RH/LE dominance and long guns

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to NES and new to firearms; in fact, I'm still waiting for my interview. Being new to firearms I have some questions I'm hoping people can answer for me.

I am right-handed, but I'm left eye dominant. I have a congenital vision problem with my right eye and thus primarily use my left eye for all of my vision. It occurred to me today while I was checking out my brother's new shotgun that I don't think I'm going to be able to shoot long guns right handed because of my vision problems in my right eye.

I was curious if anyone else has a similar issue and if they shoot rifles/shotguns left-handed even though they are right-handed? Or is there some other solution I'm not seeing (pun intended).

Also, and this speaks to my inexperience with firearms, but are rifles/shotguns designed for a particular hand dominance, or are they ambidextrous? I'm guessing it might depend on the firearm, but I haven't spent enough time around them to know (yet).

I am also right handed/left eye dominant. For pistols it's not an issue and i've found rifle are fine if they have iron sights (close left eye) or if they have red-dot sights. Only time i've had an issue is with an ACOG which is designed to be used with both eyes open. It was fine if I closed my left eye but my POI was off with both open. I learned around it but if you have issues with your right eye i'd recommend learning to shoot rifle lefty. I know others who have the same problems as me and that was their solution (pistols righty, long guns lefty).

Oddly enough though when I use my PVS-14 helmet mounted it has to be over my dominant eye which isn't recommended. Over my non-dominant eye I just trip over stuff. Guess i'm a little screwed up in the head :)

Best of luck!

Pistols, I shoot with my right hand but with my left eye.

Long arms, I shoot with left hand and left eye. I actually prefer bolt action rifles with the bolt on the right. I can keep a good grip with my left hand and cycle the bolt with my right. I do have a Benelli SBE2 that is a lefty and wish I had gotten the right because I find that I prefer using my right hand to cycle the action. Same goes with ARs, on my ARs I'm using an ambi charging handle, ambi safety and a Norgon Mag release.

Optics, I'm using EoTechs because I find the battery compartment on most Aimpoints to be distracting and they block my FOV with my right eye with both eyes open.

The difference in dominance is not huge, but I score just a little better when using my left. I find it difficult to shoot pistols with my left hand, but have no problems with a rifle using my left or right. I can't shoot a shotgun using my right eye though...

I am in the same boat. Rh, but re nerve is weaker than ricepaper. Pistol is easy and I csn shoot all day. Iron sight rifle, I get tired in a few minutes using right eye. I usually shoot a rifle left handed and am pretty good, but I put thousands of rounds through a 10/22 to get that comfortable.

Try both, learn both.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I know a couple people who are right-handed and left eye dominant. For both of them, shooting left handed with long guns worked better for them.

Most long guns (and handguns) are generally set up for a right-handed shooter, but often a lefty can still use them. Some manufacturers make ambidextrous or left-hand specific models (Stag Arms comes to mind, they make lefty ARs).

My son, a new shooter couldn't hit the broad side of the bar last year, I had him switch to LH shooting and he started nailing bullseye reliably. I think it proves that it's the natural thing to do because he had no bad habits to overcome. I know there are people successfully train their non-dominant eye by using eye patch etc, but more success seems to come out of switching hands.

Being RH but left eye dominant, I feel your pain, the market for lefty stuff is "thin" to say the least.

I am endeavoring after purchasing a Colt LE6920 to teach/force myself to shoot righthanded. At 47 yrs old and a life long left hand rifle shooter, I expect this is NOT going to be easy. MY hope is adding a decent optic, will "help' If not, I', going to have an expensive bookend and I"ll be back in the market for a Stag

I'm cross dominant, but I had been shooting in the military long before I knew it. I had long though I just wasnt that great a shot and worked to the point where I feel like the optical equivalent of a lefty who went to Catholic perochial school in the 1950's. I'm to the point where I can consciously shift my focus eye when aiming wih both eyes open, though just closing my left eye is much easier. Again, it's still not easy and it took a lot of practice, but it's certainly possible.

Frankly, I can't even imagine shooting long guns lefty. However given that you have additional vision issues besides just being cross dominant, I'd recommend saving yourself a lot of headache and learning to shoot lefty from the get go.

Last edited:
Since I teach people on the Trap range, I occasionally try to shoot lefty (Natural righty, right-eye dominant)

I have a lot of trouble letting my "wrong" eye take over, more than the wrong hand.

Try it lefty, see how it works for you.

Before you buy, try others' guns, to see what will work best for you.

since you haven't really learned how to shoot righty, my advice would be to shoot lefty only. You will shoot better, and will only know one way to shoot, which will make things easier for you. Don't try to switch back and forth all the time. they do make some lefty guns, but they are harder to come by. Certain non lefty guns are more suited for leftys, like in shotguns an over under or a bottom eject pump. you just have to make sure the stock isn't cast in a way that would make it uncomfortable to shoot.

I find that using my left eye (dominate eye) with pistol works fine, I try to keep both eyes open as much as possible. Luckily I shoot rifles lefty so that's not really an issue. But when I started I found that a red dot optic was the best way to shoot accurate with my weak eye before I learned I was more comfortable shooting a rifle lefty.

I'm cross dominant, but I had been shooting in the military long before I knew it. I had long though I just wasnt that great a shot and worked to the point where I feel like the optical equivalent of a lefty who went to Catholic perochial school in the 1950's. I'm to the point where I can consciously shift my focus eye when aiming wih both eyes open, though just closing my left eye is much easier. Again, it's still not easy and it took a lot of practice, but it's certainly possible.

Frankly, I can't even imagine shooting long guns lefty. However given that you have additional vision issues besides just being cross dominant, I'd recommend saving yourself a lot of headache and learning to shoot lefty from the get go.

Same with me but the other way around.

If you are new, make you hand preference match your dominant eye, just shoot lefty.

Oh and before you ask, there is no need to have a lefty AR, you will be able to shoot the standard model just fine.

Back
Top Bottom