Request to move big guns away from 22's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am will toss in support for Jose on the hearing protection dispute - I read the "When the shit hits the fan" as meaning that if we ever have to use our rifles in defense of life and liberty that we won't likely be shooting 22's or using hearing protection.

+2. His post clearly referred to use of firearms in life-threatening situations.

Why can't we all just get along? [wink]

A few years after Rodney King said that, he was riding a bicycle down the street when someone shot him with a shotgun. I wonder if he was wearing hearing protection at the time...? [laugh]

under a situation, you will barley hear the gun shot well you will hear it but it will be a mumble sound more than anything. a little bit of adrenaline will muffle the sound more than the best hearing protection. recoil will also be dampened significantly. so when the SHTF you can grab a 300win mag and have at it.

but even though it doesn’t sound loud it still slowly eats your hearing, I’m not deaf but I can't hear good.

so the idea of practicing without hearing protection for a situation is 100% idiotic.

Last edited:
I am will toss in support for Jose on the hearing protection dispute - I read the "When the shit hits the fan" as meaning that if we ever have to use our rifles in defense of life and liberty that we won't likely be shooting 22's or using hearing protection.

I suspect you'll be shooting whatever you can lay your hands on, be it a .22 or a Carcano. And so what if you won't be wearing hearing protection? Jose has been sneering at the use of a .22 for training for months now, and now he's sneering at the comments about the noise of a centerfire, like they should be shooting without any protection to man up and get used to it.

Personally, I can't even imagine what a full-fledged battle might sound like - I've been at NES shoots with a LOT of guns going off at once and my imagination trips out trying to picture that when half of the guns are pointed AT me. BUT... that doesn't mean that I'm going to train for it by not wearing my hearing protection.

if you wanted to simulate real life situation, bust open the wasp nest at the range and then try shoot a sub moa group.

that should put about the correct amount of adrenaline in you, good luck!!!!

I suspect you'll be shooting whatever you can lay your hands on, be it a .22 or a Carcano. And so what if you won't be wearing hearing protection? Jose has been sneering at the use of a .22 for training for months now, and now he's sneering at the comments about the noise of a centerfire, like they should be shooting without any protection to man up and get used to it.

Let me be f-ing clear about one thing. I have NOT and will NOT suggest that people shoot without hearing protection unless they simply can't put it on due to exigent circumstances. You are the one putting words in my mouth, even though at least two people on this thread got the exact meaning of my comments and said so themselves.

My point is simply this: to the OP, deal with the noise and muzzle blast of centerfire rifles next to you. It is part and parcel of being a rifleman.

On 22s. There you go again putting words in my mouth. I am on record here, many times, advocating the use of 22 LR rifles to train and practice. I do so myself and I have acknowledged many times here the positive effect they have had on my skills with a centerfire rifle.

What I do have a problem with is the appleseed sales pitch that getting a rifleman patch makes you a 500 yard man. It does not. Not even close. It may give you the basic skills upon which to build and become a competent rifleman, but there is no way on God's green earth that someone, new to rifles, can go to an Appleseed (even a full distance one) and be able to reliably hit man sized targets at anything past 300 yards. The wind takes a dramatic toll on bullets at such distances and compensating for it takes far more than a weekend to learn.

Adding one more opinion.

LoneGunner said:
Not just "hard core shooters or survivalists" go to appleseeds, right? While some of us might consider it good training to be able to nail targets with hot brass flying in our faces, others might not appreciate that. Specifically shooting newbies or people that are on the fence about shooting and going to an appleseed might not enjoy getting hit with hot brass. I think we should make their experience enjoyable, so that they will come back again.

There are people of all different levels and places in their lives. We want to attract and retain as many shooters as possible. I like the idea of being able to separate and space out the lines according to shooter preference if possible for people that don't appreciate getting hit with hot brass. I've been to one appleseed and endured hot brass from a Ruger 10/22 on my neck. It left a scar for quite a while and it hurt. If that happened to someone else they might not want to come back. My main point is that we are trying to recruit and retain people to the sport, and not everybody is in the same place mentally with regard to the 2nd ammendment and shooting. That's my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom