find a quality gun you'd trust to carry for $400, much less a 1911!!

You may want to broaden your search.

RIA pistols are made by Armscor. They are marked in the us under the names

RIA
Armscor
Citadel

Everyone I've known who had one loved it. I'd say that if you want to practice home gunsmithng on something, its a good platform to start on.

However, remember that no matter how much you tart it up, its still a RIA and will be valued accordingly.
So if you go nuts, just realize that you probably won't get your money out of it.

Back
Top Bottom