• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Requesting a Flag

I am putting together a shadow box for my father. He retired from the Army some time ago, and I know he misses it. I am trying to get everything together to present it to him at my wedding as a gift in a few months. My question is: is it possible to get a US Flag that was flown in Iraq or Astan, or even over a major military installation? If so, how would one go about requesting it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My brother in law is in A-stan right now, I'll ask him if he knows of any programs or whatever. I'm sure he'd fly one if I sent him one to fly, but his tour is wrapping up soon so it may be too late.

In the mean time you can order one that was flown over Old Ironsides: http://www.history.navy.mil/ussconstitution/Flags.html (More of a Navy thing but still pretty cool.)

My brother in law is in A-stan right now, I'll ask him if he knows of any programs or whatever. I'm sure he'd fly one if I sent him one to fly, but his tour is wrapping up soon so it may be too late.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but if you try directly calling a few bases you could probably find someone very willing to do this for you, especially if you explain the circumstances and that it's for a veteran. When I was in the Marines I personally flew a flag over the USS Arizona Memorial at the request of a Navy veteran that just called our office out of the blue wanting to do the same thing you have in mind. I bet if you called the public affairs office of any base and explained your intentions, they'd be very willing to help. They might even be able to provide the flag for free.

EDIT: This would work for stateside venues, but due to the simple logistics it might be a little more complicated to get one flown overseas unless someone has a personal contact willing to do it.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

He should be home in about 3 weeks so it's too late to mail him one to fly, but my sister will ask him if he could scrounge one and bring it home with him. No guarantees.

There were commemorative "flown-flag" programs at each of the bases our unit was at overseas... unfortunately, the only flags available to us were cheap nylon 3x5' flags. Each flag had a accompanying certificate ... and a service member could provide a flag to be flown for a certain date.

For a good quality flag, I would suggest making the arrangements in advance with a Soldier or unit as they are getting ready to deploy... or I have another suggestion that I'll PM to you...

i am heading over there in a month and will be back up in MA on pre-deployment leave for the next two weeks, if you get me the flag i can get it flown for you

thanks guys, DevX send me a pm on how you want to do the flag exchange, i can fly it here at Camp Lejeune or overseas when I get there and try to mail it back (not sure how good the mail will be where we are going, worse case I'll carry it back and mail it to you...but that would be a 7 month delay!)

DevX, it looks like there is no shortage of people willing to personally help you out. If I can suggest one more option...if you can contact someone in the Air Force you might have a very good chance to get a flag that was flown in a combat mission with a certificate. Most pilots are given a good number of flags before a mission for the sole purpose of having flags for presentations (airman of the year/quarter/maintenance professional, etc.) and retirements. So if Public Affairs can't help right off the bat you might be able to get some better help from someone "on the inside" to get what you need. Typically if you request a flag that was flown over the White House for example I believe the time from paperwork to receiving a flag is 2-6 months.

I'm currently in Iraq with the army. If you have enough time until you need the flag I would be honored to fly one on this fob for a vet. The ones we can buy here are poor quality but if you would like me to do this and can send a flag out PM me. I would be able to get pictures of it for you, and being a small fob maybe even have the commander and CSM make something up for him. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom