RI residents bringing into MA for Range

Ok. Most RI'ers can not get a LTC, therefore can not get a Mass Non-Res LTC. They have a "blue card" which is similar to our Class-B License. You can buy and own, but can not carry (Withouth the capacity stipulation).

1) Can a RI resident bring (not conceal, locked, ammo seperate) a firearm into MA to go to a range? (himself, not with a Mass LTC holder)

2) Are non-residents held to the Mass AWB?

I ask because a friend from RI has a G22. He wants to go shooting with me at my range in Ma. He has New Full cap Mags...

I can legaly go into RI with my firearms "properly stored" (Not concealed).
I could go and pick him and his guns up. I just dont know if the mag capacity would be a problem...

RI Residents CAN get a MA NR LTC. Pricey, takes forever but definitely doable.

NO-ONE without a MA LTC can bring handguns into MA unless FOPA (traveling thru, no unnecessary stops-shooting at the range isn't a necessary stop under MGL, legal at both ends, etc.) OR attending a gun show/competition (better have written proof that it is a competition).

MA AWB applies to ANYONE in MA with guns, Resident or NR shooting at a competition! Only FOPA (travel thru) allows "No Ban" guns/mags to transit MA legally.

Mag capacity is NOT the issue, proper LTC-A or gun show/competition allows ANYONE to possess hi-caps . . . BUT they better not have been mfd after 9/13/94 or it is a 10-year Felony/mag!

LenS said:
RI Residents CAN get a MA NR LTC. Pricey, takes forever but definitely doable.

NO-ONE without a MA LTC can bring handguns into MA unless FOPA (traveling thru, no unnecessary stops-shooting at the range isn't a necessary stop under MGL, legal at both ends, etc.) OR attending a gun show/competition (better have written proof that it is a competition).

MA AWB applies to ANYONE in MA with guns, Resident or NR shooting at a competition! Only FOPA (travel thru) allows "No Ban" guns/mags to transit MA legally.

Mag capacity is NOT the issue, proper LTC-A or gun show/competition allows ANYONE to possess hi-caps . . . BUT they better not have been mfd after 9/13/94 or it is a 10-year Felony/mag!
Regarding the capacity, I figured most would realize i was speaking of "banned" capacity mags.

Banned is banned!

I try to clarify as others will read this thread months from now and otherwise misinterpret that the laws are.

We need to keep in mind that we aren't writing just for ourselves or the person who asks the question but trying to anticipate what others may ask/think as well . . . at least that is the lens I use in replying to questions.

Raising the dead here...

Me and some friends are planning a meet at a range in NH.Some friends will be coming from NY.

My question is this.Is it legal for them to bring weapons (Post ban/hanguns) through MA to travel to NH for our meet ?

I have read the post,but I just need clarification.If anyone has a link to the actual law it would be great as well.

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, Fed. law states that you can travel thru states, with the gun(s) locked and secured in the trunk (or whatever), if you have a starting resident license and and ending (i.e. where you're going) non-resident license. (Or did I screw this one up too Len? [wink] ) You cannot stop for long periods of time in any state in which you are not covered by said license.

INAL and don't play one on TV, but, if your buds are bound and determined to travel from NY to NH with said firearms, OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS, and make sure the car is in excellent working order (no smashed tail lights, etc) to avoid have "the light" shine on them.

Lynne, you have it almost correct. [wink]

They just need to "be legal" in both beginning and ending states (e.g. NY and NH). [They don't have to possess permits in both states. Very few states require permits to possess/transport firearms. Most only require permits for CCW. MA is "unusual" but you already know that!]

Law is Fed Law FOPA-1986. Start here on the NRA-ILA webpage and you should be able to find a cite.
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

My recommendation would be (IF they are coming from upstate NY) to go from NY into VT (no permits) to NH (permits only for CCW) and avoid MA altogether.

LenS wrote:
"Mag capacity is NOT the issue, proper LTC-A or gun show/competition allows ANYONE to possess hi-caps . . . BUT they better not have been mfd after 9/13/94 or it is a 10-year Felony/mag!"

That raises a question. In 1999 I bought a new Taurus 92 from a local gunshop, high capacity with 15-round magazines, registered on the FA-10 as high capacity.
??
JT

The key is not the gun, no problem with ANY gun if LTC-A.

Key IS the date of mfr of the mags. If pre-9/13/94, they are OK. If made later than that date (not always easy to tell), they are illegal to possess in MA. MANY MA FFLs sold banned mags in MA to anyone with $, and they still are doing so. Caveat emptor!

Penalty for guessing wrong are up to 10 yrs per mag IIRC! [In the "pecking order" of crime, this is more serious than rape, child rape, or murder. [roll] ]

All of you are partially right. There is one case where a handgun, with legal mags can be brought into MASS. The case is for a competition. If anyone needs the details, please contact me directly, not through the forum

Back
Top Bottom