RI man got weapons on plane at Logan

Besides not informing the airlines of the guns in the checked luggage, the article did not say what laws were being broken. Are there US export laws being broken there, or import laws in Syria (e.g., "no weapons shall be imported into Syria, unless for the express purpose of arming Islamic jihadists to kill Jews and Americans")

the guy "didnt know..."

that is no excuse. If that "excuse" of his works, this place will have sunk to an all new low.

I have had "friends" in customs on both sides of the pond, and there may have been times when the nice folk on the other side of the pond overlooked something like american cigarettes but weapons... no way.

My Grandmother, God rest her soul had a turkey confiscated from her at Shannon Airport once while going to Kerry for Thanksgiving. Was she PO'd.

How did he clear customs on the other end?

They don't care??? You have a civil war with everyone running around with AKs, and he had some american pistols. Who would have cared on the other end. This is one big who cares. The moonbats want guns gone (can't say Lebanon is not gone...) and we never care about what is heading out of our country, so I bet the "news" here is he had 11 of them, and not 2.

no declaration of them, possibly breaking import/export laws, etc etc. i would say its not quite "big whoop" but also isnt quite "the sky is falling!"

There is no question that he broke US laws. However, the implication of the press coverage is that this demonstrated a major security problem for air travel.

While there may well be security flaws in baggage screening, it is my opinion that disassembled weapons in checked baggage are not a security risk.

I have travelled many times to Dubai and Kenya and its easy on the other end to get through customs. All it takes is $50 or a $100 in Kenya and you wont even be looked at. Dubai that does not work, but its a random process there, you claim your bags and walk out the door and they just pick you out for your bags to be xrayed. You take a chance, but as "parts" they would go right on through.

I can see how this guy had a lucrative buisness going.
He slipped up only on the failure to declare the checked guns. Otherwise he was being a good american capitalizing on a buiness opportunity.

If anyone is into skeet or trap, be sure to take your gun with you if you ever go to Dubai and check out the Dubai Shooting Club. You just need to fill out a form and file it with the athorities in Dubai when you travel.

Back
Top Bottom