• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Required Legal Restrictions?

I contacted the Chief of Police in my city via email in regards to what I could do about getting my restrictions lifted. He responded in part "we have several thousand licenses of various types, within the city, many with required legal restrictions, under current Massachusetts law." Now I am relatively new to the Massachusetts gun scene but I know what I can and can't do with my license I simply do not have the time to go over the entire section in the MGL's that pertain to firearm licensing and owning a firearm.
This phrase stood out because I thought restrictions were at the discretion of the CLEO. I have never heard about "required legal restrictions." Could anyone shed some light on this for me. Are there even such restrictions?

Sounds like you sent a message like, how can I get my restrictions removed on my license.

His response is one of befuddlement. You probably did not ask How can I get the Sporting & Target restriction removed from my LTC-A firearms permit.

Thats why he said they have several thousand licenses of various types. He was talking peddlers, food service, liquor, tents, fishing, fire, sewer, taxi, etc those licenses! They do have legally required restrictions on some of those.

You just were not clear and his response back was to be expected.
Send him a clearer message in writing and I bet you will get a better response.

Sounds like you sent a message like, how can I get my restrictions removed on my license.

His response is one of befuddlement. You probably did not ask How can I get the Sporting & Target restriction removed from my LTC-A firearms permit.

Thats why he said they have several thousand licenses of various types. He was talking peddlers, food service, liquor, tents, fishing, fire, sewer, taxi, etc those licenses! They do have legally required restrictions on some of those.

You just were not clear and his response back was to be expected.
Send him a clearer message in writing and I bet you will get a better response.

No, I made it clear that I was talking about my LTC-A with restrictions in my email to him. The email was short and to the point. Dear Chief ******, I am writing you in regards to my License to Carry a Firearm Permit issued me by the city of ******. You restricted my License to Target and Hunting and I would like to get my restrictions lifted. Is there anything I can do to accomplish this? Thank you.

No, I made it clear that I was talking about my LTC-A with restrictions in my email to him. The email was short and to the point. Dear Chief ******, I am writing you in regards to my License to Carry a Firearm Permit issued me by the city of ******. You restricted my License to Target and Hunting and I would like to get my restrictions lifted. Is there anything I can do to accomplish this? Thank you.

Then you got an email back from some lackey that answers his email and not the chief because that statement he made is just stupid.
If it was the chief, then he sounds like he is reading from the manual of public relations. Talk to and around the question and never answer it.

"we have several thousand licenses of various types, within the city, many with required legal restrictions, under current Massachusetts law."

It's bullshit, it's called "stonewalling". It is an infringement on Your Constitutional Right. One of the many this state imposes.

There are organizations in this state that are trying to get this changed. Two of them are here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom