Revolver recomendations

What about revolvers in .45 ACP? You have to deal with full-moon clips, but I think full-power .45 is probably cheaper than .357 or .44 magnum, no?

I really like single action revolvers and have two Ruger Blackhawks (one 357 and one 45/colt), Single Six, and Heritage Rough Rider .22/.22mag.

For double action I have Charter Arms Bull Dog 357 I really like even though it is older and quite used, a High Standard 9 shot .22 and a S&W 637 airweight. Airweight is actually a decent carry gun but I don't enjoy it as a range gun.

My vote is for Ruger GP100 - great and reliable revolver capable of handling any .357 Mag round you can throw at it without much recoil, and allowing mild .38 Special for saving money and hand.

.45 acp is a great round and in a revolver you can also shoot .45 auto rim. This lets you avoid the moon clips and 1 of the ammo makers is making a self defense load. I think it's Cor Bon.

6" Colt Python is the perfect first revolver.

An expensive first revolver but excellent nonetheless. The Trooper Mk III or MK V have essentially the same guts without the full lower lug, and seem to shoot as well at a lower price. Ruger Security 6, with a little trigger/hammer stoning, will shoot as well as the Colts. These are all based on a very similar frame size, much like the S&W 19, 66, 686 et al. The main advantage with the Ruger is you get a one piece frame and side plates which makes for a more rugged revolver frame for the same size package.

Back
Top Bottom