Review:Crimson Trace Laser Grips on a 642

rep308

NES Member
I love my little Smith and Wesson 642 2" .38 special revolver. However I have never been able to shoot it to accurately, the little sights and short barrel make it tough. I've been comfortable with my ability to get 5 shots on a paper bag at 25 feet.

I got a chance to try a set of Crimson Trace laser grips from a member of my club. I posted a question or two here and ended up ordering a set of LG-405's from Crimson Trace for $179 with my NRA instructor discount, they run about $240 on line. It took me about 5 minutes to insert the two batteries and replace the standard grips with the laser grips.

It couldn't be easier to operate. There is a little switch on the bottom of the grip and a button on the front strap that operates the laser with pressure from your middle finger. The laser has a 200 hour life and you really can not accidentally leave it on like other optics.

I took it to the range without reading any instructions and found it shot two inches high and two inches left at 25 feet. After reading the manual and watching the YouTube video, I figured out how to use the little allen wrench to adjust the windage and elevation. A quarter turn seemed to move the point of impact about an inch at 50 feet.

I was able to get it zeroed and holding two inch groups from 50 feet on sandbags. Standing at 25 feet I was able to get 5 shots in the black on an standard NRA pistol target, something I could never do before. The laser is pretty darn amazing in that I can keep both eyes open and still hold tight groups, something I could never do with the standard sights.

The laser grips have given me added confidence in hitting my target with my little 642. They seem pretty sturdy, needing only a Q-Tip cleaning on the lens every now and then. They are not cheap, but they do the job.

Thanks to the forum for the advice.

Nice write-up! Glad you like your LaserGrips. I bought my 642CT over 2-years ago and since then have seen the light - so to speak...[wink]

After carrying a 1911 in one form or another for 20-years, my adjustment to the 642CT did not come without its trials and tribulations. Ultimately, membership in THR, 'The 642 Club', a lot of range time, (I mean a lot) and changing my thought processes on defensive shooting helped to transform my 642CT from a frustration monster, into a potent carry option...

First, I had to let go of visions of tight groups at 25 yards - in fact, I let go of shooting tight groups at 25 feet. I also stopped using the guns sight - almost altogether. I read much on point shooting and took a class from Gary, (RoundGun Shooter) which added icing to the 642CT cake. A lot of what I read had people painting their front ramp with everything from model paint to nail polish. In my case, if Smith and Wesson made a 642 with zero sights at all - I'd be fist in line to buy it - 'point shooting' is my friend now and I can't remember a time recently when I looked down the sight channel. I also brought my focus from 25-yards to 25-inches. With most likely street defense to be down, dirty and up close - my range practice happens from 0-feet to 10-feet almost exclusively. I went from shooting for tight groups in the 'X-ring' to shooting for any groups 'center mass'. It freed me really....And what was more surprising, is that my groups actually shrunk.

Purists dislike the CrimsonTrace grips, (they seem to think they're "gadgety"), but I love them. For me, they add the final element to the 642 as a defensive package. The only issue I had was dialing them down. They're sighted in at the factory for 50-feet and with my shooting happening at much shorter distances, I had to adjust them significantly. I wish I had thought about the YouTube video, because the process was painstaking. You're right about the adjustment - a little goes a long way...I remember dialing the windage what I thought was a half-turn and shooting right off the paper...[wink] Now however, it's dialed in for center mass at 10-feet. The 642CT coupled with the Speer +P 135gr GDHP makes for a potent, effective carry option. It's now all I carry and all I need....[cheers]

I have them on my G30 and don't like the added width to the grip, where the batteries are. the LG-405 is different as it is the grip!

maybe I'll sell the G30 set..[thinking][hmmm]

I was hesitant to buy a J-frame, but bought a 642CT about a year ago, and now can't say enough about it.

It has become one of the two guns I carry on a regular basis, and I have have tremendous confidence in my ability to use it effectively.

I have laser sights on several other handguns as well, including my M&P9 Compact and they can't be beat.

They've helped enormously in improving my range shooting by helping me see how my trigger release impacts the POA.

I have a 642 w/CT. I still need to make minor adjustments on mine.

Do you have a link to the youtube video you had used?

I've considered getting these for my 442, but there is something that concerns me. Every time I've tried them out at one of those CT displays with the blue guns I always have an issue where my right index finger blocks the beam when my finger is straight and off the trigger. I have to consciously move my finger off of the frame and onto the trigger guard to get it out of the way (something I'm not comfortable with, sympathetic reflex and all that). Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else noticed this problem?

My carry is a 642 to which I added the lg 105 CT's. The only issue I have is the size, the 105's are the smallest j frame grips, wish I'd have gotten the 305 or 405's... other than that they are a big help in shooting this little gun.

Well, I stopped by LSA on my way home with another box of 50rds of Speer GDHP 135gr +P and that teenie-tiny allen wrench. I replaced the batteries, so I wanted to make sure I was on target. A tweak of windage and a touch of elevation and these puppies are on target. Shooting center-mass from 2-feet to 25-feet. The funny thing was, the muzzle blast from my 642CT launched the wrench out of the CT box lid and onto the floor. It was a miracle I found it...Though I would have been okay - these things are dialed friggin in...

Well, I stopped by LSA on my way home with another box of 50rds of Speer GDHP 135gr +P and that teenie-tiny allen wrench. I replaced the batteries, so I wanted to make sure I was on target. A tweak of windage and a touch of elevation and these puppies are on target. Shooting center-mass from 2-feet to 25-feet. The funny thing was, the muzzle blast from my 642CT launched the wrench out of the CT box lid and onto the floor. It was a miracle I found it...Though I would have been okay - these things are dialed friggin in...

Yeah, those allen wrenches are tiny. I saw a tip somewhere, where a guy made a flag out of colored tape, like masking tape, and attached it to the center of the allen wrench. That way if you drop the wrench you can just look for the tape which is much easier to see. I gotta try this next time I adjust my lasers.

Yeah, those allen wrenches are tiny. I saw a tip somewhere, where a guy made a flag out of colored tape, like masking tape, and attached it to the center of the allen wrench. That way if you drop the wrench you can just look for the tape which is much easier to see. I gotta try this next time I adjust my lasers.

Wow! The simplest things...My daughter is a duct-tape addict....She and her friends collect the wildest colors of duct tape they can fine and decorate everything - from books, to bags, to bracelets - her camp trunk is covered with it. I just snagged a strip of lime-green and affixed it to both wrenches...Perfect! +1 [cheers]

I do something similar, but with an old foam ear plug:

P2230110.jpg

I always have an issue where my right index finger blocks the beam when my finger is straight and off the trigger.

Although I shoot left handed, I've noticed this too (a finger occluding the laser) when I use a two handed grip. I resort to pushing my right (non-dominate) thumb forward and along the frame to clear the beam. That results in my thumbnail resting directly under the cylinder gap. NOT recommended as YMMV! However, even with .38 +P, I didn't notice the blast from the gap until I saw the black soot marks on my thumb nail.

Just a little something to add;

As a lefty shooter with the CT LG-405, I wrap my pinky finger under the bottom of the laser grip: (shown here with the pinky extened for clarity) It may be hard to see, but underneath where my pinky wraps is the laser switch. Occasionally, when firing with a firm grip, the pinky finger will move the switch to the rear and shut off the laser. I've considered putting a small piece of silicone (or something similar) in there to keep the switch from inadvertantly shutting off. Becasue as we all know; Murphy will shut off the laser in this manner at the most inopportune moment!

P2230111.jpg

Also as a southpaw, the top of the laser module makes a great spot to rest my dominate thumb when firing one or two-handed!

Check your rep Andy - that's some good posting right there my friend...Food for thought, as I spend about 20% of my range time shooting southpaw for practice in case my strong arm goes down...I have big gorilla mitts, but have not had an issue blocking the laser at all - I think I just have my grip down...

Snip...
[M]y right index finger blocks the beam when my finger is straight and off the trigger. I have to consciously move my finger off of the frame and onto the trigger guard to get it out of the way (something I'm not comfortable with, sympathetic reflex and all that). Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Ochmude,

I have my 642 with the CT-405 grips, and I too worried about blocking the beam... until I was reminded that this is my SHTF defense... I'm not using this gun for match-grade target shooting! When I expose this gun, it is either because "I need it RIGHT NOW!" or because I'm practicing for when "I need it RIGHT NOW!". ("Train as you fight")

In either of those cases, my finger will not be blocking the laser for very long!

For those other cases when I'm not performing those urgent drills, I'll put up with the blocking-of-the-beam. Additionally, by being conscious of seeing the beam splashed all over my fingertip, I'm now trying to practice "beam-finger button control" when gripping more casually as I move around before reaching my shooting position. By only lighting up on command, I'm less likely to give my position away by carelessly flashing my "dot" until I assume my firing grip, ready to shoot.

One other very good use for the laser is during dry fire practice: try to keep the dot still throughout the entire firing sequence! Start your movement is slow motion, then advance to full speed and see how the dot moves.

As to the aiming point, remember that this gun is used for instinctive point-blank range. Even if the laser is set for 50', you're still not going to be very far off with your target at 15'.

I whole-heartedly recommend them!

Thanks for the Link and yes I was figuring on 15' to site the laser in.
I also like the idea of putting the tiny tool in some foam not to lose.

I'm just curious. How are the LG405's compared to the LG305's I think it is. The 305's are the long grips and the 405's are the compact grips. I have shot a j-frame with the 305's. I was able to get my full hand on the grip.

I'm curious how many fingers you can get on the grip of the 405's and how comfortable it is to shoot.

LT1MCSS,
See post #16 in this thread.

My pinky finger dangles off the end of the LG-405

The 405 will fit in a pocket, while (according to CT) the 305 is a bit long and may not fit.

So if carrying in a holster (IWB/OWB) the 305 is probably the better option. If carrying in a pocket, the 405 is the better option.

Back
Top Bottom