RI Officials to Announce Gun Control Bills - Post #10 Update

Do you think these bills will lessen gun violence in Rhode Island? (113 votes)

Yes: 10% (11)

No: 90% (102)

Not sure: 0% (0)

Vote successfully recorded. Thank you

Furthermore, a ban on possession would be unconstitutional and thus violates my 5th amendment right of the state taking property of mine without compensation. Know the state of RI and how broke it is, I fail to understand how they would fund this en devour.
They will just enact a "confiscation tax" -er, I mean an "excise tax," for all weapons not voluntarily surrendered by 1/1/2014. That tax will be $2,000. Then they will pay you $1,500 for your gun.

make them aware of the millions of tx dollars it is going to take to maintain these stupid new laws,

conn. is already wondering how they are going to pay for the mess they created.

Unfortunately they're not. They'll just raise taxes or issue a new tax to pay for it. They'll justify it by saying it's literally for the children after Newtown and dumb ass liberals will buy in and view that as justification.

The new strategy that seems to be emerging is delayed confiscation - allowing non-transferable grandfathering, so there is no mass of people who simultaneously have standing to challenge the taking.

* Bans on high-capacity magazines and semiautomatic assault weapons after July 1. Exempted are antique firearms, inoperable weapons, rifles or shotguns unable to hold high-capacity magazines, and firearms manufactured before July 1, 1963. Current owners are grandfathered in, although they may sell such weapons only to buyers outside Rhode Island or to someone authorized to possess them.

I just thought of something. Everyone is authorized to posses one according to the United States Constitution.

The new strategy that seems to be emerging is delayed confiscation - allowing non-transferable grandfathering, so there is no mass of people who simultaneously have standing to challenge the taking.

What if you had an Irrevocable Firearms Trust setup prior to your death? You technically do not own the property as that is apart of the trust at that point, so technically the trust owns the property. Hence, as long as you have the documentation setup prior to the Unconstitutional Law being implemented, how can they stop inheritance through the trust?

(I am not going along with the laws: I am just trying to see if there are any holes that can be exploited for the future generation to use as ammunition)

What if you had an Irrevocable Firearms Trust setup prior to your death? You technically do not own the property as that is apart of the trust at that point, so technically the trust owns the property. Hence, as long as you have the documentation setup prior to the Unconstitutional Law being implemented, how can they stop inheritance through the trust?

(I am not going along with the laws: I am just trying to see if there are any holes that can be exploited for the future generation to use as ammunition)
Not sure something entity like a trust can own firearms, no? - ianal.

I thought of moving to Texas but if I run from the fight they will go for this on a national level. Staying right here in Assachusetts.

Not sure something entity like a trust can own firearms, no? - ianal.

A New Breed of Gun Trusts: Protecting Firearms Collectors and their Collections Part 2

Imagine a Trust where you get to buy and sell your firearms, manage them, choose and change who can use them, that has no adverse income tax or estate tax problems, and protects the assets (your firearms) from those who may become your creditors in the future. This includes liability from professional negligence, car accidents, lawsuits, investor suits, bankruptcy, and can even be structured to protect from loss due to a divorce or the need for government health care assistance like an organ transplant or nursing home coverage. Now imagine being able to protect your families’ firearms for hundreds of years. That’s right; by choosing the jurisdiction of the trust properly, you can protect the firearms and keep the firearms from requiring a transfer (including additional tax stamps) for generation after generation.

Why do People use Irrevocable Gun Trusts?

The Advantages of an Irrevocable Family Firearm Protection Trust Include:

Protecting Firearms from Creditors and Lawsuits
Protecting Firearms from potential bans on the transfers of certain firearms
Protecting Second Amendment Rights for future generations
Avoiding Probate and passing down firearms in private with no court involvement
Prohibiting beneficiaries who cannot or should not own firearms from breaking the law

I will be consulting a lawyer tomorrow....

Yea, and I am moving to RI...going the wrong way. [sad2]
So, from what has been stated (no posting of the proposed laws yet) sounds like they want this wrapped up prior to July 1.

If so, what has your experience been with the AG in issuing a LTC (regardless if you actually have a legitimate reason or not)? I am basically preparing for the worst since it appears I may not make it in time to file my application to the local CLEO before they pass this $hit...

He is a total DICK! If they issue and that's a big if it will be work restricted. That's all they are issuing. And plan on waiting the 90 days.

RI is notorious for not issuing any kind of carry permit unless you can prove it is work related, and then they typically restrict you to work only activity.

Oh, Jesus Christ:

LTC Application for the AG

While there cannot be any set formula or criteria to limit or restrict the Attorney General’s discretion to
issue or deny a pistol permit, the Attorney General considers the following factors in assessing an applicant’s
proper showing of need.

1. Has the applicant demonstrated a specific articulable risk to life, limb or property? If so, has the
applicant demonstrated how a pistol permit will decrease the risk?

2. Can the applicant readily alter his or her conduct, or undertake reasonable measures other than carrying a
loaded firearm, to decrease the danger to life, limb or property?

3. Are there means of protection available to the applicant other than the possession of a loaded firearm
that will alleviate the risk to his or her person or property?

4. Has the applicant demonstrated the skill, training and ability to properly use a firearm in accordance with
Rhode Island laws?

5. Has the applicant presented a plan to properly secure the firearm so that it does not fall into unauthorized
hands?

6. How greatly will the possession of a loaded firearm by the applicant increase the risk of harm to the
applicant or to the public?

7. Has the applicant demonstrated that he or she will not use the firearm for an unlawful or
improper purpose, and that he or she has not used a firearm for an unlawful or improper purpose in the past?

8. Does past unlawful, dangerous or violent conduct of the applicant justify denial at the Attorney
General’s discretion even if it is not sufficient to disqualify the applicant as a matter of law from
possessing a firearm?

9. Has the applicant been issued a protective order pursuant to chapter 15-5, chapter 15-15, or chapter 8-8.1
of the general laws?

10.Any and all other factors deemed lawful and appropriate by the Attorney General to demonstrate that the
applicant is or is not a person suitable to possess a loaded firearm in public.

4. Three (3) References AND reference letters are required for new AND renewal applications and
are to be submitted along with the application. All three references are to write a typed letter for the applicant
pertaining to the gun permit that is signed, dated AND must be notarized.

Great: So you have to have your friends go out of the way every 4 years to a Notary Republic for a reference letter...

Last edited:
Just read the gun bill. It's a standard AWB like MA. Only real difference is no transfers. It bans mags over 10rds after July 1. Just keep buying mags out of state since none of them are date stamped.

Last edited:
Wow, I just read that pile of crap and the language is so vague. This is going to the Supreme Court for sure. I fail to understand how this legislation is going to do anything other than punish law abiding citizens and make criminals out of them.

Back
Top Bottom