Results in: Heading up to Manchester Firing Line around 2pm -- Feedback welcome

djo

I'll be the noob missing the target. [wink]

If you are going to be there say hello, I'm in all Adidas gear today.

--DanO

Last edited:
Was busy, as expected for a Saturday, but had fun. Wanted to rent an HK USP to try and they had a 9mm available, it felt good in my hand.

Below is an image of 30 rounds from between 10m - 15m, didn't think I did too bad for a beginner (other than the two big outliers high and low). What distance do you guys typically use for handgun target shooting/training?

Thanks,
--DanO

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 61
My theory of defensive pistol shooting is that target shooting is exactly the wrong thing to practice. I practice at all ranges out to 25 yards, but that's just because I love shooting. (That, and my annual qualification for my job requires 6 rounds kneeling barricade from both sides at 25 yards.)

Everyone knows about the Tueller Drill, where you practice drawing and firing before an attacker can cross 21 feet and slash you across the throat with a knife. It's good knowledge to have, but here's the problem: we cannot possibly keep our personal bubble at a 7 yard radius. A far more valuable drill in the real world is starting at about 30 inches (conversational distance), shoving/striking with your weak hand while drawing, rocking back (and drawing back your weak hand, for obvious reasons!), and firing two shots from the hip (retention position). Take a long stride back, center the gun and take a modified two hand grip (elbows bent, close to your body, gun out of reach of the attacker) and fire again, stride backwards again so that you have enough room to fully extend your arms, and fire again.

Most people who are comfortable with their gun will hit COM with all four shots. They'll definitely be in the torso; they might be all over the torso, but they will count, and they will buy you time to take more aimed shots if needed.

One of the most predictable things about teaching defensive gun use is taking a first-timer to the range, setting up a silhouette, and saying, "Okay, let's go walk up to the target and get ready to shoot." Every time, they will stop at 7-15 yards. And when I encourage them to keep walking closer, closer, their eyes get wider and they say, "Really? Here?"

Yup. Here. They're thinking the silhouette is a Bad Guy, so they don't want to get close to him. How close do you think you're going to be when you realize that "Oh, f#@$!, this guy needs shooting!"? It's not going to be when he's 15 yards away before angling quickly toward you with a "Yo! My man!" Bad breath distance is much more typical for initial contact. Whether or not your state requires "duty to retreat" before using deadly force, good tactics alone are reason enough to buy some space between yourself and the BG. If you're 25 yards away, that's time to hunker down behind some cover and think how you're going to get to your shotgun or rifle.

That's why I practice at 1 yard, 3 yards, and 7 yards. If you can hit the 10 ring at 25 yards, you can hit it at 1 yard, but if you can't draw and deliver at 1 yard, you might not get the chance to get 25 yards of space.

Excellent point, makes a lot of sense. I never really thought of it that way before. Looks like I have something new to do at the range. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom