• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Review: Palmetto State Armory LPK (Lower Parts Kit) for AR15

I ordered a lower parts kit from Palmetto. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1361.php
It was so damn cheap with their grip and trigger guard packages I thought I'd give it a try.
I was expecting rough casting marks and overall cheap materials but I was very much surprised to find a high quality lower parts kit.

I have used Stag, DPMS, Armalite for other builds. Palmetto's kit ranks up there with the Armalite and Stag.

DPMS is by far the worst. The detent pins are cheaply made, the fire selector and pin are very rough. (When compared to my Stag or Palmetto)
After installing DPMS kits I have always had problems moving the detent pins as they seem to get stuck very often, requiring the use of force to break the detent loose. The fire selector on a few of them were difficult to rotate until broken in. After time these issues wear down and become easier to use but it's a nuisance for a while until that happens.

The first thing I noticed about the Palmetto kit were the detent pins which were uniformly cut, and cleanly finished. The entire kit was coated in a thin oil. After getting the pins in, I had no issues with them and was very happy with the way they functioned.

The disconnector spring was actually painted in green so you could tell the difference between that and the bolt catch spring. Nice little touch.

The trigger is on par with my factory Stag and Armalite trigger. Better than the DPMS which has significant creep.
But in general a stock trigger is really nothing to write home about.

Summary:
I've never had any malfunctions with any LPK's that I've used. Every one I've installed has always worked regardless of how crappy they seem to be manufactured. Given the great price of the Palmetto kit (cheap), I really don't know if I would buy any other brand. I may pick up another one or few to keep around for future builds.

Last edited:
Now I'm kind of wishing I bought the Palmetto lower parts package which includes the Giessele SSA trigger.
Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard, Palmetto LPK and the Giessele SSA trigger all for $215? that's about $60-$70 cheaper than if you were to piece it together yourself.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1071.php

It's not too late. That trigger is sweet. [thumbsup]

Now I'm kind of wishing I bought the Palmetto lower parts package which includes the Giessele SSA trigger.
Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard, Palmetto LPK and the Giessele SSA trigger all for $215? that's about $60-$70 cheaper than if you were to piece it together yourself.

That's exactly what I got for my AR. The SSA trigger is excellent.

I bought the lower parts kit with Magpul Moe grip at $52.95 Like you said it is of good quality. I wished they would send their lower's to Ma FFL, they just had a sale on them at $50.00

So you totally sold me one of these. Out of curiosity, did Palmetto send you shipping notification and tracking and such? It's been a few days now, and I've heard jack squat from them. Might be on the way, but I have no idea. Typical?

So you totally sold me one of these. Out of curiosity, did Palmetto send you shipping notification and tracking and such? It's been a few days now, and I've heard jack squat from them. Might be on the way, but I have no idea. Typical?

Yeah they are a bit slow to respond (1-2 days to send a shipment notice) but it's certainly not a long wait like some other retailers that just sit around and do nothing for a week.

Yeah they are a bit slow to respond (1-2 days to send a shipment notice) but it's certainly not a long wait like some other retailers that just sit around and do nothing for a week.

Thanks for the info. If there actually is supposed to be a shipping notice, I'll probably ping them and see what's up.

I ended up grabbing the Enhanced trigger version, for an 18" rifle-gas SPR I'm building, my first adventure into "precision" ARs.

I purchased the MOE lower build kit from them over the 4th of July weekend. Took about 10 days to arrive. I got an order confirmation, but no shipping info. Between the sale on the 4th and a Father's day lower reciever sale, they are backed up a bit in the shipping area.

I just did a google search for reviews on this exact kit and this was the first link that google gave me. Just ordered one because of this review and it's going on my group buy lower once it comes in.

P.S. Sorry for the necropost

Ordered one up for my zombie build! Got some sort of fancy one with a ssa-e trigger I'm looking forward to seeing what a real nice trigger is like!

Thanks! I just ordered one for my next build.

Just ordered the MOE Gen2 LPK for my NES 2012 build! Tough to beat, $60 for an LPK with the MOE grip and enhanced trigger guard.

Back
Top Bottom