Reviews of Ruger P85 (9mm)

dukefan70

NES Member
Found a barely to gently used pre-'98 Ruger P85 (9mm) for $300. Fits my wishes for an economical 9mm single/double action first handgun. Reviews and opinions from those with experience with this gun would be much appreciated.

great gun for what it is. not pretty, nothing special, pretty crude... but built like a tank, and will always go bang.

I have no personal experience with the gun but there are articles to be read out there, case in point:​

p85+ls.jpg

Ruger's P-Series: what's wrong with Ruger's P-Series semiauto pistols? Not a darn thing, says the author.

Guns Magazine, Jan, 2004 by Glenn Barnes

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_1_50/ai_110470559/

I had a P90 (the P85's big brother in .45ACP). Other than a pretty gritty trigger, there was NOTHING wrong with it. It was the ugliest gun I've ever seen, but it always went BANG. I only sold it because it was turning into a safe queen, and I wanted the money for something else... and I had two other .45s.

Carry it with confidence; it may not win any beauty contests but it won't fail you, either.

Great gun, I also have a P85. Is there a stamp on the left Decocker/ safety that says "MKII" ? If not I would call Ruger, There was a recall on those models and they will update it for free.

Good luck on your new tank!

I own the P90. dwarven1 got rid of his, but I've kept mine because it is sooooo reliable. Eats any .45 acp ammo without a hiccup and it's built like a hammer.

I'd go for another if I was in the market.

great gun for what it is. not pretty, nothing special, pretty crude... but built like a tank, and will always go bang.

I agree. I had one many years ago. I bought it for short money and sold it for even less. Heavy, Ugly, Awkward, Crude, Lousy Trigger, but never failed to go bang every time. IIRC, the accuaracy wasn't too bad either, but this will never be a collector piece.

I had a P85. Ran absolutely flawless. I sold it because of my short stubby fingers. Great gun if it fits your hand.

Stoneypete, where did you get your picture/animation? That's hilarious.

Mike-Mike: became aware of the recall after the question was posted and will check. Don't believe the gun is that old (from what I understand the recall was on the originals from 1987-1990) but thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Mike-Mike: became aware of the recall after the question was posted and will check. Don't believe the gun is that old (from what I understand the recall was on the originals from 1987-1990) but thanks for the heads up.
P89 ?? I've got a P89 and was unaware of any recalls. Mine was bought in the time period {87-90} that you mentioned that is why you've got me wondering.

Armed Maine, we were talking about the P85. I don't know if there were or were not any recalls on the P89.

P85 was the only one recalled.....

I had one, it was a good gun mechanically as others had said. Way too big for my hands though....

get a set of hogue grips for it, and you will be happier. also, upgrade the sights. Like someone else said, they are reasonably accurate, just not massively refined.

Same here.... I have a P89 in 9mm bought used for $300. It always goes boom, and pretty accurately too -- I can't tell that it is any less accurate than my M&P9.

Yep, it is ugly. And the take-down mechanism is bizarre; I had to look up on the Internet to figure out how to do it. And, it is tricky to do without accidentally scratching it.

Armed Maine, we were talking about the P85. I don't know if there were or were not any recalls on the P89.
I wasn't sure if Ruger changed what they called it after they made a few minor changes. The P85 shown in the picture looks exactly like my P89 but mine is a blued version. I haven't shot mine in about 8-9 years.

I'm not sure how similar they are, but I have a P95 and love it. With a Hogue slip on grip it fits my hand like a glove and with close to 1000 rounds through it has run flawlessly. Mine was $339 NIB with 2 15 rn mags. I added a laser sight and the Hogue and it resides in a secure place as my grab gun for home defense.

AFAIK->There was a initial production P85, IIRC it was adopted by a few big PDepts (IL comes to mind) and had a few problems. Then it was slightly* retooled by Ruger into the P85MKII that was the replacement firearm. I believe they retooled some internals and the slides. The P85 mags do not work* well in the P85MKII. Some do, some do not, most do not. All Ruger magazines work in every P series and the PC9mm carbine except the P85's. After the P85MKII Ruger put out the P89 that was a larger .gov contract and based on the P85MKII. I've had all 3 at one time or another. The original P85 was ok, but the P85MKII was flawless and what Ruger based the P89 on. I read a few Ruger P series reviews as well as shot all three mentioned above. If the slide is tight, it comes with the 2 origional** 15rnders, plastic box, and lock, it might be worth 300. JMO. I'd take it somewhere apropreiate and run a hundred rounds through it if you could before the purchase. Ruger has GREAT CusSer and its still covered 100% no matter how many people have owned it. After all its 25yrs old, right? FWIW. ~ Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom