• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Returning Kel Tec Sub 2K For Service

I need to return my Sub 2K to Kel Tec for service and have a couple questions.
1. I believe I can send it via USPS, if anyone has done this, I'd appreciate hearing your experience/tips etc.
2. If you have dealt with Kel Tec for warranty service, how was your experience?

Please feel free to also reply with any remarks, snarky or otherwise concerning Kel Tec products. [laugh] I look forward to your posts.

I had to send a Kel Tec sub 2k in because of a recall on the barrel. I don't recall who I shipped it thru, Kel Tec sent me a pre paid shipping label. The turn around time on it was about a month. They shipped it right back to my house. And sent me a couple of magazines with it.

I LOVE my Sub 2K!
Not sure what your issue is, but if it's not the barrel, you might consider trying to fix it yourself with some upgrade parts from MCARBO, down in Florida. He seems like a very good guy and he make many excellent parts/upgrades along with excellent instructional installation videos. I've done 90% of what he offers and have one sweet shootin pack-able rifle. If you have to send it to Kel-Tec, I'd call, get an RMA number (or what ever they call their return authorization), and send it insured. Guns going back to a manufacturer for repair work don't need to return through an FFL.

Never just send in a firearm for service. Every maker I know will email you a prepaid label for warranty service, and give you an RMA (returned merchandise authorization) number. If you haven't called Kel-Tec yet, that's the very next thing I'd do.

I know about sending guns back to the manufacturer for warranty service and getting an RMA and preprinted label. I asked the question the way I did because it's possible they may not consider it a warranty repair. I may have caused the broken part myself during cleaning. I will call tomorrow and try to explain my issue and see what they say.

I LOVE my Sub 2K!
Not sure what your issue is, but if it's not the barrel, you might consider trying to fix it yourself with some upgrade parts from MCARBO, down in Florida. He seems like a very good guy and he make many excellent parts/upgrades along with excellent instructional installation videos. I've done 90% of what he offers and have one sweet shootin pack-able rifle. If you have to send it to Kel-Tec, I'd call, get an RMA number (or what ever they call their return authorization), and send it insured. Guns going back to a manufacturer for repair work don't need to return through an FFL.
My sub2k in 40(I know I know) leaves divers through casings on the 3rd round on a full mag and every three after. And it fails to chamber that round. Sometimes it completely is through the casing Making it nearly unusable

I LOVE my Sub 2K!
I got a G17 sub2k and dumped a bunch of money into - triggers/springs, red dot mount, red dot, recoil pad etc to name a few. It’s now very shootable as those factory sights are TERRIBLE. Factory trigger wasn’t great either.

I know about sending guns back to the manufacturer for warranty service and getting an RMA and preprinted label. I asked the question the way I did because it's possible they may not consider it a warranty repair. I may have caused the broken part myself during cleaning. I will call tomorrow and try to explain my issue and see what they say.
If you broke it while cleaning, you can fix it yourself.

I bet someone here can give you instructions or there is a video.

What did you break?

I have a Gen 1 and bent the butt stock pin while cleaning. I could not simply push it back in, but I was able to remove it. At some point during my attempt at reassembly, a little plunger, spring and detent fell out of the rear of the stock from a hole right on the edge of the buffer which the stock pin goes thru and holds the bolt and recoil spring assembly in the tube. I see no way to hold the plunger, spring assembly in place, its just a hole in the end of the buttstock.

I will be calling Kel-Tec service today and see what they say. I saw a video of a Gen II dis-assembly and I like the way the buttstock pin just comes out completely and also offers a little adjustability of length of pull, but have no interest in getting a Gen II. I would rather have an AR-9 or maybe the Ruger PC9. After I call their service line, I'll post what they say.

Back
Top Bottom