Revolver question

I've always been a semi-auto pistoleer but recently getting into revolvers. I recently picked up one that has features that I'm not familiar with.
What is a "forged hammer and trigger"? How is it better?
What is a "bossed mainspring"?
What is a "tuned action"? Is it the same as a factory "trigger job"?

hi bill.the forged hammer and trigger.means they are hammer forged more than likely and that makes the metal stronger and longer lasting.as far as the rest of your questions,i don't know.i can recomend most s&w revolver though.never had a problem with one yet.

There is no difference in quality and durability between a properly heat treated forged hammer and a properly sintered and heat treated hammer made from metal injection molding.

The Smith & Wesson kool aid drinkers will tell you the world came to an end when S&W stopped making their hammers and triggers from forgings and when the stopped pinning the barrels and recessing the chambers.

I've always been a semi-auto pistoleer but recently getting into revolvers. I recently picked up one that has features that I'm not familiar with.
What is a "forged hammer and trigger"? How is it better?
What is a "bossed mainspring"?
What is a "tuned action"? Is it the same as a factory "trigger job"?

a "forged hammer and trigger"?

Made by a forge rather than Metal Injection molding

How is it better?

In a S&W revolver it is better because of the type of sear used with the forged hammers. You can get a better sear to trigger fit. As for forged triggers, they also use different parts internally.

I do not really buy into the idea that forged are better just because they are forged. It is the other parts and how they allow fit that makes some better.

A "tuned action" and a trigger job are similar. Tuning an action requires time and knowledge to properly fit parts, stone them for better fit, adjust springs, and mate springs so different ones work together as they should. A trigger job is quick, cheap, and usually works for most if they really don't understand the feel of a finely tuned revolver action.

"Bossed Main Spring" is a new term to me. Please use it in the context you heard it.

hello once again bill,sorry if my previous info was off the mark.in my experiance i have been told that forged parts are more durable than cast.so i relayed what i knew.i recommened s&w because i have owned atleast a dozen of them and they are a reliable revolver.i am by no means a koolaid drinking s&w nut.personally i am a h&k nut,and i don't like koolaid[grin]

hello once again bill,sorry if my previous info was off the mark.

It was not off the mark. I have worked on these revolvers since 1981 and there are differences that I pointed out which make a forged hammer (they still make some) better.

I also HATE kool aide and posts that add nothing useful to the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom