Revolver recomendations

mbz4ever

Dealer
NES Member
I'm new to revolvers world. Strange, but its a fact i dont have any revolvers in my collection.
and need some advice.
last friday i had a chance to shoot S&W 686 .357 and S&W 629.
O man-O man, those are so much fun to shoot - im in love.[smile]
I S&W makes best revolvers but too many models...
I was thinking to get on of each .357, .44 magnum and 500 magnum.
are there some models that not legal in MA or I can get any S&W revolver here in MA?
I'm interested in S&W 327 M&P .357 magnum performance center - is performance center revolvers are worth the $$$ vs regular models?
also looking @ Model 29 Classic .44 Magnum - always liked that gun.
and finally S&W 500 Extreme Backpacker limited.

Bought my first wheel gun not long ago. Model 13 in .357. The thing that impressed me the most was the accuracy. I wonder why it took me so long to get one.

I like my Ruger SP-101 .357 2-1/4" spurless.. I added the Crimson Trace Lasergrips. Wonderful combination.

If you're starting out, go for the classic, tried and true models.

Those two that you already fired are most definitely highly recommended as your first revolver. A 4" 686 and a 4" 629 make a superb battery that would serve any handgunner very well.

In fact, if those two were the only handguns you ever got, consider yourself extremely well armed for competition, hunting, and self defense. And yes, you can easily conceal a 4" 686. A 629 takes a little more thought, but it is very doable.

Add a longer barrel Model 500 and enjoy.

Smith is my prefered brand, Ruger are also very nice. If your not going to carry the gun I would recomend the 6" barrel. I'm almost sure the that you can get the same accuracy with an off the shelf 686 with a $80 trigger job than you can get with the Performance Center guns. Just my 2-cents.

I love N frames but I have to vote for 4" 686 here. I have had lots of wheel gun come and go and the 4" 686 is the one I should have bought first.

I am a revo nut and own quite a few. My favorites so far are a Colt Python (357 6"), a S&W 625 (45 ACP 4"), and a S&W 617 (22 LR 4").
Pythons are incredible but expensive - probably a little more and a performance center gun, but can be hard to find (all used).
FYIW my next gun will be the S&W 627 (8 shot 357) performance center. After that will be a S&W 29 classic with a 6" barrel.

I own multiple Rugers as well. Colt and S&W stand alone at the top (major manufactures) almost any model you choose you should be happy with. If you have large hands the N frame guns from Smith are really nice.

Smith and Wesson Model 66 K frame with custom S&W grips.
Used to be my daily carry when I worked for the armored car service.
My favorite pistol.

SW66.jpg

I have j,k,l,n and x frame S&W revolvers. I also have Colt and Ruger single action revolvers. You didn't mention a .22 revolver. I have a 6 shot 6" model 17 a 10 shot 4" model 617 and a 6 shot 2" kit gun. I'd recommend a .22 for fun and cheap practice.

As a huge fan of revolvers I can say S&W double actions and Ruger single actions are my favorites. I'd avoid the 500 Magnum and opt for the 460 XVR in the x-frame. The 500 only shoots the one proprietary round. The 460 can shoot 45 Schofield, 45 Colt, 454 Casull or 460 XVR. Much more versatile.

Sounds like a field trip to S&W's store is in order. I went years ago and was able to test drive an SW1911. Give them a call and see if you can try out what whatever interests you. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=10503

FWIW- My first CF was a Ruger GP-100 with a 4" barrel. The S&W may be prettier, and may have a nicer trigger out of the box.. but the GP is built like a tank.. and its less expensive. It's also a very accurate shooter. After several hundred rounds the trigger seems much smoother..Later got a Redhawk in .44 mag.. love that one too!

Last edited:
Stick with Smiths or Colts. Here's my current favorite. Lawman 2" .357 Nickel

DSCF0096-1.jpg

My X frame is a .500 and I reload for it. The only .460 I've shot is EC's 4". Who knows what insane load it was. I know that when he shot it it burned the hair on my arm but the recoil wasn't quite as heavy as the .500. You havn't lived until you've shot some of his 700 grain .500 loads. If you don't want to reload,I'd consider a .22, a medium or large frame .357 magnum or a .45acp. at least you can buy reloads for those two centerfires.

My first and still only revolver is a 627 Pro (8 shot .357, 4" barrel). So far, I like it a lot.

Another vote for the 686 if you are only going to have one revolver, but I'll always hold a soft spot for an old Ruger flattop 44 - just something about the single action.

The 686 and 629 are great revolvers. Along with firing magnums you can also fire 38 specials and 44 specials respectivlely. You may also want a 617 for inexpensive practice and plinking. Along with fireing .22 long rifles it also fires 22 longs and 22 shorts. I've all 3 in 4".

P1010291.jpg

If I were to get another, it would be the 460 in 4" but not the 500. As mentioned before, it will also fire 45 Long colt and the 454 cas.

Last edited:
I tried a few Rugers but the S&W 686 fit my hand the best. I have a 686 Plus which is the 7 round version, 4" barrel in stainless. Like any .357 magnum, you can practice with 38 special.

There is one for sale in the NES classifieds right now.

Last edited:
And yes, you can easily conceal a 4" 686. A 629 takes a little more thought, but it is very doable.

Jose,

What holster do you recommend for a 4" 686? I have one and have been thinking of working it into the carry rotation. I

...sorry to threadjack, continue.....

The 686 and 629 are great revolvers. Along with firing magnums you can also fire 38 specials and 44 specials respectivlely. You may also want a 617 for inexpensive practice and plinking. Along with fireing .22 long rifles it also fires 22 longs and 22 shorts. I've all 3 in 4".

P1010291.jpg

If I were to get another, it would be the 460 in 4" but not the 500. As mentioned before, it will also fire 45 Long colt and the 454 cas.

Off topic but I'm very interested in the cabinet pictured. Do you have a wider angle shot of this setup?

Back
Top Bottom